What's The Basic Feel Of Microchipping On This Fourm?

Guest WagarFamilyFarm

To Micro-chip or not?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have micro-chipped your greyhound?

• Yes
    • No

Guest WagarFamilyFarm

I haven't seen much (although I haven't searched it out extensively either) about micro chipping greyhounds here, so I thought I would put a simple poll together... Do you or don't you?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FlyingHound

I haven't adopted yet, but when I do, I will definitely be inclined to microchip. All of my cats are chipped, even though they are strictly indoor only. We're thinking of moving overseas in a few years, and if we do it's a requirement for that. Besides I just think it's a responsible thing to do.

I would add that I think it's LESS necessary for greyhounds, though, since they're obviously much easier to identify than most other dogs.

Guest Ohiogreymom

It's very important even for greyhounds. Many greys who've ended up in shelters have not been identified as greys, and lots of shelters don't even know they have ear tats. I think you'll find that most people on here approve of microchipping their greys: Just one more added measure of getting them back should they become lost. BTW: All 3 of mine are chipped. :P

Guest gr8hound47

I have 3 that are not microchipped, but plan on getting them chipped. My DH is not a fan of mircrochipping, but I am a firm believer in it. I agree that shelters don't always know about the ear tats, and ear tats over the years can fade and are not as easlily read.

I have only chipped two of mine.

Atlas' chip has migrated so chances are if he was to be scanned, they might not find the chip. I don't know if chips still migrate but when I first had Atlas done three years ago, it was a known issue with greyhound and their lack of fat.

Personally, the ear tattoos and id on a tag collar are clear identifiers. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

All mine are microchipped and I wouldn't hesitate to do so to any I adopt.

Just as a cautionary tale, however, my group had a couple fosters have life-threatening, and in one case, deadly consequences from receiving a microchip. Both had severe internal bleeding after having them injected. I would definitely be sure your grey has appropriate blood clotting factors and that your vet is experienced in "installing" the chips.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FlyingHound

Wow. Ok, I guess it hadn't occurred to me that people who work with dogs every day might not recognize a greyhound. I would have done it anyway, but what a scary thought...

All 4 of ours are chipped. Any new members to the family will also be chipped. Our group has taken in dozens of greyhounds from shelters who might have gone back to their owners had they been chipped.

Many greys who've ended up in shelters have not been identified as greys, and lots of shelters don't even know they have ear tats.

:nod Plus, shelter workers don't know who or what the NGA is or that it's the national registry for racing greyhounds. They would have no clue who to call or to even look in the greyhounds ears for tats. How would they know? Greyhound owners know because that's part of owning an ex-racing greyhound.

and ear tats over the years can fade and are not as easlily read.

Personally, the ear tattoos and id on a tag collar are clear identifiers. :)

I can tell you from years of getting greyhounds out of shelters and dealing with shelter volunteers that they don't have the time nor do they care to look for tattoos on greyhounds. As I said above, they wouldn't even know who to call or what the tattoos even mean if they found them. Plus, shelters go through workers constantly, so even if one learned about tattoos, the next worker won't have a clue.

Wow. Ok, I guess it hadn't occurred to me that people who work with dogs every day might not recognize a greyhound. I would have done it anyway, but what a scary thought...

THE most important thing a shelter worker checks for is a microchip, at least here in So Cal. They couldn't care less about anything else. Checking for a chip is quick and easy for them to do. Put yourself in the shelter worker's shoes.....they are overworked, underpaid, and have way too many animals to deal with.....they won't want to look over every square inch of an animal's body for identifying marks when microchipping is so standardized. It's inserted in the same place on every animal.....what could be easier for a shelter worker?

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest MAXNAV

My collie, adopted through the MSPCA in MA was chipped. They always chip their animals, as well as giving a chip tag and a shelter tag with their shelter info on it. (Needless to say, Max had quite a few tags on him. People used to laugh about how many he had.) My grey, adopted through GPA is chipped. GPA, Central NH Chapter always chips their greys. After working in rescue, I've seen first hand, how quickly a micro-chipped animal is returned to an owner. I personally wouldn't have a pet without a micro-chip.

If I find a wandering waif the first place I take it is the vet on the corner to check for a chip. They told me in all their years of chip reading hundreds of dogs they have reunited exactly two with the owners. By and large most people don't bother to register the chip (the paperwork from Home Again on my last foster requested $19.99 a year) or they move and forget to update the microchip.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

If I find a wandering waif the first place I take it is the vet on the corner to check for a chip. They told me in all their years of chip reading hundreds of dogs they have reunited exactly two with the owners. By and large most people don't bother to register the chip (the paperwork from Home Again on my last foster requested $19.99 a year) or they move and forget to update the microchip.

