Blitz Update, Friday Morning

From my husband's e-mail to me:

The surgeon believes Blitz is having a reaction to the Amicar: they're seeing increased bruising, swelling of the limbs, a rash, slightly lower heart rate, weakness/wobbliness of the limbs, and still the anxiety/panting. She reviewed the other meds he's on, and either he's been on them before with no problem or they wouldn't be a realistic cause of these symptoms. So they've stopped giving him the Amicar, and she's going to consult her cousin who's a pharmisist and with OSU once they open. The OSU study did note anxiety in some of the hounds they gave Amicar too, but didn't mention the other symptoms.

They took out all of his catheters because with the limb swelling they didn't want to cause a thrombosis/clot, but he is drinking water so he is getting hydrated. They did do some more blood tests to make sure the cause of the symptoms wasn't something else, and his red and white cell counts are fine. They're also going to do another chest X-ray just to be safe.

She said it would take between 24 and 48 hours for any Amicar still in his system to wear off, so while she didn't say anything about a timeframe for release, I doubt we'll get him back today and maybe not until Monday given all of this.

Me again:

:(

I have to be here at school a little longer to get mid-marking period reports done, but I will visit him on my way home and get an update.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I visited with Blitz for a little bit - I had to visit with him back in the ICU for the first time in all the time he's spent there.

Ugh, where to start? I was able to actually meet the surgeon for the first time. She said Blitz had a really rough night - between 1 and 2 in the morning he got VERY uncomfortable - arching his back, and his legs swelled up and he developed petechiae in various spots. Dogs and Cats called her at 1:30 this morning to report this. They gave him some benedryl, stopped the amicar, and will be giving him one dose of steroid, and I think there was something else. They monitored his coagulation levels, and they were fine (looking for DIC) earlier today, but a little later, the values started getting out of the normal range, just a little bit, but since they've been normal all along, she wanted to jump on it, and so he's getting four units of plasma right now. Also, his urine had a pink tinge to it.

He does look better in terms of swelling - his back legs look better from what she says, though his front legs are still swollen. They have them wrapped up because he cut himself with one of his nails - between the thin skin and the swelling, he cuts himself open fairly easily.

He has been eating, though he would not eat with me. He was pretty well out of it with the benedryl and the pain medication, though he did paw at me a few times I stopped petting him, so I know he's in there somewhere.

All this information has been sent to OSU and she is in communication with Dr. Marin, one of the vets with the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program.

So right now, we're just kind of waiting for the Amicar to flush out of his system, and hope the plasma helps with his coagulation. We're supposed to get a phone call from the surgeon this evening, and of course we'll be in touch with them tomorrow.

Gotta run now - DH's car has died again after just spending much money "fixing" the problem - I'm picking him up from the dealership.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).