Polli- Day 8

RobinM

I know she has roached. I know she has chewed seemingly happily on a bully stick, I know I know I know.....

BUT.....

She did OK with the eating last evening. We ate later in the evening which is how she normally ate most of the time. She broke her one meal up into 2 seperate meals so she wound up eating close to a full cup of kibble with 3/4 can of wet and a bunch of shredded chicken.

Here are my concerns.

Let me preface this with I KNOW we are ONLy on day 8 of MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR surgery and her whole world has been turned upside down. Everything is different. Even our house, her "crate" her safety zone is gone. Yes, we are still all together but here are the concerns....

Polli was the happiest dog I had ever met. Even in pain all this time prior to the discovery of the cancer, she was happy, play bowing and her tail never stopped wagging. She also had THE BIGGEST mouth I could even imagine. So much so that there were times I thought to myself... SHHHHH up already. It was a non stop ROO ROO ROO ROO ROO ROO... screaming and demadning to me to get this, get that, hurry it up... etc.

Now, the fire that made my firecracker seems to have disappreared from her eyes. She doesn't even want to walk. She will walk to go out and pee/poop but we want to start getting her to go to one or 2 houses and then turn around. She won't move and we can't press it. She will just stand there with a blank pathetic look at her face that rips my heart out.

She will get up to go to the door when we make our announcement "WHO WANTS TO GO FOR A WALKIE". But that is as far as it goes.

Her tail which never stopped wagging, hasn't wagged once.

She is depressed. I speak to her in loving, tones as I always did. Nothing has changed with any of that.

I know I can't speed up her recovery time and I know it's ONLY 8 days but all of a sudden I am very concerned that the Polli we know and love won't be back. It's scary but more than anything, it's so sad.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sad Robin and it's very hard to watch :( But it's also very normal. Being normal doesn't make it any easier though, I know that. But as time passes, the Polli Parts will come back, one by one - and each one will be announced by you and celebrated by all of us :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

It sounds like for now, she is enjoying *different* things. Please don't think in terms of "never". It's early days, and as she feels better, she'll take pleasure again in more physical activities. It sounds like you're doing great--hang in there and keep doing the things she likes doing right now. It will change.

Edited by SusanP

Guest myoozikluver

I know it's not the same thing, but two years ago Oscar nearly died after having 14 seizures in a 12 hour span. The wonderful vets were able to break the cycle and stop them but when he came home the two days later, he was not the same dog. He didn't know me at all. He was suddenly not house broken anymore. When he looked at me, I was literally frightened because he did not know who I was. I was convinced that I would never have my dog back again, but he's back now. It didn't take long for him to remember me, and being housebroken, etc., but it took a couple of months before he would wag his tail and play again. He was sad and scared. Have faith...she will come around. :grouphug

Lots of hugs for sweet Polli. Keep doing what you are doing, her personality will be back. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

I'm back :rolleyes: I remember screaming with glee when Darcy jumped up at her Daddy for the first time after surgery and then later in her recovery, she picked up a stuffie and played with it and I thought my heart would burst open. And some while after that, she went to lay down in the place where she always used to lay prior to surgery. That 'return' was months after surgery and again, I nearly needed oxygen to help me recover from my excitement. All the things I've mentioned here are things which make Darcy.....Darcy! And when they were missing in action, I felt as if I had not only had part of my dogs body amputated (along with the evil item) but also, part of her personality and I felt very sad about that. But the MIA parts really did come back and so they shall for Polli :beatheart

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Oh Robin... :grouphug

Polli will be okay, ultimately, because she has you looking out for her. This road is so hard, I can only imagine, but it's a road with a positive direction. She will get better and you will gain a new appreciation for all the old Polli characteristics as they come back to her. Hang in there. Many more hugs for you guys.

Robin, don't forget that she's got a LOT going on right now. Probably some pain -- if not from the amp site, then from all the muscles she's having to use differently now, certainly some fatigue from same, some confusion, drugs in her system, etc. Pretend she's brand new to your house and give her a few weeks to recover and figure out some of these things. Keep an eye on any physical symptoms your vet should address, but otherwise give her some time.

