Chronic Liquid Poo

Guest Peanut

Was he on a big-arse dose of flagyl? When we thought my boys may have had giardia or a cryptospridium from the water, they were on a super high dosage (6-250 pills a day). We sent off to some super high-tech lab that did flourescent stains and nothing showed for the giardia or cryptospridium. We then went to a round of sulfasalazine for colitis, because at that point, their guts were totally messed up (we had blood in poo for weeks). We ran a round of that, and I changed foods. Mind you, I am not a person who likes change, and I don't change foods. Anyway, we have determined since that it had to be the food. The boys have had very limited treats, the new kibble, and a homecooked for an add in. If I try to throw in anything different, I see Chase looking a little punky. I think in the reading I did, it said we needed a totally different protein and carb source, and the duration would be at least three months to start, and maybe six months. Unfortunately, I had already bought the food and stayed with chicknen , which is the meat source we use here. The boys did get better, so we had to figure it was the original kibble. We also threw in some probiotics along the way, after the flagyl. I then used some acidolpholous for for Chase for about a week.

So, as I see it, his gut is messed up big time, and he has an additional stressor of being in a new place. I think you have some really good suggestions from the others who have responded. I hope he starts to mend soon. He'll be awhile healing up and getting back to normal considering where he is now.

Good luck :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest Peanut

This is the note from mom today (we did a foster with intent to adopt placement to see if he could handle being an only dog - poo issue was present with other dogs around):

Aside from his stool problem. I'd be more than happy to adopt Nash. He is

very well behaved. There's a lot of suggestions from all these people about

his stool problem. I'm not sure what to follow!! I've done some internet

search as well and I've been giving him just white rice and burger meat, the

enzyme you gave me and I've been giving him a spoon of fat free yougurt as

well. His stool is a little bit better. It was seriously gushing out like

water before. Today it's still very loose but at least not extremely watery.

He is not passing gas as far as I know. I don't really think it has to do

with anxiety. He likes to follow me into different rooms and just sits there

watching me or take a short nap. He doesn't look stressed but I really don't

know what is causing the poop problem.

I have a grey w/the same problem but she has bouts of it, not chronic, she is also on prednisone , phenabarbitol and has chemo(brain disease) every 3rd week so it is hard to tell if it's food, meds, stress ,or all of these combined, the metranidizol clears it up after 3 pills. She gets California Natural Lamb and Rice mixed w/hamburger and rice or chicken w/rice. Also I give her peptobismol at the 1st sign and lay off the treats, unfortuatley I am a softy and she has gone through so much in the last few months w/ her GME (brain disease), I tend to give too many treats - Merrick sells all natutal, I buy online a case at a time of Beef Lung sqares, she loves them! My other grey never gets liquid poop and he eats the same diet she is on. My heart goes out to you, it is hard when they have this problem, lack of sleep is a horrible thing never mind the smell when it's on a carpet. My vet also said that it could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome, like humans get and they treat w/metranizidol. Hope it gets better soon!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest RosiesMom

Rosie had some odd digestive issues at first (really mooshy "otherworldly orange" poo), :sick but she is on Solid Gold Barking at the Moon (which I resisted at first, silly me!) and is functioning normally.

She does seem to react to grains in her food. I limit her grain-containing cookies or she gets all slushy again.

Barking at the Moon has no gluten of any kind...and this seems to agree with her.

Here's hugs and healthy thoughts for Nash.

Edited by RosiesMom