Stevie Doing Well On New Ibd/ple Treatment Plan!

Guest tigger

Hi,

Well it's Day 7 on the new medication treatment plan and Stevie is doing great!!!!(knock on wood!) :yay:yay

He feels so much better, he is gaining weight(good weight, not fluid) his gum color is a healthy pink not pale pink, he runs around the yard playing with his stuffie toys and drug me across the yard because he refused to let go of Mister Bunny Rabbit stuffie :)

And when he sleeps it is a very deep, restful sleep. I haven't seen him feel this good in a long time!

What a huge difference it makes to be with the right vet who knows the right treatment plan that treats the disease AND supports his system to help him do all he can to get and feel better :)

And no post would be complete without a poop update! Pudding poo, but with consistency or thickness. Unlike the loose(watery) pudding poos before. And that is the key....the water making it loose means he is losing protein still and that is not good. He will never have a perfect poop....that's okay as long as it's not watery!!!

This is what he started last Friday....just the Pepcid AC switch to Zantac 150 made a big difference in how he feels...no more bloating and things actually move through his system on a regular schedule

Budesonide 2mg a day

NO PRED!!!!---stop ASAP...the Budesonide will pick up immediately and do the good job the pred has been doing to reduce the inflamation.

Azathioprine--50 mg once a day for 10 days, then once every other day for 10 days til next recheck/bloodwork

Zantac 150---helps with upset stomach from meds, but he really likes it for bloating/gas and stevie does have problems with that...in his words "Zantac kind of takes hold of the gas and kicks in the motility of the GI tract to move it on through".

Metronidazole--500mg in AM....250mg in PM.

Glutamine-500 mg once a day

Probiotics--1 tablet daily, must contain acidopholus, lactobacillus, bifidobacterium

Denamarin--SAMe and milk thistle combo given on empty stomach one hour before his meal

B12 injections as previously directed

Food--Natural Balance Duck and Potato--or any hypoallergenic diet that works for him...prescription diets NOT preferred as they have too many additives, preservatives, etc that his system doesn't need to have to process out.

Pictures of Stevie.....

Stevie Feeling Great! Day 4

Stevie_Feeling_Great_Day_4.jpg

Stevie and the Girls(Mad Mama and Bea)! Day 5

StevieandtheGirlsDay5.jpg

Stevie Snoozing! Day 5

StevieSnoozingDay5.jpg

Again, thanks to everyone who helped Stevie feel better :grouphug

Edited by tigger

What a wonderful update! Kiss that handsome little man for me. :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh, he's a real doll! Great news for Stevie!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hi,

Well it's Day 7 on the new medication treatment plan and Stevie is doing great!!!!(knock on wood!) :yay:yay

What a huge difference it makes to be with the right vet who knows the right treatment plan that treats the disease AND supports his system to help him do all he can to get and feel better :)

Again, thanks to everyone who helped Stevie feel better :grouphug

:yay:pinkele:yay

It's so good to be able to come to H&M and read good news!

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

Oo, he is a cutie. :wub: Glad to hear he's feeling better!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest zoolaine

Go Stevie, so glad he is feeling better. You stated that the metrodazole is 500mg am and 250 mg in the pm but when do you give the other meds? I've added all of these to Sunny's routine. I noticed on the bottle of probiotics that it said not to give it within 2 hours of an antibiotic and my vet said that metronidazole is an antibiotic. Here we are still waiting for the results of his biopsy. The vet that did it said that Sunny's small intestine did not look normal. Hope to hear the results soon - I hate waiting.

Love the first picture you posted, takes a second to distinguish the dog on the couch from the toys. :lol

Edited by zoolaine

Guest multigrey

It warms my heart to hear how well he is doing.

And kudos to Stevie's mom, Kathy, for fighting for the best care for her boy.

Grandma is proud of both of you!

:clap:beatheart:clap

Nice to see and read good new on this board. happy to hear! :confetti

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

thanks for the well wishes :)

Alan is quite the handsome fellow too! Him and Stevie could be twins!

Oh Stevie - you are so handsome! continue to feel better sweetie!

Dr. Hodges only specified the metronidazole AM and PM dose. I give the Denamarin at first turnout around 6am as it has to be taken on an empty stomach. Then an hour or so later with his breakfast he gets the Budesonide, Azathioprine, Metronidazole 500mg and Zantac 150. The Probiotic has to be given on an empty stomach as well so it is given an hour before dinner...then he gets the 250mg Metronidazole and the Glutamine with his dinner.

Jordan looked up all the meds and none interfere with each other so there was no need to switch anything.

Would go by what your probiotic label says to be on the safe side.

Hope you got the awaiting news about Sunny and hope it was good news too :)

Go Stevie, so glad he is feeling better. You stated that the metrodazole is 500mg am and 250 mg in the pm but when do you give the other meds? I've added all of these to Sunny's routine. I noticed on the bottle of probiotics that it said not to give it within 2 hours of an antibiotic and my vet said that metronidazole is an antibiotic. Here we are still waiting for the results of his biopsy. The vet that did it said that Sunny's small intestine did not look normal. Hope to hear the results soon - I hate waiting.

Love the first picture you posted, takes a second to distinguish the dog on the couch from the toys. :lol

• 1 year later...

Somehow this thread missed being locked.

Kathy lost her Stevie on Dec. 7th, 2008. There is a post in the Remembrance section from that time.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge