I Lost My Buddy Today

Guest BigJon

Today I had to have my 15 year old Boise put to sleep. I adopted Boise (red male) & Girlsie (black brindle female) through Greyhound Rescue of Idaho in Sept. 96. I lost Girlsie much to soon to cancer in 2001. Boise was able to enjoy almost 11 years of retirement, he was a good racer and had the record & scars to prove it but was even better at retirement. He was a big, gentle laid back boy that everyone loved. After Girlsie died he showed his first signs of seperation anxiety so I started bringing him to work with me on a trial basis. It didn't take long for him to win everyone over & train my co-workers to give him a treat or a head rub when needed. He wasn't to crazy about getting up at 5:30 am & was a big proponent for a 4 day work week but he dealt with the grind well. I live in North Dakota now where greyhounds are quite scarce & the winters are severe so I don't know if I'll be getting another hound or two but I'll sure remember Boise & Girlsie. One time Girlsie (the comfort motivated one) faked having to go out at 2 AM knowing Boise would gladly join her for a moonlight romp in the yard. Well as soon as Boise got out the door she turned & bolted back to the preferred bed that the boy had innocently plopped down on for the night. I like my sleep but I had to laugh thinking of her lying awake for 4 hours ploting. Boise (the food motivated one) always had the best table manners, would always wait patiently while we ate just hoping for a taste of people food at the end of a meal. One Thanksgiving temptation got the best of him & he grabed a huge pumpkin pie off the counter & just inhaled it. He was only alone with the pie for a couple of minutes but all that was left was a shiney pie tin on the floor & a very content greyhound standing next to it with a who me look on his face. Goodbye old friend, I'll miss you dearly.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. Sounds like a truly special friend. May you smile in fond memory the next time you have pumpkin pie. He'd like that, I'm sure.

:grouphug

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry. It's so hard to say goodbye.

I know Boise and Girlsie will live forever in your heart. They were loved and had a wonderful home with you. May God bless.

I'm so very sorry. f_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like Boise was a very special pupl Godspeed Boise. :f_red:f_red

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

What a touching tribute to your precious babes...I know they are running together at the Bridge. Godspeed... :grouphug:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest DaffyToons

I loved your story about Boise and Girlsie. What a fitting tribute to two wonderful greys that enjoyed many years of retirement and love with you.

My heart breaks with you. :brokenheart

Godspeed, Boise . . . .

Laughing thru my tears. What wonderful stories. When you decide to adopt again, and I hope you will, there are a number of people on GT who make fabulous winter wear for puppers. You'll notice there are many Canadian members along with many in the Northeast.

I joined GT just after losing my girlie. Being here helped tremendously with dealing with the my loss. I could cry when others lost their puppers, I could laugh hysterically with stories and pictures of the antics of numerous dogs, but just the general goodnature of this place makes it home.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.