21 Teeth Removed

I adopted Kerri two months ago. Before she came to me, she had 21 teeth removed. I soften her kibble and add a little can food or chicken/beef and rice. She has no problems eating. What I wanted to know, is what kind of treats does everyone feed their pups who have had some teeth removed? I have been giving her Gooberlicious, Wellness Wellbites and BillJack soft treats. I am looking for more of a variety.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest Winterwish

A can of sardines would be a nice,healthy and very soft 'treat'.

And congratulations! :confetti:confetti Kerri sounds like she's got a great home! :pinkele:)

I call Kara my toothless wonder puppy. When I had her as a foster she lost 29 teeth. Six months later, she lost another six (I think they have 40, so she's down to five, three of which are canines). I add water to her kibble, but, believe it or not, she has no trouble with crunchy treats. I give my girls Mother Hubbard's. They're small, which makes it easier for Kara. She's also been known to completely consume a Greenie.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Jack has his front teeth (canines plus the tiny incisors) but apart from that he has the grand total of ONE tooth on one side of his mouth and a little clump of four on the other. He eats dried tripe sticks, the rubbery type of edible dental chew (like Pedigree dental chews) and he'll even tackle a pig ear if I make a few cuts into it. He'd probably like it if I softened it first in some hot water, but so far I haven't done that.

He LOVES puffed jerky, which is dried slices of lung, and he'll eat the smaller biscuits too. He will also tackle the 'chewed up and glued back together' kind of rawhide treats with no apparent difficulty.

I don't like to feed him solely on soft stuff because if I do, he wont' keep his few remaining teeth for long. Also he enjoys chewing. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Winterwish

Also,Merrick's Beef Taffy. It's not soft,but is not as hard as a rawhide,so it might be enjoyable for her to gnaw on.

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

I'd let her try the hard treats and see how she does with them. My Striper and Luna only had their canines and a few teeth in between, and they could still eat whole raw chicken leg/thigh quarters. They ate the same treats that the rest of the dogs did, it just took them a little longer.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

I had almost all of Greta's teeth removed when she came to live with me.... I softened her kibble... But after 2 weeks of having her teeth removed she was ready to tackle a milkbone! In the month and half I had her after the teeth were removed she ate like a champ.... :sad1

Guest Winterwish
I had almost all of Greta's teeth removed when she came to live with me.... I softened her kibble... But after 2 weeks of having her teeth removed she was ready to tackle a milkbone! In the month and half I had her after the teeth were removed she ate like a champ.... :sad1

:grouphug

Thanks for all the greyt replys and suggestions. I'm glad to hear your puppers can enjoy some harder/hard treats. I will try them with Kerri. I don't want to always be feeding her soft treats, I want to try to keep her remaining teeth healthy and in her mouth :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest Snowy8

I think Gabby has a total of 6 teefies left in her head...nothing stops that girl from eating. I fix her food first, put hot water on it...for some reason the hot water makes it break down faster...of course its not HOT when she's eating it...she eats in gulps, spits a lot of it out & starts over again...she does this with soft or hard food. Treats...she takes the treats like a trooper, sometimes she carries them around in her jar for a few moments & then licks it, then it seems to be soft enough for her to eat.

Guest lizmego

My girl, Effee, only has 5 teeth left in her mouth, so we only feed soft treats too or her gums are torn up. We feed the following:

1. Fig Newtons, broken into small pieces;

2. Solid Gold Beef Jerky or Turkey Jerky, again split in half;

3. Fosters & Smith Yogurt Drops (these are great and come in large tub and are not too expensive)

4. Nutro canned dessert line. I split one can amonst three greyhounds, just scoop it out with my fingers and they just lick it off.

5. Nilla Bites with peanut butter smeared on it to make a sandwich cookie, or just feed one side of the cookie with PB smeared on it.

Guest phoebesydney

I stuff kongs with peanut butter, banana and yogurt and freeze them My girls love it. When I first adopted them they had quite a bit of dental work done and needed softer foods while healing. Long after they were healed the stuffed kongs remain an absolute favorite treat and keeps them busy for an hour or more.

Orion can still tackle a milkbone with almost no back teeth left in his jaws (he has two bottom molars; no top ones). In fact, two days after having 14 teeth removed he chewed and ate a milkbone. He can even "chew" a rawhide though it's rather more that he sucks on it until pieces break off. :lol

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

My gummy guys in the past have never turned down much of anything unless it was really hard.

You can also order some burp dog biscuits they are sorta soft and crumbly but not mushy. Oh well and everydog I've ever met loves them!

Orion can still tackle a milkbone with almost no back teeth left in his jaws (he has two bottom molars; no top ones). In fact, two days after having 14 teeth removed he chewed and ate a milkbone. He can even "chew" a rawhide though it's rather more that he sucks on it until pieces break off. :lol

Sounds like Kara and a CET chew...

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest greytmonty

Trudy makes a great soft treat that Monty sent Macoduck's Oliver for secret bunny this year. I think they were easy on his mouth.

Guest greyhound_bug

Simon has also had 21 teeth removed. He has only a few top teeth and only 1 or 2 "chomper" teeth on the bottom and his k9s. We put his food in the blender and add some water to it to make it like a paste because when he eats dry food, he just sollows the biscuits whole....but some how, he has no problems with milkbones <_< . I think he has DH and I trained well.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Cougar has loved applesauce the few times he has gotten my son's leftovers, but he has only had it a time or two so I would make sure there are no problems with it before I started giving on a regular basis.

Tara

Burpdogs! And graham crackers and vanilla wafers and bread (mmmmmm, bread!).

And those packaged cheese slices. But Burpdogs, graham crackers, vanilla wafers work better to keep in your pocket.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest crazy4greys

Skylar has mostly her front teeth left. The only treat she has a problem with are the dried chicken breast strips. So she doesn't get them anynore. Anything else, she eats, just takes a little longer. :)