Let Me Show You Why They Give Us Those Muzzles

Guest JudiK

Do you muzzle?  

825 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the muzzles that came with your hounds?

• I never muzzle.
    • We use muzzles in the car.
    • We use muzzles inside fenced areas.
    • We muzzle new dogs & fosters.
    • (Other) please explain.

Guest CharlEYp

Thanks Greyaholic, i guess i just got nervous after spending most of yesturday reading this thread. Like i said i've owned dogs before but never a grey and never seen such injuries from play.

Having said that i calmed down a lot afterwards and i think i'll stick with your advice, he met a westhighland terrier yesturday on his evening walk and while he was curious he didn't get over excited.

Thanks for the advice.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest kahjul

I posted 'other'. My Diva girl has proven to be very reliable 99% of the time. We have had her since she was 12 weeks old so she never got trained to a muzzle. I 110% believe she would never hurt-even accidentally-a human. Her prey drive is so high that she wears a muzzle when she plays with other dogs or goes anywhere she may meet other dogs on leash. My youngster is muzzled anytime we have a BBQ, anytime she plays with other dogs. She is actually very sweet and not aggressive, but shy and I'm afraid of what she might do if cornered. Better safe than sorry for us. We have never had an issue in the house or in the car. They both seem to get mouthy only when riled up. We have had no issues over toys, food or beds.

Edited by kahjul

Guest Jchallis87

when we get a new dog we muzzle all 3 of ours until we know they can get along. the only time they arent muzzled is if we can give them 100% of our attention. they were all muzzled in the car when we first started and i usually muzzle them in play groups cus they tend to get nippy at the other dogs bums. but in the house weve never muzzled. the greys tend to leave eachtoher alone unless they are snuggling. they tag team the bulldog sometimes. but thanks for sharing. a real eye opener :S weve always held on to the muzzles we are given

• 2 months later...

I use muzzles at home to protect the cats from new dogs, and yard muzzles to stop licking of stitches, not so much the dogs from each other! when they are freerunning in a large area then they wear muzzles - have never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lunasmom

My adoption group did not give me a muzzle. The do use muzzles at their kennel but I don't think they believe in using them on the dogs after they are adopted.

My adoption group did not give me a muzzle. The do use muzzles at their kennel but I don't think they believe in using them on the dogs after they are adopted.

If your greyhound lives at home without any other dogs and has no issues with chewing things or counter surfing, there is really no reason for you to need a muzzle.

We lived for years with multiple large breed non-Greys, and never thought of muzzling any of them....The 'trouble-maker' was crated if we went out.

Once we had Greys, it only took one very minor accidental nip to open our eyes as to how fragile their skin really is.

Even though they really do all get along, we started to muzzle everyone if we're not home.

It only take a second to slip them on and the dogs don't mind at all.

You may want to get a muzzle to have on hand in case you want to attend a Greyhound Fun Run.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest lunasmom

If your greyhound lives at home without any other dogs and has no issues with chewing things or counter surfing, there is really no reason for you to need a muzzle.

We lived for years with multiple large breed non-Greys, and never thought of muzzling any of them....The 'trouble-maker' was crated if we went out.

Once we had Greys, it only took one very minor accidental nip to open our eyes as to how fragile their skin really is.

Even though they really do all get along, we started to muzzle everyone if we're not home.

It only take a second to slip them on and the dogs don't mind at all.

You may want to get a muzzle to have on hand in case you want to attend a Greyhound Fun Run.

Luna is an only dog. I have had her 3 1/2 months now and hasn't gotten in to much until last week (partially my fault but i think she is getting a bit more mischievous as she settles in). I have a baby gate blocking the kitchen and a crate which she likes to sleep in at night (my group also STRONGLY suggested I get rid of the crate IMMEDIATELY because they don't believe in using those after adoption either).

I will look in to getting a muzzle though. I have read a lot on this site about all the benefits and very few people had anything negative to say about the kennel muzzles. Both this site and my group have made it clear that use of crates is controversial and I dont want to debate that so I will just say that Luna seems to like hers. The door is usually left open and she goes in on her own.

Do you (or anyone reading this) have any suggestions on a good place to get a muzzle?

Luna is an only dog. I have had her 3 1/2 months now and hasn't gotten in to much until last week (partially my fault but i think she is getting a bit more mischievous as she settles in). I have a baby gate blocking the kitchen and a crate which she likes to sleep in at night (my group also STRONGLY suggested I get rid of the crate IMMEDIATELY because they don't believe in using those after adoption either).

I will look in to getting a muzzle though. I have read a lot on this site about all the benefits and very few people had anything negative to say about the kennel muzzles. Both this site and my group have made it clear that use of crates is controversial and I dont want to debate that so I will just say that Luna seems to like hers. The door is usually left open and she goes in on her own.

Do you (or anyone reading this) have any suggestions on a good place to get a muzzle?

Crates are GREAT. Some dogs don't tolerate being crated. Those dogs will let you know straight away that they are not OK with it (Barbie doesn't cope in a crate though I did use it early on overnight for toilet training, two of my fosters have loved the crate, one not so much)

Good place to get a muzzle: http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/GEM-Store/category/muzzle/ . Other adoption groups likely sell them. GEM store has been around a long time, always fast friendly service in my experience.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 months later...

I only have one greyhound (and no other dogs), so muzzling isn't needed in the car. I do have two cats at home, but my grey has learned to be good with them. It's been six years and no incidents.

I am mostly home, but there are periods when I have to go out to work regularly and the dog doesn't like that. She will sometimes get fed up and start chewing stuff while I'm gone, so that's when I use the muzzle. She goes to a dog park to play with other dogs, but she has never shown any aggression at all, even to little ones, so I don't muzzle her there.

Guest grisabella

In answer to the poll we always put the muzzles on when they go out (only had the dogs a week now) and to be honest always will. And at night time as they can be a little funny at night with the beds even though during the day they're fine. Would like not having to at night, but we will see.

• 3 months later...
Guest fenix916

Wow, we knew about muzzling and are planning to get one ourselves (we've had our boy for 2 weeks), but the rescue group didn't give us one, nor did they suggest buying one. This is a good reminder to get us on that.

as the mother of my children will only allow me to have one grey at a time, I don't have that problem IF I go to a dog park my grey will ONLY run if the other dogs are muzzled too. or she is alone. When I went to Solvang Queen was never muzzled nor were the others and we did not have issues BUT they were all on leashes. Now Queen is gone, but not forgotten...and CONRAD has arrived :beatheart a beautiful mostly black boy with pictures to follow....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...