Advanced testing for Giardia

My new Irish girl, Flashy, has been with us for a month. I wasn't surprised that she had loose stool after the stress of traveling and a food change. Fortunately, although gooey at times, it was not full blown diarrhea.

This week Flashy met my vet for a new dog wellness exam and I asked for a fecal test. Instead of the usual fecal test he suggested the Keyscreen GI Parasite PCR panel by Antech. Although her pre-travel testing showed her to negative, this test showed her positive for Giardia duodenalis.  This explains how Antech works and finds moe than the typical float or ELISA tests.

https://www.antechdiagnostics.com/keyscreen2/

https://www.antechdiagnostics.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/KeyScreen-Educational-Support_Giardiosis_Digital_020323.pdf

This test was sent out on Friday and vet texted the results in 24 hours. Cost $65.  I'll pick up medicine on Monday.

• Like 2

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm not sure it's the same technology, but IDEXX offers a version of its poop test that checks for antigens as well as parasites/eggs/whathaveyou. Giardia is an add-on in both the base and fancy-pants tests. My clinic recommends the fancy-pants test(s).

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• 2 weeks later...

My new vet charges $160 for a fecal. I’ll have to find out why. It seemed really high to me. 

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

On 3/18/2024 at 7:12 AM, Mercsmom said:

I wonder how widely available this is.

Antech has a lab in the Tampa area.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png