Greyhound Is Losing Weight Rapidly Please Help

Guest VelvetEars

Guest VelvetEars

Our greyhound is losing weight extremely fast.

I have tried giving her extra wet food and and raw food but it just gives her more diarrhea.

I think she is near the point of death. All of her bones are visible and she is having trouble walking.

Whe she lays down, her body is all twisted like she just fell over.

She is at the point that it is hard to get her to even drink water.

I have a vet appointment for tommorow but I am not sure if she will make it that long.

My wife is out of town and she is the one that knows about Greyhounds. Can you think of anything I might have missed?

Edited by VelvetEars

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If she is that thin and weak, I would not wait until tomorrow. Take her to the emergency vet. She may need IV fluids to re-hydrate her, and who knows what else..

Please take her in asap...

:goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Most vets will work you in for an emergency, but if not, please do go to the evet. It sounds like she is likely very dehydrated and will need fluids. Good thoughts coming your way.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Please get this dog some help immediately.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

are you talking about Jane?

I would definitely get help...have you called your wife?!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Please take her to the vet now! Let your vet know how urgent this is....definitely an emergency! If your vet STILL won't see her then find another or go to the emergency vet. Please don't wait until tomorrow. :hope :hope Has she been deteriorating for some time?

Guest VelvetEars
are you talking about Jane?

I would definitely get help...have you called your wife?!

No it is Porsche

I am on the phone with the animal hospital now.

Meredith mother is a home with Porsche trying to keep her hydrated until I can get home.

oh no :cry1 have her try to give her some pedialyte with a turkey baster or something until you can get her in to the vet's...but she really needs fluids and probably needs to get in ASAP...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Rapid weight loss is definitely a sign of something very serious. Please get her to an E-Vet or call your vet and tell them this is an emergency and she can't wait, often times they will squeeze you in

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest VelvetEars

She had gone downhill a great deal since this afternoon.

The vet says it was not dehydration but something very serious.

She began bleeding out her nose and lost the ability to move on her own.

We had to make the hard choice to put her to sleep.

Thanks for your prayers and concern.