Need Help....got Skunked

Guest ALPHIES DAD

Guest ALPHIES DAD

ok, i'm sure it's here somewhere, but i don't know how to find it.

we have skunks in our sub-division, and a couple of dogs have

already been sprayed.

seems everyone has some sort of "remedy" they have heard of,

or tried, but no one agrees on any "one" particular cure.

i've heard everything from tomato juice, bathing in dish detergent,

masengil douches, (don't laugh...they contain vinegar and water which

is supposed to neutralize the smell) and lemon juice.

if anyone out there has ever had their grey (or other dog) sprayed by a

skunk, please tell me the proper "procedure" for immediate care, and

long term odor treatment.

thanks,

alphies dad.

I've heard the tomato juice thing doesn't really work. The hydrogen peroxide/dish detergent seems to work, but I don't know the exact recipe. When Quiet Man got sprayed last year, we just had to live with it overnight until we could get him to the groomer's the next morning, because we have no place to bathe him and it was too cold to do it outside. The groomer's did miracles on him, he came out smelling wonderful, but our house on the otherhand was totally skunked! He rubbed all over everything! His collar had to be thrown away, along w/ some pillows. EVERYTHING had to be washed...beds, sheets, stuffies, etc. And we had to clean our carpets, sofa, etc. The windows had to be kept open w/ fans running and air freshener for at least 2 weeks. Even when I went away when I opened my suitcase I could smell the skunk! It was such an awful experience, and we don't let him outside alone after dark anymore!

I'm sure someone on here can give you the recipe....good luck! Did he get skunked, or are you just being proactive?

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest NWGreys

I'm so sorry!! Whew!! Eyes tearing at bad memories.

Years ago one of my Samoyeds self appointed duties was to "herd" neighborhood cats out of our "yard" (two acres leading into a wooded area) - and she was very good. Except for the day the stray cat was really a skunk and she got it with both barrels in her face and chest. Did you know that skunk spray is light yellow and very thick? I do.

Wearing rubber gloves (so I wouldn't retain the smell) I applied Dawn Dishwashing liquid (it was the best grease cutter on the market at the time) full strength to the areas and worked in to a stiff lather and let her sit for 10 minutes. I then rinsed in as hot a water as I could without hurting her (you're trying to get out grease) and I repeated the application at least once if not twice more. Then I applied the tomato juice (thank goodness for friends who will go grocery shopping for you at the drop of a hat!!). Again, I let the tomato juice sit for a while to work it's magic before rinsing.

Because a Samoyeds undercoat is wool-like it retains odors, I could still smell the residual skunk on her while she was damp. After she dried the odor from her was for the most part gone, but I caught a phantom wiff every once in a while for weeks afterward. I would suspect that greyhounds will release the odor faster.

Thankfully I've only dealt with the deskunking issue once, so I don't have personal experience with using vinegar or lemon juice as neutralizers.

Good luck!!

I used Nature's Miracle Skunk Deodorizer, which I just happened to have in the house. It was in a gift basket I won at a picnic a few years before.

That worked well on Brandy and then we shampooed her twice. But, the house needed the carpets cleaned and smelled rank for a week after.

When the carpet guys came, they said, Lady your house stinks.

Even for a month after, when Brandy got wet she would smell skunky. Also, the skunk foam got in her eyes and mouth and she was actually spitting.

Good luck. It was not one of our most pleasant experiences, that is for sure.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest tiffyks

My son stepped on a skunk a couple of years ago, it was dead under a pile of grass. We tried the vinegar and tomato juice. It really did not work but we recently heard to add coffee gounds to the mix. I am not sure it works or not but thought I would see if you tried it.

Good Luck!!

Tiff

Guest DeVon

The tomato juice does not work. You need something to break down the oils in the skunk spray. There are special shampoos out there specifically for skunk baths. You will not be able to completely get the skunk smell out of the dog, I guarantee. It will just have to wear off, especially if they have gotten sprayed in the face. The oils from the skunk spray get into their pores.

The last time I petsat Princess Gracie, the spoiled lab, she got sprayed and it was one of the worst experiences of my life! :blink:

Guest ALPHIES DAD

as always, thank you so very much for your help.

sounds like keeping a bottle of natures miracle skunk odor remover

in the house is the thing to do.

oh yes...Alphie thanks you also !!!

best wishes,

Alphies dad.

