Liver/spleen Cancer

Guest greymom1997

Guest greymom1997

Hi,

My Phillie who is six years old started drinking more water and peeing more often. More like draining the bowl dry and then peeing for 2-3 minutes at a time. Then his appetite began to slow down. This was about 2 weeks ago. Then about 1 week ago I noticed that his belly was getting big. He eats every morning and every night but only about half and over the next few days he began to act differently... not his usual self. Then yesterday morning he didn't want to go for his morning walk. That was when I knew that something had to be very wrong.

The vet aspirated blood from both sides of his abdomen. He then told me that it was most likely from the liver or spleen. If its the liver then it doesn't look good for Phillie. If it's the spleen we're talking about a $1200 surgery. The outcome being he may not live through it and the cancer may just return immediately anyway. It may have already spread now! He also siad he could bleed out any time... I'm scared to death!

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be anything else? What would be the best course of action to take to rule in or out liver/spleen cancer? X-ray? Cytology?

Donna

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very sorry. :cry1 Probably an ultrasound. What is your vet recommending? Sending lots of prayers and light to your boy. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest LittleGreys

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug I'm so sorry your boy is sick. I would think xrays would certainly be warranted, and/or abdominal ultrasound. Was bloodwork done? How was his PCV?

I don't have much to offer other than hugs and lots of prayers, and I WILL certainly be praying for both of you!!!

Guest greymom1997
I'm very sorry. :cry1 Probably an ultrasound. What is your vet recommending? Sending lots of prayers and light to your boy. :hope:candle

So far the vet recommended either X-ray or cytology. We didn't do either yesterday because the vet was so sure of his diagnosis and I was shell-shocked. He is fairly familiar with greyhounds. He has quite a few in the practice, but I simply walked out and collapsed in the car. I really want to know what would be the best test to do for the most definitive answer. I hate to put him through going there again. He hates it so much. He didn't sleep at all last night. He is so uncomfortable from the big belly. It impedes his ability to get up and down.

Edited by greymom1997

Ultrasound WITH cytology. You want the ultrasound so you can see what's in there. While the vet is ultrasounding, he/she can get a needle aspirate and send it off to cytology (analysis) if warranted.

You usually don't know what it is without the analysis (altho there are exceptions to this). At your pup's young age, could as easily be a diseased spleen that is NOT cancerous and could be removed. There is no way to tell from looking at the dog from the outside.

Can you get him in to ultrasound today? If his belly is full of blood he needs to be in surgery ASAP.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending good thoughts :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Ultrasound WITH cytology. You want the ultrasound so you can see what's in there. While the vet is ultrasounding, he/she can get a needle aspirate and send it off to cytology (analysis) if warranted.

You usually don't know what it is without the analysis (altho there are exceptions to this). At your pup's young age, could as easily be a diseased spleen that is NOT cancerous and could be removed. There is no way to tell from looking at the dog from the outside.

Can you get him in to ultrasound today? If his belly is full of blood he needs to be in surgery ASAP.

Sending prayers.

Ditto... ASAP! I am so sorry. :( Sendings prayers for your boy.

Hi,

My Phillie who is six years old started drinking more water and peeing more often. More like draining the bowl dry and then peeing for 2-3 minutes at a time. Then his appetite began to slow down. This was about 2 weeks ago. Then about 1 week ago I noticed that his belly was getting big. He eats every morning and every night but only about half and over the next few days he began to act differently... not his usual self. Then yesterday morning he didn't want to go for his morning walk. That was when I knew that something had to be very wrong.

The vet aspirated blood from both sides of his abdomen. He then told me that it was most likely from the liver or spleen. If its the liver then it doesn't look good for Phillie. If it's the spleen we're talking about a $1200 surgery. The outcome being he may not live through it and the cancer may just return immediately anyway. It may have already spread now! He also siad he could bleed out any time... I'm scared to death!

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be anything else? What would be the best course of action to take to rule in or out liver/spleen cancer? X-ray? Cytology?

Donna

I just posted about my Freddie.

His started the same way, lack of appetite and weight loss.

X-rays showed a mass so we were referred to a surgeon. The ultrasound this morning shows his spleen is completely gone and most of his liver is as well.

Yesterday the vet said if the liver wasn't too bad he could remove part of it and then consider radiology or chemo. Freddie's lungs were clear which was a good sign. Unfortunately, the other stuff wasn't good.

I would suggest a second opinion. Freddie is nearly 15. Your baby is 6. I'm not saying your vet is not right, I'm just saying it sounds too gloom and doomy to me without at least an x-ray/ultrasound.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Hi,

Donna

BTW, $1200 isn't too bad. Our estimate was $1800-2500.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

We lost a pup the same way. Had no idea he was sick until he started bleeding in his belly. We chose to send him to the bridge. The vet told us that even with surgery he might only live 2 more months and we weren't going to put him through all that pain for two extra months. It was the hardest decision we've ever had to make but if another one of mine comes down with the same thing we'll probably make the same decision.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I went thru this last year with my Bridge Angel, Wanda. She was 11 1/2. I highly recommend an ultra-sound before anything else, and the aspirated fluid should have been sent out to a lab to determine what's in the fluid. When Wanda started bleeding there were nucleated cells in the aspirated fluid, and that pretty much told the dr. that the tumor had ruptured.

When Wanda had her first aspirant there were no nucleated cells, and an ultra-sound of her liver showed 2 nodules and a healthy spleen...I wasn't given the option of surgery or I would have gone for it. Nobody told me I could have saved her life by having the surgery done. Anyway, she survived for 10 more months until the cancer spread to her spleen and the tumor ruptured.

If you can afford it, I would get an ultra-sound and then surgery. Your guy is young and has a good chance of survival.

Sending prayers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11