Just Lost Two

Patclara

We lost the last of our two Greys , only three months apart.

Katie died in July and Bugs left us in October.

We only have one Whippet, whom we love, but she is no Greyhound.

One part of me wants to run as fast as I can and get a Greyhound (or two), and yet there is a large part of me that is reluctant, (read VERY reluctant) to go through such awful grief again. We have lost other Greys through the years, but never two in such a short time, and we always had at least another Grey at home.

This is the first time in 12 years that we have not one (or more) in our home.

I guess it has brought us to our knees this time.

So, I am in a rut wanting one so very much and holding back because I don't feel I can come out the other side of this terrible grief again.

I am wondering if any of you here have felt as we do, and wondering what you finally did about it.

Thank you.

I'm so sorry. I can only imagine what you are going through. :f_white:grouphug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I can only say how very sorry I am. Having lost my heart dog Mulder back in March and having Scully diagnosed with a thyriod tumour within weeks (thankfully he's still going strong, but I can't help feeling our time may be slipping away) I can sort of understand how you are feeling. Your heart will tell you when the time is right. I wish I could just give you a hug. :grouphug:f_pink

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest royale-w-cheez

the grief of losing a pet is indeded a very excruciating experience. i think that right now you are just too grief stricken to consider getting another dog right now, especially when losing two so close together. but, time does heal and you will eventually want another dog and when you are ready you will feel so much better. you will always remember the pets you lost, but depriving yourself of companionship isn't going to do you any good. all dogs die and unfortunately they live shorter lives than us. so if you love dogs and want to have them, you just have to be strong enough to deal with reality. think of it this way, what if you never adopted the ones you recently lost? they may have been put to sleep and not enjoyed retirement. you allowed those dogs into your life and you made life wonderful for them while they were here. i don't know how old your dogs were when they died but i lost my little guam boonie dog when he was 3 1/2 years old to a car that hit him in the road in phoenix az. his life ended abruptly and he had a long life ahead of him. i was in tears for two days and was very sad for months after. eventually, i was ready to adopt again and now i have two greyhounds that i enjoy having around the house. odds are that i will lose them before i die. that's the reality that i am willing to deal with when the time comes, it's inevitable. but what if they never got the oppurtunity to live full lives?? that would be tragic. there is no tragedy in a dog dying of old age or of a sickness after a fulfilling life. i just wish my boonie dog was still here. cheers and sympathy for you good luck

I am so sorry... :f_red:f_red:grouphug For us...adding Lacey Laine to our family has helped...she was sent to us special delivery from Angel Sophia and she has brought laughter back into our home...we have had some major health issues with Lacey (cancer) but we will cherish each and every day together. Sending you peace and prayers.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest DogGone

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose one, having to go thru the pain twice in such a short period of time would be devastating. My DH and I have different ways of handling our grief. After one of our furkids has gone to the Bridge, DH wants to wait, or even not get another dog, because of the pain. I have felt the opposite - for me giving another dog a home and love is a tribute to the dogs that have passed before. The joy that I share with them is one of the most precious things in my life. I don't want to give that up.

Hold tight to all the great memories you have, someday you'll see Katie and Bugs again. In the meantime you will know when you are ready to welcome another dog into your home and heart. :f_red

I'm sorry to hear about your loss :( It's very hard.

Last year was strange timing as both SieSie & Shadow were ready to go to the bridge on the same day. Probably the hardest I've ever done. Heart & Austin were there to comfort me and Rob Roy came soon after.

One part of me wants to run as fast as I can and get a Greyhound (or two), and yet there is a large part of me that is reluctant, (read VERY reluctant) to go through such awful grief again.

Run as fast as you can and get two :) What a wonderful holiday (or anytime really) present :D

I've sent 9 to the bridge since 1998 and I can tell you it does not get easier.

A few years after getting my first Great Dane, I found her litter brother had cancer (I think--it was a terminal problem). I was devestated. I remember the breeder and my friend saying "No it's not fair. You must take the bad with the good."

I cannot imagine my life without dogs or without a grey! I cannot imagine never loving again. All it takes for me is to look into the eyes of a grey waiting for their forever home.......

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest MaxPower

I totally understand. I lost my Collie "Jazz" 3 years ago. he was my very best friend ever. It was harder for me than when humans in my life have left me. Odd but true non the less. I still have not been able to have another collie, and until Stan came into my life in the summer, I haven't been able to even have a dog.. The advice has been given, Follow your heart. It never lies... Prayers and warm thoughts to you and your family... :bighug:f_pink:bighug

I am so sorry for your loss, I understand how devastating it is to lose your babies. We lost two within six months, but we still had two at home. Even so, I felt just as you are saying, I did not want to set myself up for even more devastating heartache. It took me two years to be able to adopt again, and about a year after adopting one, we lost another. We did adopt fairly soon that time, and then adopted again not too long after. We are back at four grey babies now. We have a 12 1/2 year old, 6, 6, & 5. I think you just have to go with your heart. When the time comes that you are ready, I think you will know it, and Katie & Bugs may just lead you to some greys who need you. :candle:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest patti909

I can completely understand. Last winter I lost my boy in December and my girlie in February. My heart was broken twice in 59 days!!!