Guest MountainHounds
3 qrts peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dish soap

1342341[/snapback]

That's what I've always used and others have used. Works wonderful :)

1342622[/snapback]

I seem to remember Lucy posting here when Riley got skunked and she used something like that, but didn't it bleach out the black spots on his fur? Anyone else remember that. I thought he was adorable with brown spots instead of black, but you might want to think about that with the peroxide.

A chemist, Paul Krebaum of Molex Inc., whose research involves working with thiois - those nasty-smelling chemicals typical of degrading proteins - and skunk spray, has found that the thiois can be changed to non-smelly products by an oxidation process. He became involved with the skunk problem as a result of a colleague and his pet cat. Krebaum knew skunk spray was made of thiois and suggested a variation of the formula he used for getting rid of thiois in the lab.

The formula breaks up the oils in the skunk spray and allows the other ingredients in the solution to do their stuff. The solution should be rinsed off the pet with tap water.

The formulation defies normal marketing techniques as the chemicals become unstable when mixed and release oxygen in such quantity that a container or bottle would be ruptured. As a result of these marketing packaging difficulties, Krebaum decided to make this bit of information a "free gift to humanity."

In October of 1993, Chemical and Engineering News published Krebaum's formula.

The formula:

One quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

One teaspoon liquid soap

Apply and rinse off with water.

One reader was interested but skeptical and decided to try it before recommending it. By luck he found a road-kill skunk, carefully wrapped it inside two plastic bags and put it in the trunk. Back in the office he made up the solution. The whole time his eyes were watering as he had never been this close to a skunk in his life. He dunked the skunk in the bucket and immediately the smell went away. He was amazed and impressed.

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

3 qrts peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dish soap

I got skunked this summer (giving shots to baby skunks, they don't appreciate it! :lol ) I used this formula, plus a little bit of Nature's miracle mixed in. I took a bath in it and soaked for a while and it worked great! I also washed my clothes in it and you couldn't tell that the little buggers had ever got me!

Guest EdenAU

Thank God we don't have Skunks in Australia! :rofl

The only live skunk I've ever seen was when I lived in Tx, and it came into the stables - I rang another trainer/friend & asked what to do about it and he said be very careful & shoot it from a distance (lucky I'm a good shot!)

Is it true (as he told me) that the only skunks that would be about in daylight & deliberately enter a "populated" area (ie: stables, home yard) would have Rabies?? :eek

Guest nightfall
3 qrts peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dish soap

1342341[/snapback]

1342622[/snapback]

Mods is there anyway we can gets this recipe posted over in Greyt Information? I checked over there and didn't see it, but then again I might have just missed it.

• 4 months later...
3 qrts peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dish soap

1342341[/snapback]

1342622[/snapback]

Mods is there anyway we can gets this recipe posted over in Greyt Information? I checked over there and didn't see it, but then again I might have just missed it.

1346073[/snapback]

Shadow got Skunked last night. Used the "recipe" from this group. Works great!  Use 3%hydrogen peroxide.

3 qrts peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dish soap

1342341[/snapback]

1342622[/snapback]

1346073[/snapback]

1613023[/snapback]

3 qrts peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dish soap

1342341[/snapback]

Ex- mobile groomer here, and this is the recipe I always used, without fail, except with dog shampoo rather than the dishsoap. Worked much better, if freshly mixed, than the commercial products. And you'd do better drinking your tomato juice, really, as if you have a dog with white fur on him, it will turn the fur orange. :lol

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

• 1 year later...

I just came here for advise on de-skunking Anna. Apparently she caught one in the back yard and she stinks big time.

It looks to me like the recipe has transformed itself while being copied.

The original recipe calls for 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, NOT 3 quarts of hydrogen peroxide.

See plepkowsk'is original posting of recipe.

Big difference.

Guest K9_Lady
3 qrts peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp dish soap

1342341[/snapback]

We've done this 5 times.... ALWAYS works.

5 times! :yikes:P

A local show greyhound breeder swears by "Masengill Douche". W e live in a farm area.

Beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

My greys have been spared, but I had a cat that had a close encounter of the skunk kind. Tomato juice definitely helped (although not if you had asked the cat).

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)