Are your hounds on glucosamine?

I've been carefully watching the way Paco walks since he started limping last Friday.  The limping has stopped, but he still looks stiff.  DH pointed out that Kaya has always walked like that, too and proclaimed that it's "the way greyhounds walk."  I asked the vet today if she thought he looked a little stiff and she agreed.  I'm thinking about starting them both on glucosamine, probably from Claudia with the Greyhound Gang.  

Are your hounds on glucosamine?  If so, what age did you start them on it?  Mine are 3 and 5 which seems young, but since their joints took so much stress at the track, I think it's probably time to start.  Thoughts?

Guest Laurie J and Della

Della has been on it since we got her (at age 2.5).  She broke her leg in her last race and was still limping when we got her (5 months later).  Glucosamine cleared that right up and you'd never know anything happened to her today!

Hi,

My 3 dogs are on the Nutro food that contains Glucosamine, but my vet said that the amount was not sufficient to be effective and suggested that the 9 year old should take more.  He had a leg injury when I rescued him, but is looking good now.

I started giving Chance glucosamine as soon as I got him.  He had a broken stopper bone in his front left leg and some sort of tendon injury in his left rear leg.  He still turns out on the rear leg and it has a bit of a wobble, but his runs like crazy and it doesn't really seem to bother him.  I think he'll be on glucosamine the rest of his life.  I got Chance in March of this year and he had just turned two in January.

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

I didn't catch the details, but heard something on the radio yesterday or today maybe about some new test result on glucosamine on people with arthritis, and results show it is definitely effective.  I wish I was paying more attention, but it seemed as if this was some new proof that hadn't been available before.  I guess I could look it up on a news website... anyway, if it's effective on people it ought to be effective on dogs, right?

Tam

Guest Brindled Greys

Nutro has added some glucosamine to it's food.  I've switched to Solid Gold now, and haven't checked to see if they do.

Guest azgreyluver

Barkly just started on glucosamine. He is 3 but, is a little stiff and has trouble getting up in the mornings or after he has been in one position to long. He broke his toe a year ago and has swollen joints so it seemed like a good time for him to get started.

I give pill called Flex-a-Min to my rottie. 1 pill morning and night. Has glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. It builds and maintain joint cartilage. You can buy at any store.

Guest Greybritts

I did try glucosomine, but Carin did exceptionally well on Fresh Factors, which contain Chondrotin Sulfate. My vet said we should all take it!! Anyway, they are in tablet form and available through Springtime.

Tall has been taking Glucosamine since we got him (a year ago).  His food also contains Glucosamine & Chondroitin, but we give him an extra 'dose' of the Gluc. (bought from Claudia and the Greyhound Gang).  He also gets Dynamite Showdown once a day...really helps with the gas problem!

Michael and I take Glucosamine as well (hmmm...wonder if I could get Michael to take the Dynamite Showdown too?  :rasberry )

Guest Angie626

I give Shazam fresh factors also.  We originally bought it for Murphy but started giving her a pill with each meal too.  It has improved her coat because she had very dry flaky skin.  I never noticed stiffness, but hopefully never will now that she's on it!

www.springtimeinc.com to order.

When I first got Onyx, she was 4.  I actually called up the adoption group to make sure she was ONLY 4 and not 14 as she was very very stiff.  I have had her whole body xrayed at one time or another.  She has some arthritis.  I put her on glucosamine and even though she is now 6, she acts like the 4 yr old I thought I had.  Brindle never showed signs of needing it, but she will be 9 in Jan, so she is on it as well.

I never saw such a change as I did 6 months after I put Onyx on it.  And it took a minimum of 6 months for Ony to get to where she is at today.

I bought the BIG 2 yr supply from Claudia at Dewey.  

I feed the Nutro too (senior) and I knew the amount in it was not sufficient.  I spoke to Claudia as well, and she said I could get good stuff over the counter.  I forgot the name but it is triple strength 2 pills once a day and it is 1500 of glucosamine and 1200 of chondrotin.  It says after 40 days you can reduce to 1 tablet a day. (I don't know if that is a good thing to do)  It was 31.00 for I think 80 tablets.  Darius is going to be 9 next march :( and he shows no signs of stiffness yet :)  I want to make sure he stays that way for as long as possible.  I have our yearly vet check up this Friday and will bring him this information just to make sure he approves.  Darius has been on this stuff for a week now.    

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest Hattiemae

My girls are 9 and 10, and have been getting both glucosamine (from Claudia)  and chondroitin ( in Fresh Factors) for about a year now.

My seniors get Missing Link Plus (Plus is Glucosamine), Fresh Factors & MSM. Youngsters get Missing Link & MSM.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Ok, I'm sold on the glucosamine and ordered some from Claudia.  :)  My guys get the Nutro with chondrotin and glucosamine, too, but I never really thought there was enough to do a good job.  Good marketing strategy, though!

Guest mom2echo

I have had Echo on glucosamine (Claudia's Get Up & Go) since she arrived last October. (She's 5 now)  She was retired after breaking a leg, and I felt that it was just a matter of time before she could start having some stiffness, etc., so this is strictly preventative. We put Rosie on glucosamine when she was 7, about 3 years after we adopted her.  She had a bad shoulder and limped slightly almost from the day she came to us.  Within about a month after starting her on the GU&G, her limp disappeared and never returned. I have had really good results with glucosamine and would recommend it.  Claudia has lots of information about it on her web site.

Yvonne & Echo

What age should they start having glucosamine?  Do I need it for MaddiDog?

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Hattiemae

Bevd, I think I remember hearing/reading that growing dogs don't need this supplement. &nbqp;Hopefully someone who knows for sure will come along soon with better information. :)

Guest claudia

ahh - glucosamine - near and dear to my heart, and all the greyhounds that have passed through the Gang.

So many people don't see the arthritis in their dogs. So many greyhounds were walking around Dewey needing glucosamine.

It's cheap, and it works, and as cold weather approaches these dogs' joints just get stiffer.  You can save on vet bills with preventative use of glucosamine.

My rule in giving glucosamine:

If a dog raced AT ALL - even trained...

If there is any injury that affects joints

If there is anything broken, sprained - toes, hocks, backs etc.

If your grey is 6 or over

Give pure glucosamine...1500 mgs a day (there is not enough in dog food)

Read the testimonials on my web site - I get them almost everyday. Read the Q&A under the glucosamine section. It's written so all can understand, and there are links to more sites with more technical and complete information.

You can get a decent quality glucosamine/chondroitin in Wal-Mart so there is no monetary reason to not put your dog on it.

If you buy Get Up & Go Glucosamine from the Gang - 100% goes back to help greyhounds in need (you can see where your money goes under Donations Made), so it's a win=win situation.  Your dog feels better, and you help more dogs find loving homes.

Please do give it a try - your dog will thank you... :)

(make sure it's high quality & standardized or you will waste money)

OK - off my glucosamine soap box.... :)

claudia and the Greyhound Gang in southern Utah

Greyhound Gang