What did I dio??? I adopted Gracie and Lacie right away, and then Luke just this October. It isn't living with a dog or 2 in the house!!!

Hon, I can honestly say I know how you feel...I lost my 1st black greyhound Bool to cancer. I had no idea he was sick, came home, he was deathly ill, my vet found the ruptured tumor when he operated...we didn't let him wake up. That was in February 2003.

In May 2003, Brogan was bitten by a recluse spider, gangrene set in...I had to let him go. He was 13 & refused to walk on 3 legs. The gangrene was moving fast. 28 days later, my 13 yr old JRT Boner, had a heart attack & died in the quietness of my home with soft music, Holly his kitten & the greyhounds gathered around.

On August 28th, my 3rd greyhound died...Racer was 11...I thought he had fallen on the hardwood floor & hurt his hip...as the day progressed, I knew he would be leaving...at 3pm that afternoon, I helped him on the couch...laid his head in my lap, stroked his soft face & told him to let go.

Like you though, I had other greys in the house & they helped me each time.

When Bool died, I went to the adoption kennel the next day to help around...turn outs, adoptions, anything to keep my mind off my loss. There in a bottom crate was this black greyhound named Dear...if I didn't know better I would have thought someone had played a horrible trick & Dear was Bool. They are the exact same grey. Dear helped me so much through my loss with Bool.

Over the past 10 yrs, I've lost Sadie-Grey, Picadilly, Bool, Brogan, Racer (greys)...my little man Boner & my cat Jjaks, not to mention my best friend Christopher, my cousin Butch & just recently my mother.

You want to think that you cannot go through this pain again...but because you have helped greyhounds before...and you know the love outweighs the pain, you CAN do this again. I will pray for you to have strength.

Edited by snowy8

I totally understand. I lost my Collie "Jazz" 3 years ago. he was my very best friend ever. It was harder for me than when humans in my life have left me. Odd but true non the less. I still have not been able to have another collie, and until Stan came into my life in the summer, I haven't been able to even have a dog.. The advice has been given, Follow your heart. It never lies... Prayers and warm thoughts to you and your family... :bighug  :f_pink  :bighug

1115816[/snapback]

I agree with what you say...I think we love our greys more. They give us unconditional love...they don't pretend they like us. With humans, sometimes you don't know where you really stand & with greys or any type of dog, you know because they tell us every waking moment.

To this day, 51/2 yrs later, I still mourn the loss of my first grey...Sadie-Grey...and around this time every year, I mourn for my elkhound Hooter and that was 20 yrs ago.

:f_red:f_pink

I lasted about two months before adopting Scout, then Atty, after losing my Chelsea girl to cancer.

After crossing the bridge, Chelsea showed me a side of her I had never seen.

Jealous. :lol I'm pretty sure she sent me two dogs as unlike her as possible.

So, I know I will always have this void in my heart for Chelsea, but its still nice to know the heart has unlimited capacity for love.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Only you will know when the time is right.I was brought to my knees also when Howie crossed over so young and so fast.For some reason that "Divine nudge" came along and put a new grey(Unacustomed) Nike in my path.I have been forever grateful.Just follow your heart.We are all here for you.

I'm so very sorry for what you have gone and are going through. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest sbd1849

You will know when the time is right. You are thinking about things now, but whether it's tomorrow or a year or more, you will know when the time is right. The hard part is that it is a matter of time, and thinking during that time. Grief is hard. Hang in there. You'll get another when the time is right.

Guest murmurmel

I'm so sorry. :( I only had one grey, and we lost him just the beginning of this month, and it was horrible. :( He was only 6, and it was totally unexpected. :(

I definitely believe that everyone has their own needs in how long they must grieve before being able to bring home a new family member. But, like many others here, I could do nothing but jump right back in. (Not to mention we had a little nudge when we called our adoption agency to tell them about Prancer, and they had literally just gotten back from FL with a haul of dogs...inc. one who needed a foster/adoptive home. :blush)

Esp. since we only had the one dog tho, it was just WAY too quiet with no pup in the house. :( For me, it did a world of good to open my heart to a new dog and start to heal... :blush

Best wishes to you & your family, and condolences on your sad losses... :(