Chronic Liquid Poo

Guest Peanut

Guest Peanut

Really hoping we've just tried everything we can think of and you GT folks will have more ideas to try.... Here's the scoop.

Nash came to CfG on March 24. All was well... He was neutered the following Tuesday (3/27). No problems at all. Recovered will. Stool sample was done and we treated for parasites with Droncit Plus, just to make sure we didn't miss anything. At this point he was eating Diamond Lamb & Rice Adult Formula (not a recalled food). About 5 days after his neuter, foster mom noted that he had very soft and mushy poo. We thought maybe a bug and cut him back to hamburger and rice and imodium. Problem solved - as long as he stayed on that. As soon as we added the kibble back in, the liquid/soft poo was back. After about 3 attempts of getting him back on to the Diamond, I gave up and picked up Wellness Duck & Potato (allergy food), because we needed to get ahead and not keep getting behind with this "mess". That seemed to do the trick. Foster mom tried to switch back to the Diamond and at a 1/2 cup added in, the mush was back. About 10 days ago, Nash moved to a pre-adopt home. Biggest question was if he could be an only dog (which he does wonderful as!). Well, guess what is back full force - liquid, watery poop! Since at this home we've tried:

*Hamburger & Rice - no change

*Added poop guard (he is a poop eater) - no change

*Metronizondale - no change

*Digestive Enzyme - no change

*Wellness food - no change

I'm calling the vet tomorrow to get him in. He's not lathergic. Is playful and happy. Drinking fluids normal. Sleeps great. Loves his walks. All is well other than the "liquid poo". Which makes me think he isn't sick....

What am I missing???

Guest Winterwish

I sure hope Nash is feeling better soon, :gh_child:getwell

It's great you're looking out for him,and hugs to you and his new family.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest maryjo79

I put Spud on Flint River fish and potato and he did okay on it for a little while and then blow out diarrhea. I eventually switched Spud to a raw diet and it hasn't been an issue. It's not an option that most people choose, but it solved the problem almost instantly.

Try just giving him boiled hamburger with no rice- many pups can't tolerate rice. Also smaller meals through out the day instead of two large meals may help...

I hope he feels better soon!

Guest meandmygreys

Sometimes....the cure is worse than the problem....I know that the big D is'nt the best thing to have..and that some dogs are more prone to it than others..I had a GSD puppy with the squirts...she was returned to me because the people who bought her could not stop her from pooping 24/7...I gave her a big tablespoon of Peptobismal and put her out in the yard with the rest of the pups..she was never sick again. They had drug her to the vet...tried everything under the sun...I just let her be a dog.. Stress will bring on bowel trouble..Justy has a sensetive stomach...Goose has a stomach like a cast iron stove...they both get the same dog food (Diamond Maintenance) except Goose gets a few scraps and such and Justy does not..Nothing bothers Goose and every little thing will give Justy the runs..It's just his genetic make up is different..

Hope you figure out what is going on !!

Hugs to Nash and his family.

Try two rounds of Panacur. He just might need worming again -- nasty critters have a nasty life cycle -- and Panacur treats giardia better than metronidazol. Good luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My friend was telling me that whipworm doesn't always show up in a fecal panel and the Greyhounds for Dummies book says if she has a hound with constant runny poo, she automatically treats for whipworm and it usually solves the problem. You might mention this to the vet and bring a copy of the book if you have it. It is worth a mention at least, if you have tried everything else.

:grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest greyladydown

Once you get him dewormed, try adding 1/8 cup of beet pulp shreds (plain, not with molasses) to his food. You can buy beet pulp shreds at many feed stores. It works wonders for firming up stool.

Guest Hannah

:grouphug I would get a thyroid level done, I know shes a kitty but Fluffy was perfectly OK apart from runny poo. no other symptoms, everything was negative or normal.

She did start eating lots and lots a couple of days before we ran the blood but she had had runny poo for a long time. she was chronically hyperthyroid and as soon as that was under control the runny poo went back to normal.

Been threw this with sonny , its the food you are now feeding , switch to Diamond Senior Plus , but first feed him noodles and plain yogurt until it stops then add a half cup of feed and slowly increase until it is feed only with yogurt fat free , the new Diamond has no wheat , it has oatmeal. its new food so you may have to order it.

