Help!

Guest patti909

Guest patti909

ok, back from the vet with Luke after his follow up from the dislocated tow with bone chip and torn ligaments.

So far so good, however; he is not allowed to run for at least one month.

Here's the problem: I have a huge fenced in yard and he won't pee or poop on leash.

any suggestions???

if i had a couple of ex pens I could section of part of th yard, but the surgery has put my way over budget this month.

OK, this is probably one of the rare times I recommend the flexi-lead. It's long enough that they feel comfortable doing their business when they're far enough away. It's not 100%, but it we have had a lot of success with many fosters who won't go on leash.

Had to train Arwen to go on the leash. It was hard because she was so resistant. I had to constantly take her out till she finally did it. Then really praised her. I started with taking her to the spots in the yard she usually went. I tried the flexi leash but she is so timid she would not get far enough away from me to extend it! What a goofball!

Guest sheila

when I had to keep the dogs off of one section of the yard I sectioned it off with plain old chicken wire. It's not the prettiest or longest lasting but for a temporary solution it would do the trick.

If not a Flexi-Lead, maybe a really long rope? :)

Sounds stupid, I know, but if instead of a 6-8' lead, you had him on 10-20' of lead, maybe he'd do his business? Don't leave much slack in it (so he won't bolt) and maybe he'll go.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest patti909

thanks, greyt ideas.

i am gonna see about trying the snow fencing tomorrow. he is being quiet today so maybe the toe is a little sore.

If they don't have snow fencing this time of year, or if they only have those huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge rolls of orange fence, you can do a temporary enclosure-within-a-fenced-yard using the green garden mesh and 6' bamboo stakes. Only use when pup is supervised, but works well enough for that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

The first Dewey I took Zeus to Dewey (never pooped on leash and borderline spook) took him 3 days to poop on lead, but he finally did it, in the middle of the street and he yelped when it came out. If you don't give him any choice but to poop on lead, he will eventually do that. Good luck, and :hope for fast healing to Luke.

Guest LynnM

Stick to leash walking. Please.

A dog can still get himself in plenty of trouble in a little fence.

My crew is all used to walking on a Flexi-line. We use it every day, so it's no big deal for them to be on it when injured. If you are persistent enough, he will do his business on leash. You just have to be persistent, get the timing right and be patient. You *can* set him up by really, really wetting his feed down. Just make sure you do it when you have time to wait him out. He'll give it up eventually.

Lynn

Hey Patti.

As you know Beau is leash only too becasue of his injury. I sympathize but we normally walk them 3-4x a day regardless of what's doing outside. Mine prefer to pee/popp on leash on walk.

Will he pee/poop on walks??? If so, there's your answer, if not, I agree with the flexi leash JUST in the yard for the pee/poops.

I have a better idea than the flexi leash. Go to a boat supply store and buy a tow line for a raft. There you can have the strength of the line with a handle that you can hold that will not slip or burn your hand. It's mimimal $$ and it should work.

Good luck.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Be careful with all of the above mentioned (flexi, long lead and snow fencing). As Luke feels better he may get the crazies....and with a greyhound puppy I know how little room they need to do those crazy flips that will put you back at Square 1 with the injury. Just last night we were at the beach and Fenway was on a 6 foot leather lead....he did three laps around me in a blink of an eye before I could reel him in. I would keep and injured dog on no longer than a 6 foot lead, they will eventually do their business while leashed. This is also why I always train my dogs to go on leash....you never know when you might be somewhere without a fence or need to do so for medical reasons.

I'm wishing Luke a fast and uneventful recovery, and many poops while leashed! :P

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest patti909

Thnak you all. I was offered soem ex pens to be able to section off a part of the yard, but i will lsiten to the wise folks here and keep hiim on a leash. An ijury could mean loss of the toe.

After about 10 hours of holding it, Luke did finally pee on leash last night. One down, now for the poop!! LOL

Thnak you all. I was offered soem ex pens to be able to section off a part of the yard, but i will lsiten to the wise folks here and keep hiim on a leash. An ijury could mean loss of the toe.

After about 10 hours of holding it, Luke did finally pee on leash last night. One down, now for the poop!! LOL

Yay for #1! Good boy Luke. I just realized when I re-read my post that I sounded a bit harsh (not intended that way)...all of those other suggestions were good ones and you know your dog best....it's just that I was amazed with the crazy amount of running Fenway was able to get away with (and partly because I let him) within seconds. Good luck with the recovery!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)