Any Over 50 Greyhound Owners Out There?

Guest Greylove2

Guest phoebesydney

I am the mom of two of the most beautiful girls, a fawn and a domino. Both were adopted 14 months ago. I find most of the groups in and around me are mostly the under 30 age...love to be around them and absolutely adore the dogs. But...would sure like to communicate with other greyhound owners in my age group that speak a language closer to what I understand! I take my girls for walks; not hikes, we like our quiet time and they prefer the same music I do. I live out in the country and would like to find some other grey owners to get my girls together with for play groups. They are more than willing to go leash walking but take them in the yard to play and they stand there like its a punishment. If I bring another dog in, they are both more than happy to run and play. Unfortunately I have friends with very little dogs...like yorkies. The last "doggie friend" the girls had over was a yorkie and they ran the little legs off that guy Had fun and the yorkie was a willing participant but I was told the yorkie slept for 2 days after!. Somewhere near, Winchester, Strasburg, Warrenton, Manassa, Front Royal, etc. Any out there? best way to reach me is my yahoo account eldejame

Interesting, as I have found that most of the owners are more in your age group. The dog is perfect for empty nesters, those not looking for a pup, a more sedate, little older dog, and just the right dog for a quieter home.

Now that I have said that; both of my children have greyhounds in their homes with little kiddies, but in general the adopters we have seen are a little older. For a time, several groups would not adopt to families with young children and that has changed significantly over the past few years.

That being said, I am in your age bracket. Unfortunately, I don't live near you. You are going to have to make up your mind to attend some larger greyhound events in the future. Bring your dogs, socialize, and just have fun. Or, entice some of your friends to adopt a greyhound.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest david_42

Odd, I'd say 80% of the owners around here are 50+ At 55, I go to an activity & I'm one of the youngest people there.

Guest bowiebears

I'm 53 and my partner is 51.

We have 2 hounds and used to be regulars at events in our area, but they seem to have dried up in the wilds of Bowie, MD!

--Isaac

Guest Snowy8

Well I'm physically 55, but mentally I'm not sure & since I have 2 new knees, physically I may back up a few years. But I'm too far off too for a play date.

I would say the grey owners here are about 50/50. But the group is so diverse, we all hang out together & now that I think of it, us older pups have more fun! We have a couple of 20 year olds that like to hang out with us....we have better parties too.

Guest cathyem

I'm 57 and if Leesburg isn't too long of a hike maybe you can join my group in some events. We do meet & greets at a lot of the wineries in Purcellville. Check out the calendar on our site www.brga.org

Guest IrskasMom

We have a lot of Folks in the over 50 Age Group and over 6o on GT. The Problem is I live in Maryland and everybody lives in a different Neck of the Woods. I have the same Problem but My Boy is not deprived on seeing Dog's big and small and we go to the Park twice

a Day. So he is not missing anything . :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

All of our officers and board members are over 50! In fact, I am now collecting Social Security (aaaaacccchhhh!). We are located in the western Maryland area and you are welcome to join us at any of our activities. Just check out our web site. If we are too far away, the folks at Blue Ridge Greyhound Adoption (see above) are Greyt and I'm sure would welcome you too!!!

Guest crazy4greys

I'm not, but :welcome2 to GT.

In our adoption group, we range from mid 20's to over 50. It is a mix of ages at our events and everyone gets along great! I am sure you will find someone in your age range. Just keep attending more of your group's events and go to other events where there are greys.

Guest greytexplorer

I live in Birmingham AL and turned 50 this year.

Right now we are enjoying a thunderstorm (RAIN!! :yay ) and I have a vibrating chihuahua on my lap as I type, a b&w gyrl vibrating on the sofa, and a fawn gyrl roaching on the other sofa.......

I do wish I lived closer to you. Play dates are greyt! :nod

Guest Snowy8
I live in Birmingham AL and turned 50 this year.

Right now we are enjoying a thunderstorm (RAIN!! :yay ) and I have a vibrating chihuahua on my lap as I type, a b&w gyrl vibrating on the sofa, and a fawn gyrl roaching on the other sofa.......

I do wish I lived closer to you. Play dates are greyt! :nod

I'm so glad ya'll finally got rain!!! Vibrating cheewahwah...cute!!! he he he

In that over 55 age group here but we are in the Sacramento area. The groups here, I think, tend towards the over at least 40 or so but the older I get, the harder it is for me tell how old someone else is! George, Misty Blue and I meet lots of different dogs including other Greys at the dog park and we have started lure course racing with all breeds of sight hounds.

If you ever visit Wisconsin, I would love to go for a walk with you. Hiking is definitely out of the question....

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest mountain4greys

Hi, I'll be 52 next month. My wife and I live pretty close to you. We're here in Harpers Ferry with our 5 greyhounds. Post 15 is the group we work with.

Welcome aboard!!! :welcome2

Guest greytful4

I'm in my 50's and I live in Bristow,Virginia. I know exactly where Front Royal is...my boy-friend lives in Middletown...get in touch with me sometime!