Don't know what all meds she might be taking, but FWIW, most antibiotics make my healthy, robust Zema a very subdued dog.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Robin...It won't be long and we will be reading: She's BAAAAACCCK! Just give her some time...she has been through so much. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Robin, don't forget that she's got a LOT going on right now. Probably some pain -- if not from the amp site, then from all the muscles she's having to use differently now, certainly some fatigue from same, some confusion, drugs in her system, etc. Pretend she's brand new to your house and give her a few weeks to recover and figure out some of these things. Keep an eye on any physical symptoms your vet should address, but otherwise give her some time.

Don't know what all meds she might be taking, but FWIW, most antibiotics make my healthy, robust Zema a very subdued dog.

Hugs.

I would like to quote everyone because I know I know I know.

Batmom hit on something that I was just thinking this morning.

"Pretend she's brand new to the house"

That is how I decided to go about it.

And once again, it's only 8 days. 8 days. I guess where there was a roach, and what looked like enjoying the bully stick, I had hoped a smile/waggy tail wasn't far behind. But that was MY schedule, NOT Polli's schedule.

I guess my worry is something I just don't want to put in print. So try and read between the lines.

I had read on another site that someone's dog had a successfu amp and chemo.

What their version of successful translated to was.. amp/ chemo 4 times but the dog was violently ill from the chemo so they to stop it. The dog was hospitalized a week becasue of the chemo, he was so sick and he was gone in 5 months from amp to the end. THAT was her success story. I almost puked.

I don't like to judge anyone. And I know I don't know all the facts. But it's upsetting all the same.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest EmbersDad

i will sing to you and polli.....

As I was walkin round grosvenor square

Not a chill to the winter but a nip to the air,

From the other direction, she was calling my eye,

It could be an illusion, but I might as well try, might as well try.

She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes.

And I knew without askin she was into the blues.

She wore scarlet begonias tucked into her curls,

I knew right away she was not like other girls, other girls.

In the thick of the evening when the dealing got rough,

She was too pat to open and too cool to bluff.

As I picked up my matches and was closing the door,

I had one of those flashes Id been there before, been there before.

Well, I aint always right but Ive never been wrong.

Seldom turns out the way it does in a song.

Once in a while you get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Well there aint nothing wrong with the way she moves,

Scarlet begonias or a touch of the blues.

And theres nothing wrong with the look thats in her eyes,

Wind in the willows playin tea for two;

The sky was yellow and the sun was blue,

Strangers stoppin strangers just to shake their hand,

Everybodys playing in the heart of gold band, heart of gold band.

logoblkbg.gif

Robin, I feel for you and understand the worry and pain you are feeling. You want Polli back as soon as possible. Try to remember that for every pup you read about (such as on that website) that was less than successful there are the Darcy's and Winslow and other Tri-pod greys whose photos have been posted on the forum. They all look happy and are thriving. Think into the future. "A month from today Polli will be able to......." Maybe it will help a little to get thru today.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Here's more good wishes coming yours and Polli's way! She will get better and she will eventually be back to herself. Imagine if we had just had our leg amputated, we wouldn't be the same person within 8 days. We would be going through all sorts of emotion, not to mention pain or at least treatment for pain. It will take her some time but with all the love you are giving her and with all the good wishes from everyone, including the excellent advice from all those who have been through this before, Polli will be herself again. Don't lose hope! We are all pulling for Polli!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Robin, you know I have no experience with this ugly disease. But what I do know first hand is what it's like sitting there watching what you're watching and feeling like you're losing what you've always known to be. I have been through that and I kept a journal which for some silly reason, helped me. I will never forget the day that my boy bounced back and I looked back in my journal to read how I was feeling in the beginning. I know it may not make sense, but it really helped. Polli will be back, she will!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest trevdog

Sending you both some hugs....I know she will be back to normal, just give her some time....

I also know how it feels to be worried about what you aren't saying, just take it one day at a time, that's what she's doing too.....

Edited by trevdog

I want to quote from some entries in Winslow's Diary:

January 16, 11 days post amp:

This whole behavioral thing is new. He's spoiled and lazy, but this seems like fear. Part of me says when the gabapentin wears off, all this will go away. I haven't given it to him for 2 days. Have you ever used one of those DAP things? I'm afraid to give him Bach's remedy because it has alcohol and he's taking tramadol.

