What's The Best Antibiotic To Have On Hand?

Guest greyhounder

Guest greyhounder

I've just learned that you can buy most antibiotics without a Rx from online supply stores. It's packaged for fish, but its the same stuff. I would love to have some one hand for the times we don't need a trip to the vet but may need an antibiotic.. or even if we have to go to the vet I can forgo their high prices for antibiotics..

One particular company send a pill splitter to make for accurate dosing

Cephalexin monohydrate

Amoxicillin

Erythromycin

Penicillin

All of these are available in 250mg and 500mg.. For a LOT less than at the vet, with no Rx.. Any ideas?

Would you do this to save $$ at the vet?

Edited by greyhounder

Don't do it. There isn't much that you can diagnose and treat at home and antibiotic resistance is a HUGE deal. If your dog has a chronic or recurrent condition and your vet agrees to having antibiotics on hand, then ask him to write a script and take it to WalMart or Target. It'll be cheaper.

If your dog has a cut that is severe enough to require antibiotics, then he probably needs veterinary attention. For less severe dings, cuts and scrapes, soap and water is just fine.

The only antibiotic that a pet owner might want to keep on hand to use as needed would be Flagyl (metronidazole).

Lynn

Like I said, $4 prescriptions are available for every one of those and many more at WalMart or Target. If you live in the southeast, you can get them for free (with a prescription from your vet) at any Publix. My vet is more than willing to script out. It saves us a bunch of money on things like antibiotics, pain control and cardiac meds.

The ones you listed aren't good for much that you'd encounter in day-to-day health issues and would likely sit in your medicine cabinet unused. Cephalexin is the only one of those that I keep on hand here, and that's only for adoption dogs with staph infections. The other ones that I use enough that I keep on hand to use *on direction of the vet* aren't available as fish meds.

Lynn

I've just learned that you can buy most antibiotics without a Rx from online supply stores. It's packaged for fish, but its the same stuff. I would love to have some one hand for the times we don't need a trip to the vet but may need an antibiotic.. or even if we have to go to the vet I can forgo their high prices for antibiotics..

One particular company send a pill splitter to make for accurate dosing

Cephalexin monohydrate

Amoxicillin

Erythromycin

Penicillin

All of these are available in 250mg and 500mg.. For a LOT less than at the vet, with no Rx.. Any ideas?

Would you do this to save $ at the vet?

No, I wouldn't....for the reasons Lynn gave you.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

antibiotic resistance is a HUGE deal.

... HUGE!!! Antibiotics are misused so badly that resistance is one of the biggest problems with trying to find the right antibiotic to use on anyone, human or animal. You should never give/take an antibiotic for 1, 2 or 3 days and then stop. Antibiotics should always be taken in 7 to 10 day courses and sometimes, depending on the infection, 14 days.

Plus, you don't know where there are coming from. They're cheap for a reason... usually that reason is that the quality control steps at the factory are not well followed (or are completely absent) and/or the ingredients are of a lower standard.

If you have a dog with recurrent UTIs, for example, I wouldn't see anything wrong with having 2-3 days of abx on hand to cover weekends when the vet is not open. But I would consult your vet about that and get the meds (or a scrip) from him/her.

Do you really pay $50 for 10 days of cephalexin? I think I pay something like $3 ....... Clavamox and Baytril are another story but cephalexin and amoxicillin are C.H.E.A.P.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would not trust the quality control on fish pill for any reason for my dog.

I've invested way to much time, energy, and love into my dog to risk putting junk intended to be disolved in a fish tank in his body! You need to be able to afford basic veterinary care when you own a dog. There are safer ways to cut back on costs!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I wouldn't take the risk. Most vets will write a prescription if you ask. Plus antibiotics target different bacteria (gram positive or gram negative). I would want a vet to prescribe the correct one. If you have a recurrent infection, then you could ask to have some on hand.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

I think that having a home supply of antibiotics is a great idea. Just as soon as you have those three magical letters after your last name that is!! D.V.M.

Until you have those letters, please leave the prescribing to the vet. Get the script filled elsewhere to save money, but self prescribing is a bad idea. You could end up giving your pet an unnecessary dose of meds, or your pet could miss out on what might turn out to be a life saving exam with your vet. Not worth it to me.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest KennelMom

We keep flagyl, cephalexin, amoxicillan, rimadyl, doxy and tramadol on hand (I think that's all). We have so many dogs that buying in bulk for some items made sense. W/the antibiotics, our vet writes down the dosing for us. We *rarely* have ever given antibiotics w/o consulting our vet first, even if it's a phone consult. Sometimes he prefers something we don't keep on hand, so I prefer to ask.

I'd say forgo the antibiotics, but Flagyl is great to keep on hand.

I would not trust the quality control on fish pill for any reason for my dog.

I know the drugs the OP is talking about and they are the same exact pill as what your vet gives you. Same manufacturers markings and everything. We used to use them a few years ago and I took them all to our vet and he said "yep" same exact pill (comparing it to his own stock). Ultimately, ordering the fish meds (unless it's flagyl) probably isn't worth the effort if you have only a couple of dogs.

Edited by KennelMom

I'm not talking about different bacterium.. I'm talking about wound care

Not all wounds require vet care

Bacteria are what infect the wound. You wouldn't get antibiotics for anything other that fighting bacteria because that's what they do. By definition... ANTI-BIOTIC means KILLS- BACTERIA. If you have a small wound you shouldn't need oral antibiotics or a vet... I agree with that. But if you have a large infected wound then you need a vet.

Here is the dictionary.com definition of antibiotics...

an·ti·bi·ot·ic [an-ti-bahy-ot-ik, -bee-, an-tee-, -tahy-]

Biochemistry, Pharmacology

–noun 1. any of a large group of chemical substances, as penicillin or streptomycin, produced by various microorganisms and fungi, having the capacity in dilute solutions to inhibit the growth of or to destroy bacteria and other microorganisms, used chiefly in the treatment of infectious diseases.

By "microorganisms" they mean bacteria, a few fungi and even fewer parasites. Sorry if I'm getting snippy here but I have a degree in microbiology and biotechnology... and misuse of antibiotics is very dangerous in the medical community and is a huge problem across the globe. People should not use them sporadically for a couple of days here and then a couple of days there. That breeds antibiotic resistance... which occrus in the bacterium. Then that resistant bacterium is spread to other animals and people.

If your pup has a wound that you think needs anitbiotics... then you need to see a vet. If you don't think you need to see a vet... then you don't need antibiotics.