Are you sure it wasn't just a one-time registration fee? A friend has one of her greys chipped with Home Again and I don't recall her saying she had to pay every year. AVID has a registration fee of about $19 and you only have to pay an additional $6 (I believe) if you need to change any of the dog's info with them.

Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie

I have the paperwork in front of me. "I agree to pay the $10 activation fee and $14.99 annual membership"

Well then, I'm glad I have my dogs chipped with AVID!

Guest sweetpea

My problem with microchipping is that it requires a human to do the right thing and take the dog somewhere to be scanned.

My dad's last dog Fergie the whippet was chipped, she disappeared one morning, we haven't seen or heard from her since.

When they implant a teeeny tiny GPS in the chip, sort of like a puppy-lojack, then I'll reconsider.

Buzzy

I just checked Home Again's website and this is what it says:

The myth: the procedure to implant the microchip is too expensive.

The truth: while the price can vary from one veterinarian to another, implanting the microchip costs about $45. This is a one-time fee; the chip never needs maintenance or replacement. In addition, there is an annual fee to maintain access to pet recovery and database enrollment.

This is from PETtrac's website (the pet recovery company that works with AVID):

IMPORTANT NOTE>>> PETtrac does NOT charge an annual fee for microchip registration (like some companies do). This is important to you as a breeder selling microchipped pets. Why? Your customers will not appreciate having to pay an annual fee to keep their pet safe. Enrolling in PETtrac insures that they will pay only once as long as they own the pet. (This also applies to PrePaid enrollments if you use them in your program.)

I'm glad you brought this up, Pam.....I will mention it to my friend (and anyone else I run into who has a dog chipped with Home Again).

Onyx is microchipped through AVID. He's had it for many years. Every time we go to the vet, I have them scan him to make sure it still registers. I keep forgetting to have Bug chipped but I would not hesitate if I could just remember to do it.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest Ohiogreymom

Pam, I just called and talked to a man at Home Again because that's where Spy's chipped thru, and I've never paid an annual fee. He said this just started back in the fall, and anyone chipped before that would not pay an annual fee. Chick and Brandy are chipped thru Avid.

Onyx is microchipped through AVID. He's had it for many years. Every time we go to the vet, I have them scan him to make sure it still registers. I keep forgetting to have Bug chipped but I would not hesitate if I could just remember to do it.

Jenn

I'm glad you mentioned that (since Kira's first chip migrated before I got her), it's always a good idea to keep checking to make sure they are where they should be.

Guest Ohiogreymom

Oh, btw, thanks Pam. Spy was chipped almost 3 yrs. ago, but I had no idea they were charging new people an annual fee.I'll just make sure any new ones are chipped thru Avid. :P

Girl (Bianca) must have been one of the first because she was chipped last August. I am just afraid that Home Again is now using the chips sort of like retailers that hope you don't send in the rebate and that is sad to me. They actively push adoption groups and people like my boss with such low prices on the chips so they can offer $20 or $25 for it to be implanted by untrained personnel so they can pull in that $14.99 per dog per year. A few rescues here do it as a fundraiser. The owner shoves the paperwork in his/her bag THEN gets home and if they read it at all realize they gotta pony up forever.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest gretzky

I recently had Zella chipped at an event for a local shelter. Just so happens her Vets office was donating their time to do the chipping. Avid donates chips and the registration fee is waived. The shelter determines what they are going to charge as a "donation". It was the same process a year and a half ago when I had Wonder done at the Vets own open house. In both cases it cost $25. It would have been $15 for one time registration and it's $15 to transfer owners or $6 to update owner's info such as address.

I called Wonder's Vet for a price comparison. She goes to a different Vet in another town. They use Home Again and it would have been $55 plus registration fees Pam mentioned above.

The biggest problem is that the two major chip companies - Avid and Home Again - do not have compatible scanners/frequencies. If you have one kind of chip, the other kind of scanner can't read it or even register that it exits. There was a big controversy here a couple years ago when the local humane society started chipping with Avid and none of the local vets (or the county shelters) had scanners for them.

Even if shelter workers can identify a greyhound and know about the tattoos, they are sometimes very difficult to read. I can't read the ears on two of mine and I know they're there.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly