How Often Do You Take Your Hounds To The Vet?

Guest robingrey

Frequency of Vet Visits  

296 members have voted

1. 1. In the last year, how often did you take your grey to the vet? If you have more than one, use the average number of visits last year.

• Never Been
    • Once a Year
    • Twice a Year
    • 2-4 Times a Year
    • 4-8 Times a Year
    • 8-12 Times a Year
    • Bi-Monthly
    • Weekly
    • Daily

Guest patti909

I tend to have dogs that either get hurt a lot (Lacie and Luke) and I have 2 greys that have issues; Gracie with 31 allergies.

Thank doG that Lucie is healthy and injury free.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SillyDog

In the past year or so, Carly went 4 - 5 times because of UTIs/urine ph problems and diarhea. Prancer's went 4 times already in 2007 because of a badly infected anal gland. Carly needs a yearly soon and Prancer needs a dental soon. So, I answered between 4-8.

Guest neworleansmama

Once each for well visits, plus in the two years we've had them one visit each for attacks by other dogs or attacks by mystery substances in the yard. Very healthy dogs.

for the last 8 years all my dogs went in annually for wellnes/dental visits.

Now they are all getting older and have had to go more frequently.

13 yr old, congestive heart failure, several "growths" removed, big dentals, he is has been about 5 x year

12 yr old,, very healty,,still only once/twice a year

9 yr old, had serious accident/surgerys etc,, he has been to the vet a lot. he is at 8-12 x year

I think we are doing pretty well so far!

on a side note,, i'd go everyday if needed to keep them healthy and happy!

I love my doggies!!!! :wub:

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest crazy4greys

Depends on the dog.

Tucker, knock on wood, has only been for his vaccines.

Skylar, same thing as Tucker, except for additional care for teeth cleaning & extractions, thyroid check.

Autumn has been for usual vaccines, teeth cleaning and now more often for acupuncture & chiropractic. She has been once a week for 4 weeks, then down to once every 3 weeks 2x. Now, she is down to once every 4 weeks from here on unless something happens where she needs to go more often.

Guest ProudGreyMom

Generally twice a year. Jake is 8 and Andy is 5 and they are doing great. So they go for their shots, heartworm tests etc., and sometimes to have nails clipped or bloodwork done (Jake is on medication).

For us, depends on the hound. Icarus is there more often, but he gets monthly acupuncture/chiropractic treatments (since November).

Orion only goes for blood donation and wellness checkups, so far... knock on wood.

:)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest FordRacingRon

I voted 4-8 but would have only been 2 had Leia not been bitten,,but the question was last year how many times. It would have been twice, once for rabies shot and once for wellness and other shots,,but the dog attacks caused more visits,,it may have been over 10, I really can't recall already.

I voted 2-4, tried to average the two. With Nube's bloat, that was 3 (or 4?) times just for that, plus his regular preventative. Then Rainey went once for preventative, but again for rabies that was due 4 months before the other. Oh, and stitches in Dec of 2005 when her and Nube duked it out :o. I didn't factor in the urine and pooper samples dropped off though....

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I only take my hounds to a vet if it's really necessary...Ivy hasn't been for years and Soldi went one year ago for her

corn but the vet couldn't help...Greytalk people helped! I try to avoid unnecessary vet visits...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest greycious_gal

Tough one to answer. We always do an annual visit. Then, there are those wonderful little serendipidous visits. :P Let's see...colitis/giardia thing, sore back/shoulder, a dental if needed, and other such things. I think we probably average 3-4 times, but we make the most of them. If one is going in, we hope to work a two-fer somehow. :lol

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Well, I voted 4-8 because we do 6 month (senior blood panels) visits on the old guys (10, 12 and 13) and they've also gone back for dentals at one time. We also had a few health issues this year, which brought us back with a couple of the pups.

Normally I would say we average 2-3, last year was just a bit busier.

• 1 month later...
Guest phelipa

Well Brynne has run into a bunch of "predicaments" lately so we've been there at least 8 - 12 times this year...but I don't thin kthat's really normal. Apparently she'd had a hard year :( but so far so good!

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Two of my three Greys have been to the vet once each last year for shots and a check up. My clumsy girl, Kelsey, has been there 3 times for repair of wounds then once for shots. If you think all Greyhounds are graceful you haven't seen my Kelsey. :P

Guest shirley

Bit hard to poll my answer on this one as I have 2 but as a break down Smokey goes once a year for his annual check up and vaccinations etc. he also goes every 6 weeks approx just for his nail trim as he is a big sook.

Cassie on the other hand is still racing so I check her myself after racing but take her to the vet every 8-10 weeks for a proper check up to make sure I'm not missing anything. She also has her 12 month check up and vaccinations.When she retires it will be the normal once a year unless of course she hurts herself. I have been very fortunate that I have only had to make limited trips to the vets for reasons other than I've just listed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chadmom

Well, I didn't read all of the replies, but IMO you're question doesn't have an exact answer. In the 6 years we had Chad, he went every year for his well visit (this included shots, etc.) I can only think of one or two times that we had him there for sick visits. I can remember an ear infection after we got him and his OS diagnosis, but other than that I can't remember any other visits.

Your question is kinda like, "I'm thinking of having children. How often will I need to take them to the doctor?" It kinda a crap shoot, you never know what will happen in life, you just have to go with the flow.

My understanding is that greyhounds are typically healthy than other breeds. Yes, there is the cancer scare. But most dogs that live to be seniors will be diagnosed with cancer, greyhounds just happen to be one of the large breeds that live to an older age.

OH, I'm the idiot who accidentely voted "Never Been". I meant to click on ONCE A YEAR and before I realized it I hit the vote button. I certainly would not vote "Never Been."

Edited by chadmom

I voted twice a year. Once for yearly exams, bloodwork, etc. and then once a year b/c I'm a crazy mom who suddenly decides her dog has pannus b/c she has slightly goopy eyes. Mostly though we don't need to go (knock on wood) - I attribute that to them being raw fed and therefore having a lot less health problems (ie. goopy eyes that went away as soon as they were put on raw). :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Between Lou with his hip, Romi with his corns, and Bailey dislocating toes, I think I will get depressed if I add it up to get the actual number of visits. I will guess an average of 4x, but I know, especially with Lou's hip, it's been way way more than that.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I always make sure to take Spencer in at least once a year for a checkup and any shots he needs. But he always seems to have something that requires him to go to the vet so I take him as often as he needs to go. And always for a yearly dental!

Guest Baileygrey

When we first got Bailey she had to go all the time. She was constantly getting hurt in the back yard. Running into trees and what not. She has a thyroid problem etc...

The last two years she has gone for her shots and to get her teeth cleaned that is it. :) She has been very healthy