Guest Peanut
Like Batmom says- did a fecal panel get done anywhere along the line? Even if so, they may have missed it because of it being in an early stage.

Yep and he has been dewormed with Droncit Plus. Willing to redo, though...

Guest Peanut
I'd do 5 days of panacur and see how it goes. Also acidolphillus pills (not yogurt).

Try boiled meat--no rice. Can you get frozen BilJac where you are?

We can get BilJac - I feed all of mine raw, so... open to anything. I'll see if "new mom" is open to BilJac

Someone else suggested Iams. I'm hesitant to give Iams, horrible food reactions out of all of mine and an adopter has lost 2 greyhounds from cancer. iams has a law suit for adding some cancer causing agent to their food. Not sure I want to go down that road...

Guest BugsBunny

Hi, have you considered testing for a wheat allergy?

My friends dog has just been diagnosed and her main sympton was liquid poo, just a thought.

:getwell

Guest SillyDog
Like Batmom says- did a fecal panel get done anywhere along the line? Even if so, they may have missed it because of it being in an early stage.

Yep and he has been dewormed with Droncit Plus. Willing to redo, though...

Once might not be enough. Good luck -- I know how miserable this makes everyone. One of mine had this problem from a combo of something that was Giardia-like and food allergies. It took me a good 6+ months to get it sorted out.

The Merck Veterinary Manual advises that metronidazole (Flagyl) is about 65% effective for curing giardia. Panacur may be slightly better, I understand (if it IS giardia, of course).

Good luck!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Someone (Burpdog? feemandvm? both?) posted a reference a little while back re Panacur being a good bit more effective than metronidazole at curing giardia. News to me, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Peanut

The metronizandole was added for stress related diarrhea, not for giardia. Unsure if he has it but certainly something worth checking. I'm coordinating with the family now to get him to the vet that did his original vet work back in March.

Guest argolola

Sending prayers that this is cleared up soon and the precious pup has firmer poo.

We went through many different things the first year we had Lola. We ended up having to give her wormer once a month for a year. Now she has an iron stomach and can eat anything.

Guest bambiscuit

we are going through the EXACT same thing, and bambi has pretty much been fecaled to no avail... they are doing bloodwork to find out if it is anything else, allergy related, etc...

they say if things come back negative, we have to put her on a non-allergenic dry food until we can figure out what it is...

so frustrating, so we feel your pain. hugs to you and nash!

thanks again all for all the fantastic feedback.. always makes it seem a little less like we're going through this alone!

Guest Peanut

thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. although we've tried some, it is certainly reassuring that we are on the right track. Anything we haven't tried has been sent to his new mommy for consideration. Keep the suggestions coming and I'll keep you posted. Vet call tomorrow (i was swamped at work today!)

I went through this with Fletcher. I definitely endorse the second round of Panacur, it will get the nasty little buggers that don't show up in a fecal.

In the end, I had to go to raw food for Fletcher, and like MaryJo said, it started helping almost immediately. He can't handle a lot of common foods, and he still has an occasional flare up of "garbage gut", but a course of metronizandole seems to take care of it.

Raw feeding is not for everyone, but keep it in mind.

We had this too. It was hookworm and TAPE worm! I was only being treated for the hook but the people on GT told me that if I could see the worms then they may have hook, but they also have another worm, which was tape.

We did 3 days panacur-- no change

We did 10 days panacur-- no change

We did 5 pills at one time donatel (SP???)

Now they seem OK.

Good luck and let us know but definitley do a stool sample.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest whatamasterpiec

Our girl ate an entire loaf of bread about 1 1/2 weeks ago. She has had liquid poo since then. I've tried fasting her twice now & then putting her on a bland diet. She starts to firm up but as soon as I add kibble she goes back to liquid. It's not all the time, it's at her normal twice a day bowel movement times. She does her normal wander around to find the right spot then when she goes it's like applesauce. Not the rush outside & immediately go like you normally picture diarrhea. Any ideas? I'm going to the vet in two days.