Any suggestions?

this one is 4 weeks post amp:

The psychological changes were amazing. I wasn't prepared for him to be so different after the surgery. It was really like a different dog. Everything we always did and understood was changed. He was like a stranger. We went through a lot of mental stuff with him. I think that was one of the hardest things. He's almost back now and each day is better.. I hope it continues

to which I replied:

Well, when you consider the change in his life, I wouldn't expect him to be "normal"! Lost a leg, had to live on a different floor, perhaps was treated a little differently by you It's amazing these guys adjust like they do. Much better than humans!

Diane

You're right. In all my preparation, that bizarre behavioral thing was something that caught me off guard. I guess I should have realized it before it started. But, hindsight here is very good

Sending prayers :) Is she off all meds yet?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest PiagetsMom

:grouphug to you, Robin. I understand how worried you are......those are all concerns that I know most of us would have.

This is just my opinion - I have no experience with amputations and osteo - my feelings are solely based on other's experiences here on the board and my own personal feelings. As you said, this happened so quickly, it's hard for you to even believe it. Polli's break forced you into quick action, without any time for soul-searching or thinking about the situation. I think at this point that you just have to own the decision that was made - this is where you are. No second guessing.

I had read on another site that someone's dog had a successfu amp and chemo.

What their version of successful translated to was.. amp/ chemo 4 times but the dog was violently ill from the chemo so they to stop it. The dog was hospitalized a week becasue of the chemo, he was so sick and he was gone in 5 months from amp to the end. THAT was her success story. I almost puked.

I don't like to judge anyone. And I know I don't know all the facts. But it's upsetting all the same.

It always amazes me how different one person's idea of a "success story" is from another's - you see it everyday here on the board. And, I also believe that it's sometimes very hard to distinguish the line between doing what's best for your pup, and doing what best for you. We say all the time what a priveledge it is for us to be able to make those tough decisions for our pups, but what a burden it can be to us as well. You have some time right now.......the amputation's been done and the chemo has started.......maybe now you should do some soul-searching as to what would be a success story for Polli, and let that guide you in your decisions. You have several here on the board who've gone down the road you're on now and can tell you what to expect. Love Polli with all your heart, but trust your gut to do what's best.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Keep the faith that Polli will be back. She has done fantastic from the medical aspect. By day 8 the healing process is in full gear. Her muscles may be sore and the sutures may start to itch. Any medications may make her "fuzzy"

I think she has shown remarkable recovery skills, she just needs to let Mommy know and wag that tail. :clover

She will do something today that will make you smile....just wait and see.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Sending prayers :) Is she off all meds yet?

We have started to wean her off the tramadol. She was 2 pill 50mg every 6 hours. Now we are 1 every 4-6 hours. Last night till this morming was more like 10 hours.

She is still on 50 mg deramaxx first thing in the morning and Baytril 2x a day until we finish which will be Tuesday.

Vet is back in the office tomorrow so I have a list of questions - one being when should I stop the deramaxx.

I'm wondering if going off the tramadol is affecting her wanting to walk. She has to pounce/ bounce when she walks (front leg amp) so there is pounding. That can not feel good on the incision. She is on less pain meds.

The incision has been dry since the beginning. She had very, very slight oozing day 1 and 2. No bandages have been on for days.

just her pretty pink tee.

Guest ctgreylover

maybe this will help......

It sucks to see a loved one in ANY kind of pain. I send Polli ,you and all that love both of you healing thoughts.......... Healing for the physical and the soul.

Guest IrskasMom

There is just nothing I can say , to make you feel better ..... but lots of Hugs :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug I feel your Pain :sad1:sad1

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest HeatherDemps

I promise she'll be okay. My husband was convinced that Dempsey was depressed too- that the dog was miserable and that we had made a mistake. I told him to shut up- ok, maybe not so nice but not what I wanted to hear. :) I truly do think that the pain meds are a huge factor- at least they were in Dempsey's case. He was off of everything after 2 weeks and he bounced back to his normal self pretty much immediately after that. It also helped once we started letting him back onto the couch since I think he loved that couch more than us. :) There will be a lot of ups and downs for a bit but then it'll keep going up and up. Promise!!

Guest Willerton

Tramadol at that dose pretty much made my greyhound seem like he was living in a drug haze before and after his tail amputation. I have pictures of him during that time and he does look very unhappy and expressionless.

But I think he was not unhappy at all and just out of it--as soon as I took him off the Tramadol, he was back to his normal self in a short time. I bet she'll be back to normal when she's not taking as much Tramadol.