Beet Pulp Supliments

Guest jennyheater

Guest jennyheater

Hi everyone...

I'm doing research on using Beet pulp as a suppliment to my hounds diet.

From what I'm reading, its mainly used with horses.... but shows up in dog and cat food. It was mentioned to me, by another dog owner <non greyhound>. Her german shephard had bad health problems with his colon.. she stated to me that the pulp coats the colon and intestinal lining to allow the food to have some benefit to the animal. My greyhound, Gate, has IBS <irritable bowel syndrome>, poor puppy has lost another 10lbs over the last year. He can't afford to lose anymore.

He has a lot of trouble with different food companies. He was finally doing ok on the Natural Balance Venison and brown rice.. but then it got recalled. He is eating the equivalent with Nature's Rescue/Remedy.. <i can never remember> .

I'd love to hear from others on this... I'm still looking for a company that sells it as a suppliment in smaller sizes than equine requirements.

thanks so much B)

I bought a 50-pound sack of the stuff; anyone who wants some for the cost of shipping ($10 for 50 pounds = almost free on a per-pound basis!), drop me a PM. I need to get rid of the extra.

We don't feed it here, but I've doled out some to friends. One hasn't related any success or failure, and the other reported it had no impact to date.

But- if you want some, a flat-rate boxfull of the stuff should do you for weeks!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greyladydown

I'm a huge fan of beet pulp shreds. I feed it to all my dogs - personal and fosters and it does make a world of difference in their stools.

Beet pulp seems to have helped Miss Soft Serve (Edie). Some of the benefit was immediate, but there's also been a gradual improvement that I can't attribute to anything else.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Beet pulp can certainly firm up things but it tends to be more of a bandaid than a cure. My own experience is that most greyhounds do better with more real meat protein than fiber. If you are looking for something to coat the GI tract, slippery elm is quite good.

Kim, (PW's) Nate Dogg and Chloe (TJ Zorabell) - always in our hearts, (Racey) Benson and Polly (Racey Pauline)

allpups.jpg

NaturallyGrey Email List

Sugar beet pulp doesn't coat the inside of the intestines....it helps to improve the firmness of the dogs stools firstly by slowing the progress of the food through the intestines, this allows water in the intestines to be reabsorbed by the body and not pass through in the stools (all fibre does this to some extent). Secondly, it can be partially digested in the intestines (it is classed as a "moderately digestible fibre") it is broken down into molecules that can be digested by the dogs' gut flora (the "friendly" bacteria that naturally inhabit the intestines) which in turn improves the dogs ability to digest its food and therefore firms the stools.

If your dog has loose stools then it is wise to find out first whether it is being caused by the food it is currently being fed...adding sugar beet pulp in this instance will just work as a "bandaid" it will not cure the underlying problem. It may be worth trying a different food, perhaps one that has a different source of meat protien or a gluten free type of food (your dog may have a sensitivity to a particular meat protien or to gluten).

I am all in favour of feeding sugar beet pulp, it is not a "useless" filler as some people think....but it is wise to find the cause of a dogs digestive woes rather than just covering them up.

btw. I changed my girls' food for one that is based on lamb and rice because she seems to have started to develop a gluten intolerance as she has got older (my vet told me that this is not uncommon) the food I now feed her also contains a high proportion of sugar beet pulp as I consider it to be an excellent ingredient. :)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I am all in favour of feeding sugar beet pulp, it is not a "useless" filler as some people think....but it is wise to find the cause of a dogs digestive woes rather than just covering them up.

I think it is more a question of apporpriate food source rather than useless. I certainly seems to help older horses keep weight on but...my dogs aren't horses.

Now I think its time to post the story of the squirrel and the beet pulp...

The Squirrel and the Beet Pulp

Kim, (PW's) Nate Dogg and Chloe (TJ Zorabell) - always in our hearts, (Racey) Benson and Polly (Racey Pauline)

allpups.jpg

NaturallyGrey Email List

I think it is more a question of apporpriate food source rather than useless. I certainly seems to help older horses keep weight on but...my dogs aren't horses.

I LOVE that story!!!! :lol :lol I've thought about picking up a bag of it at our feed store, but they only have the beet pulp w/ added molasses. And only in 50 lb bags! :eek I don't need THAT much beet pulp! :lol:P

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

All different kinds of ingredients are put into dog foods that we may not consider "appropriate".....at least sugar beet pulp actually does some good :rolleyes:

btw My Sadi loves raw carrots....and she's not a horse...although she farts like one sometimes:)

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Oh, I was so hoping this would surface in this post! I love this one...I sent it to a horse friend of mine. She called me up to thank me but was laughing so hard could only wheeze into the phone. Good job I had call display...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest jennyheater

First off.... The beet pulp and the squirrel story just about killed me! I cared for a 4wk old squirrel for all of about 2 days... most of which he lived down my shirt or up my sleeve. I'm tickled he wasn't mobile in my house... he went to live with some wonderful folks that do squirrel rescue.

I appreciate everyones input on this. I can see that the subject of beet pulp brings up many opinions and experiences.

I'm at a loss of what to do with Gate... at his size and stature.. the hound could/should be about 75lbs. He's a big guy.... problem is.. He's 55lbs. I'm not so concerned with firming his stools. His best poos are a puddley. That is normal for him. I'm hoping that with a suppliment of <something> whether it be beet pulp or anything else I can economically use.... he'll gain some weight. He's constantly hungry, yet everything makes him sick.

Human cooked food has the worst results in him... what comes out the back is explosive.

There are several dog food companies he simply can't eat without having similar results.

The only 2 companies at the moment that he fairs well with are Natural balance venison and brown rice.... they recalled that... so now he eats Nature's Recipe Venison and Rice.

He can have a treat here and there, but they must be limited or he'll get sick.

So, this is Gate....

Thank you so much for your insight and experience with this!!!

I've thought about picking up a bag of it at our feed store, but they only have the beet pulp w/ added molasses. And only in 50 lb bags! :eek I don't need THAT much beet pulp! :lol:P

See Aarons post above -- he'll send you some for the cost of postage!

Based on today's experience, I can fit over 12 pounds into a fixed-rate USPS Priority Mail shipper. Depending upon distance, it costs about $9 to send domestically.

Anyone who wants some- or just a pound or two- PM me. The stuff I have is pelletized- I don't know what the shredded stuff looks like, but this looks like pellet food provided as rodent chow. The bag didn't have any label, and although I trust the folks at this feed store, I had to eat some to make sure I wasn't going to poison anyone's pet.

BLAND! Ack.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest jennyheater

Hi everyone...

Well, Gate's carepackage came in with the pulp pellets inside.... I added some to his food this evening, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again to everyone!!!

Jenny