Tj - 5 Mth Old Puppy With Broken Patella

Guest wmlcml6

I thought I would start a new thread with pics of TJ now that he's home recovering from surgery and his broken patella.

So far, it's been very interesting to see how this is being repaired.

He's doing very well, and has learned to take tiny hop steps to get where he's going on three legs. His appetite is very good, which is always a plus following surgery.

I have to say, this was not what I expected to see when I came home.

Whatcha lookin' at, Mama C?

100_6239.sized.jpg

Your purple knee, little man.

100_6238.sized.jpg

100_6241.sized.jpg

He's such a good boy. :-)

100_6242.sized.jpg

100_6243.sized.jpg

100_6244.sized.jpg

100_6246.sized.jpg

100_6247.sized.jpg

100_6248.sized.jpg

100_6249.sized.jpg

TJ went back to the vet yesterday (Friday morning) for a follow up visit and a rewrap.

They took out the connector bars that immobilize his knee and took him for several walks to get him an opportunity to move it to avoid stiffness setting in too much. Then before Bill picked him up, they reconnected the bars and wrapped it up all nice and tight.

We went to bed last night and he was doing fine. However, I woke up this morning to find gauze and vet wrap all over.

So I went to the store to get new supplies so I could rewrap this monstrosity.

Of course, before I rewrapped I took pics to show you how it looks without the wrap. Pretty Frankenstein, huh?

tj100_6250.sized.jpg

tj100_6251.sized.jpg

tj100_6253.sized.jpg

tj100_6254.sized.jpg

My attempt at re-wrap. And then another re-wrap when he ripped it off again within 10 minutes.

tj100_6256.sized.jpg

Now he's sleeping and being a good boy again. :-)

Edited by wmlcml6

Be a good boy TJ and keep your wrap on, you don't want to have to wear one of those funny e-collars. He's a very handsome guy!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Hey TJ, leave that bandage alone or I will tell mom where she can get a puppy hound muzzle at! I know a place that makes them just your size!!!!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

What a sweetie. How long does the vet think he will have to have the apparatus? I hope it heals quickly. It's hard to keep a puppy quiet.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

OMG........what a beautiful boy. I'm in love.

Actually, it doesn't look that bad to me. I'm a old Ortho nurse. I used to work with external fixators all the time........the human type though! :lol

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Because TJ is so young, with rapidly growing bones, the vet said 2-3 weeks barring complications and he can take the metal hardware out. If he were an adult dog, it would take 6-8 weeks.

Right now the vet is cautiously optimistic that he can have a career in racing. But he said he won't know for sure how he feels about it until 3-4 months post-surgery. They need so much to be perfect to have a strong career, that to start him off with a less than perfect knee would be against his better judgment. We will follow his advice, whatever it is. TJ already has a home with Joanne and Denis Tyler (Greyt Inspirations) and they will bring him home not matter what age he is ready. :-)

TJ you need to listen to mama and leave those bandages alone. :wub:

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest ThunderPaws
TJ already has a home with Joanne and Denis Tyler (Greyt Inspirations) and they will bring him home not matter what age he is ready. :-)

Great news, Joanne and Denis Tyler are wonderful people!! :yay Diesel looks so cute in his tiger collar from Greyt Inspirations. :colgate

Wow, I don't know how you manage to keep a 5 month old greyhound puppy quiet for more than a minute! :huh:lol

Get well, little TJ!!

Hey TJ! :wub: Aunty Janet is glad to see that you left the contraption alone when you took off your bandages. Hot were you?

It's an amazing piece of work. Just think a few years ago and it would have been a hip to toe cast. He would never have had a chance to race then after being immobilized for so long. This way he has a chance and should have no issues with his knee later in life. Great vet you have there Cathie.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Oh Sweetie...leave your dressing alone and heal swiftly. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I got some nice rolled cotton and vet wrap from the kennel this morning. I think I actually did a pretty good job re-wrapping this time, and since he hasn't even licked it all day, I'm thinking that the thick cotton is keeping the metal from hurting him and therefore he's leaving it alone. Maybe the vet will give my handy work a two thumbs up when I take TJ back in tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the support. TJ and I appreciate it.

For more updates, I've started a "blog" on the Follow That Hound! website. I've been so busy with TJ that I think it will be easier to update the blog, and give you the link. It also give me a running diary for him, and other FTH events.

TJ could really use some healing thoughts. He's been very uncomfortable since his appointment on Monday, and I hope they either take out the hardware tomorrow, or rebandage him. Thanks for your support.

FTH News

Poor TJ. :( Is he getting enough pain meds? My knees hurt just looking at him.

What a good little nurse Hope is. :wub: Get well TJ!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Baloos_Mom

Awww, poor baby! He is a cutie. It is crazy what they can do. We had a GSP that was hit by a car with crazy stuff like that sticking out of her leg. Makes me hurt to look at it too. :grouphug