Elway

bjnno1

A friend from another board's greyhound has gone to the bridge. Elway was such a special part of her life. I read this tribute she wrote about him and wanted to share. Godspeed Elway... run free at the bridge big fella :sad1

Here is the link she posted if you want to send your condolances.

http://iaisnd.com/readmessage2.cfm?M=11453...D=114530&SP=999

Here is her tribute to him:

When I first met Elway it was in the backyard of a gift shop I use to work in on Main Street in old St. Charles. John, my boss and one of my best friends, had called and told me about Elway needing a home. One of his customers had told him about Elway and she was his foster mom. John knew Jim and I had lost our first greyhound that summer. Captain Duke-Dukie- had died in June and this was early fall that we found ourselves driving out to met Elway. John had said he was a beautiful brindle boy and was about 2 years old. Elway was standing on the back porch and as Jim and I walked up , he handed us his paw. We petted him and if we would quit he would slap our hands with his paw. Turned out he was 5 years old (think John know this). He raced three years and for some reason was not given to a rescue group-after his last race they just gave him away at the track. The man who took him locked him in a crate in a room for almost 2 years. After many complaints from neighbors the APA went out and rescued him and called the greyhound people. This treatment only made him want more loving. When it turned cold his foster mom told the greyhound organization she needed a coat for him-the coat came, a horrible blue check coat on a brindle dog!!!! Elway got so excited to have his own coat, when they put it on him-he pranced around.

Jim and I said at the same time that fall day-we will take him. What a delight and character he was. We immediately bought him a beautiful red coat put it on him and got ready to take him for a walk. Nope --would not move and you cannot move a greyhound. Took it off and put on the blue check coat and out the door he pranced. He loved his walks in the near by park for about a week until he discovered the Butterfly House -he figured out if he just stood by the entrance every one going in and out would make over him. We would go to the park but he would only go as far as the Butterfly house and take up his position. He did the same thing at the Wal-Mart store on Saturday mornings-they always said they were going to get him a blue vest.t. He would walk up and down Main Street so people could admire him. When we first got him he would fix the covers on his bed just so-then he decided-he would just bark at us and we could fix them for him. Like dopes we did. Elway could work a crowd as good as Neil Diamond!!!!!! He would get special chicken at Taco Belle and everyone there knew him. I gained 20lbs. just going to Taco Bell. Wish I could take him tomorrow. Thanks for listening!!! Love Ya All Sherry

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I am so sorry. Elway sounds like such a special and loving boy. May he run free at the Bridge with all of our Bridge Kids until he is reunited with his loving family. My deepest sympathy...Godspeed Elway... :f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Elway, I hope your people are bearing up. It must have been very hard for them to say goodbye to a fellow like you. Bet you are prancing around over the bridge in your blue check coat and eating all the special chicken you can hold.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Snowy8

Wow, what a loving tribute...so descriptive...I could see him prancing around in his coat. He must've been so proud.

Thank you for loving him! :gh_lay:f_red

Guest how888

What a beautiful tribute.May you and your friends find comfort in those beautiful memories.Run free at the bridge Elway.Everytime I hear a Neil Diamond song I will be thinking of you. :f_red:f_red:f_red

Run Free Elway. Such a touching tribute!!

How did Elway cross the bridge?

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest MaxPower

Elway sounds like a very special Dog, and You and Jim very special owners. My prayers go out to you... And I wish Elway much love and joy at the bridge...Peace Mike

• 2 weeks later...