Monty Covered In Black Spots

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

I have no picture now as DH gave me THE LOOK when I asked him to take one for me...

Monty is a black and white cow dog with A LOT of white. Until a few days ago he had some black ticking which was clearly visible under his white coat, especially where his coat is thin due to his multiple medical problems.

Tonight DH and I, independently, noticed that Monty is COVERED with black spots on his skin under his coat. I mean COVERED. They are not uniform, some are round, some are blotchy, they are on all 4 legs, his tummy, his back, his neck. He has at least three times as many spots as he ever had, and this must have occured within the last day.

I look at his coat A LOT, he gets different baths and sprays, and I would have noticed if this had gradually occured over time.

Monty has the following medical problems: severe allergies, antibiotic resistant staph, iatrogenic Cushings, possible Pannus, possible low thyroid.

He is on: a new antibiotic (Primor), Reglan, allergy shots, topical cream and spray for itching (non steroidal), Benadryl, salmon oil, vitamin E, and thyroid meds.

Should I be worried? Call the vet? Cry? Decide DH and I are seeing spots?

Sounds like a suntan to me :) Turbo's spots have darkened over time, and those on his skin get really dark when he's been out in the sun. Since Monty has had so many skin conditions, his coat has likely thinned and he tanned a little better.

ETA: just re-read your post and you think these just popped up today? I'm still inclined to think normal pigmentation...did he lie outside a lot today?

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I have a red and white dog and I notice at times it seems his "freckles" are really showing. He is covered in red speckles. Are any of the areas raised? Do they seem to itch or hurt? Hopefully it is just time for a speckle showing. Fingers crossed it is nothing.

Probably normal. If they're not painful, red, NOT bruisey-looking -- just keep an eye on them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Our Angel Sophia had the same spots and they would just appear over night during the summer. :) She was a cow baby girl.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I have to say I have no idea what the spots could be - but I guess you can be glad they aren't itchy or annoying Monty.

Hang in there - call the derm/vet tomorrow and ask him. Quite honestly, with Monty, it could be anything. My guess is he is just having some sort of reaction to his meds or shampoos, or whatever. The obvious question would be, have you done anything different? But I know you have already asked yourself that. I doubt if it is anything life threatening, so relax and contact the derm/vet tomorrow to find out what it is.

Give Monty some ear scritches from Bodie and me. One thing that is consistent with Monty and Bodie - if it's unusual and it's out there - they'll get it!

No clue either. I'd take pics to document. That way you will know if they increase or decrease in size, colour or amount. I would call the skin Dr. and ask their opinion too. With Monty's issues it could just be a nothing, but it also could be something that you need to treat, or a med you need to stop.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

My guess is it's just ticking. My Spy is all white with a few little spots of brindle, and this time of year, his ticking gets worse OVERNIGHT! In the winter, it all fades away. :unsure

These sound like normal skin pigmentation - which you see on ticked or spotted white dogs - and which is characteristically dark splotches, round patches, irregular patches all over the body but only visible in low hair areas. It gets darker with exposure to sunlight, and of course, is much more noticeable when the dog sheds a lot and the coat gets thinner.

Also, one of the symptoms of Cushing's is hyperpigmentation - and others are hair loss and slow regrowth. One symptom of hypothyroid is also hyperpigmentation.

Put all those together and it's not surprising that you can see many more spots on Monty. They can seem to appear overnight, but it's probably a combination of darkening over time plus maybe a sudden increase of shedding.

Since he does have Cushing's, and possibly underactive thyroid, I'd mention to the vet that this has happened and see if he wants to do bloods to check on the progress of those. But don't fret. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest lat41065

I have 2 white with black ticking littermate boys. Movin had quite a few spots in the beginning but now is so full of them he looks like a dalmation. Octane had nearly none almost solid snow white now he has a bunch too. the boys turned 6 in august and have no medical problems. Sounds like plain ole spots.

Guest greytmonty
Do the spots look like this? If so, it's similar to our "freckles" and you have no need to worry. :-)

910bully.jpg

910bandit4.jpg

910bandit3.jpg

It does look like ticking. My concern is that they tripled in number in about one day. That is so weird, I don't know how to understand that!

Guest Tenderhearts

You know, Skittle was a spotty dotty when she was little, including spots all over her belly. Her spots would change from black to brown to black to brown, several times over the years, and literally overnight.

They also would disappear/reappear elsewhere overnight too :dunno

I noticed the same things on Neyla's belly/legs one day. She's a black female, with a pretty hairless tummy. I thought I was crazy b/c I really thought they had popped up overnight, and just assumed I hadn't been paying attention (which didn't make sense b/c she gets a belly rub before bed every night, spoiled girl!). Anyway, this was earlier this summer, I just attributed it to her getting older. They're still there. So maybe it's not so impossible that they do pop up quickly and it's not an indication of any sort of problem.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Do the spots look like this? If so, it's similar to our "freckles" and you have no need to worry. :-)

910bandit3.jpg

And who is this guy or gal??? That is such a funny picture! Come and get it fellas...I can just hear her saying!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sounds like ticking.

Uber has been getting very brindle ticked as of late.. even his thick white fur is gone spotty.

Icarus would get a handful of "Freckles" on his chest where he was white. They wouldn't be there one day but would crop up the next.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest ishapespace

I would also say its probably ticking. Berry White's spot count varys by the season....

Here's late fall last year in NC

n23410393_32776402_1507.jpg

And this spring back in LA

DSCN4633.jpg

Edited by ishapespace

I hope Monthy's spots are just ticking. Of the white ticked dogs that I know, they get spottier every year.

Hijack: Berry White is berry cute! :wub:

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greytmonty

My derm vet is not concerned. He has not seen the new spots but since they look like his old ticking he assumes it is pigment changes (benign) associated with all of Monty's other skin and hair mishegos. Since he has chronic staph and thin hair from Cushings, he could develop more spots just from the trauma of the infection. Hopefully his new antibiotic will work!

910bandit3.jpg

And who is this guy or gal??? That is such a funny picture! Come and get it fellas...I can just hear her saying!

Those are all girls, and the "flasher" is PAK Bandita, one of our new racers. She's full of puppy attitude which is to be expected since she is only about 17 months old. Katie and Margie are not concerned with her playfulness, but Raven (flowered collar) is about the same age and is always interested in playing with her.