Rawhide Chews Are A No-no?

Guest Nik

Guest simile

I give mine CET rawhides for their teeth. Not very many - only a couple times a week - and I pay attention to the pups while they have them. The biggest danger I've found with rawhide is the added aroma factor - I don't like being in a small space with the hounds after they've had one :sick

Guest greybookends

There are several things you can use. RMBs( Raw Meaty Bones)These use you can get from most meat markets, nylabones and other things. I'm sure others will chime in. The problem with rawhide is that when it is ingested it can swell and cause a blockage in the digestive track and it doesn't dissolve which means surgery is needed to remove it. Greenies also don't dissolve and can cause blockages. I am not sure of all of the safe chews as I feed a raw diet so mine get the RMBs all the time so I don't buy other chews. I am sure you will have a list here shortly. ;)

Really depends on the dog. My Zema can have rawhides (with supervision) as she gnaws on them for awhile and then looks for something else to do. All my other dogs have tended to eat the whole thing at once -- not good.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You can feed the pressed rawhide (made in America only), but I wouldn't give a lot. Never give rawhide with knots on the end. Flip chips imo are a no no. Years ago I fed them and my friend's Dobe almost had to have surgery from one. Burp loved rawhides and would get the trots every time. I just don't bother any more. Don't want them sick and I don't want the vet bills.

If you have one like Zema, supervised and can take it away, it's fine. All the ones I have now would chew and eat until it was gone.

Rawhides can cause impaction and obstruction.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest K9_Lady

Make sure they are RawHide from the USA. The others have been found to be treated with chemicals that come from over seas.

I do not give my Malinois Rawhides because when I first got Arco he tried to swallow a piece of the stick type and thank God I was at home with him and I had to pull it out of his throat. He was choking on it :eek I am happy that he is his satisfied chewing on his KONG toys now...

Guest HersheysMom

We recently discovered Sam's Yams. They are just dried sweet potato slices and chew somewhat like a rawhide, and no choking issues....they seem pretty safe and are well liked and good for them. You can buy them different places online but I haven't seen them in places like Petco so far.

Edited by HersheysMom

Guest meandmygreys

I usually buy the big beef knuckles from the grocery store, the ones for soup. I quit rawhide when I figured out most of it is from China or Mexico..Who knows whats processed in that !!..Jimmy Hoffa..........other missing aliens..... :blink:

Guest wilkinssquirrel

No nylabones here <_< Mine prefer some big ole pigs ears. You can also feed raw turkey necks to keep their teeth clean, only about 1 every wk or 2 tho.

What about bully sticks, are they okay?

My vet says Bully Sticks are o.k. They take a long time to chew and help keep the teeth clean.

Beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest KennelMom

We do raw bones here, or on the rare occasion, pressed rawhide (it breaks into little tiny bits when they crunch it). Big solid hunks of rawhide do little for their teeth (b/c the rawhide gets soft as they chew it) and can't be broken down by their gut juices (technical term :P ). There's just no benefit to them, only risk - so they are "out" for our pups. Some of our dogs also love frozen or semi-frozen eggs on a hot summer day - shell and all. But I'd only recommend those if your dog isn't a "gulper." Our boy Rocky once swallowed a whole chicken drumstick so he's never even gotten the chance to eat a frozen egg! They also like pigs ears, which are another occasional treat.

bully sticks should be OK - they are just dried bull penises (:puke) but, as mentioned earlier, I would only give treats manufactured in the US. Other countries use some nasty chemicals, like cyanide, in the preserving process, which are prohibited in this country.

None of mine a gulpers so we do US made retriever rolls or pressed rawhide. I can't find pig ear strips like I used to that are small, so I buy the whole ones and my neighbor cuts them into strips on his band saw. Whole ears are too much fat for me.

Mine like the new greenies (more digestable) fine, but they are so expensive they don't get them often. No Nylabones here -- pieces can break off.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Redpack

The only thing I can think of before my Em had intestinal hemorraging was his chewing a rayhide. It was made in America..but he got a piece of and hurried and swallowed when he saw me comiing for it! Pig Ears gave him the Big D bit time...I plan to try the raw meaty bones once I work out where they will chew them and not contaminate anything.....

None of mine a gulpers so we do US made retriever rolls or pressed rawhide. I can't find pig ear strips like I used to that are small, so I buy the whole ones and my neighbor cuts them into strips on his band saw. Whole ears are too much fat for me.

Mine like the new greenies (more digestable) fine, but they are so expensive they don't get them often. No Nylabones here -- pieces can break off.

Turbo's a gulper, so he gets the big retriever rolls on the rare occasion that I buy rawhide, and he only gets it undersupervision (I've twice had to pull rawhide chips out of his throat). I buy the big (12"?) American made rolls at Target. Turbo also goes nuts for Greenies, but they're too expensive to buy often. He gets them on his birthday or other special occasions :)

Pig Ears gave him the Big D bit time...

Pig ears are pretty greasy and I know of dogs who have had an attack of pancreatitis from them. I like Pam's idea of cutting them into strips, though. That way, they don't get too much all at once. I never buy them because I can't look at the tattoos on them and not think of greyhound ears :lol

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest JJStingersMom

Stinger loves rawhide bones but he is no longer able to eat them do to his recent ilness. So I like give him. COOKED Beef Marrow Bones with no seasoning. Just boiled. That keeps him busy and helps keep his teeth clean.

I heard they came out with new Greenies they are to be much more saver than the old ones. We have not tried them out yet. After the warning about them.

Stinger loves rawhide bones but he is no longer able to eat them do to his recent ilness. So I like give him. COOKED Beef Marrow Bones with no seasoning. Just boiled. That keeps him busy and helps keep his teeth clean.

I heard they came out with new Greenies they are to be much more saver than the old ones. We have not tried them out yet. After the warning about them.

The new greenies are wonderful.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

No nylabones here <_< Mine prefer some big ole pigs ears. You can also feed raw turkey necks to keep their teeth clean, only about 1 every wk or 2 tho.

My three get a turkey neck every day.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia loves rawhides. However I do not believe they are digestable. I think a lot has to do with how the dog eats them too as to how much of a hazard they can be. If your dogs wolfs down whole pieces,,then its a no no for sure. Leia turns them into pulp and then will swallow small 1/4 in square sized pieces as she pulverizes them. A few hours later you can see the pieces in her poo,,so they go in and come out,,but they don't digest. So she will get a couple a week,,but always supervised (I know how to do the doggy heimlich, thank God I never have had to). She also eats bullysticks. She USED to swallow the last inch or so and sure enough 1 out of 2 times she would throw it back up. Somehow we managed to train her to stop when there is an inch or so left. She will stop and drop it.

Edited by FordRacingRon

So I like give him. COOKED Beef Marrow Bones with no seasoning. Just boiled.

Please don't feed cooked bones of any kind. They can splinter and marrow bones are so hard that they can cause tooth cracks. Raw meaty bones (that are consumable) are much safer.

I was told by 2 vets (one of them has greys) and my local GH group that all rawhide, bullystix and greenies are a no no.

I posted this on another thread. The vet said when I asked him about it... by telling me this, he limits the amount of surgerys for obstruction he does. But the bottom line is that all these things could cause obstruction and he advises against it.

We give ours the rice based bones or raw bones from the butcher, always supervised.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project