Goodbye To An Old Friend

Guest Roni

We just had to put our 15 year old greyhound to sleep - I hope we never have to go through anything like this again. Over the last few months, Amos' health really began to deteriorate. The pain pills were no longer helping him, and he was obviously in a great deal of pain. After much discussion with our vetrinarian, we brought him in tonight. I thought that knowing that we were making the right decision would make the process easier, but I was wrong.

Let me tell you about him.

We adopted Amos 10 years ago from Greyhound Friends of North Carolina - an organization that takes greyhounds coming off the racing tracks and finds new homes for them. He was 5 when he came off the tracks, which is extremely old. Most dogs peak at around 2 years old.

I remember the day we went to pick him up. We couldn't believe our eyes when we stepped into Petsmart - beautiful greyhounds everywhere - and one of them was ours! Passing through all the greyhounds to get to the people in charge, we saw one greyhound that was significantly less attractive than the others. He was scrawny, his ears didn't point in the same direction, his tail was broken, he lacked the elegance of the others, and he looked completely freaked out. You guessed it: Amos. Well, whatever - we'll take him. Turns out he was completely freaked out, and we couldn't even get him to look at us. We finally got him back to Mom's house, where he won her heart by immediately having diarrhea on her carpet.

We were living in Tel Aviv at the time, so one of the first things Amos had to do was get on a plane for a 12 hour flight to Israel. Knowing that he was somewhere on the plane without access to a restroom, Franklin and I also "held it" until we landed. When we got Amos home, we discovered that he was literally afraid of everything. Cars, children, rooms in our house, even (I'm not making this up) wind. Not only that, but Israeli dog food made him seriously flatulent. And for some reason, male dogs seemed to frequently mistake him for a femal dog in heat. We couldn't take him to the park on the weekends because every dog within a 3 mile radius would come out to harass him.

Looking back, I suppose that Amos had a mild case of separation anxiety early on in our relationship. When we were gone during the day, he would often select some frequently handled household item and consume it. Once he ate most of a deck of cards. On another occasion, he ate a CD. Usually though he would just eat one of my hair scrunchies - then throw it back up in the middle of the livingroom, of course.

As you can see, early life with Amos was difficult, but he made up for it by being such a sweet dog. When things were tough for us, we would say to eachother, "Well, at least Amos will be happy to see us." And he would be - prancing around like a pony when we walked in the door.

Over the years, Amos lost many of his fears. Though he never developed a desire for adventure, it's hard now to remember the dog that used to hide in the other room when we had friends over. Instead Amos turned into a wonderful house dog - happy to just be at home with his people. And a social butterfly, prefering to be in the center of any large gathering.

Though his eyesight diminished a bit over the past decade, Amos remained extremely healthy until a little over a year ago. He began to develop back problems, and eventually lost control of his bowels. He went from being an inside dog to being an outside dog. Although he seemed to enjoy the garden (in fact, we caught him out there running around like a pup on more than one occasion), it was obvious that he'd rather be inside with his people. Over the past 6 months, things went from being usually OK, and occasionally bad to being usually bad and occasionally OK. Then this past month it seemed that things were never OK.

I hope that wherever Amos is now, he's free of pain, and running like the wind.

Amos

May 1989 - November 2004

post-6717-1100544982.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like Amos was a great dog. f_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest PeteysMom

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine a harder thing to do than to make the decision you had to make. Take comfort in all the good things you shared with him and the fact that he will be at the bridge waiting for you.

Guest IndysDad

What a loving tribute for Amos..Thank you for sharing it with us..I hope when my two go to the bridge, I'll be able to do the same for them....

I'm so sorry for your loss :f_white

Run free and Godspeed, sweet Amos...

I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing your story. :f_white

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your beartiful Amos. He is free of pain and running with the best up there " Somewhere Over The Rainbow" til we all meet n greet one last time. :f_red

It's never easy to say the final goodbye to a beloved family member. Thank you for sharing about your precious boy. He blossomed in your loving care, and was a wonderful companion for years. :beatheart Blessings to you for opening your heart and home to a hound that seemed "less than" on the surface. He's whole again, in the exquisite care of our Bridge angels. Godspeed, sweet Amos...

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry. :( Run free sweetheart... :f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories about Amos.

I lost Millie right before she turned 15, and I understand how much a member of your family they are at that age. You hope beyond hope that they'll stay with you forever, and when it's their time to go, it's extremely difficult. At 15, they have made many bonds with your family. Millie and my son, Steven, grew up together. A year after Millie died, Steven went off to college. As life would have it, for the past two years his dorm move-in date has been the memorial day of Millie's death.

I hope you are warmed by many wonderful memories of Amos and your family together. One of my favorites was of my then-little boy and a young Millie sleeping together on the couch. Both of their heads were on the pillow. It was very sweet.

There truly is nothing like a beloved fur baby that has grown old with your family.

You all were truly blessed.

I will grieve his passing with you.

:f_red