Acana for senior grey

My nearly 14yo grey became very gassy during last months (and for very gassy I mean he could saturate the living room in half an hour! LOL) and had often loose stools. I tried different foods and found that what eliminates the problem Is ACANA Grass Fed Lamb. My only concern (together with the price....) is that it has 35% of protein, is it too much in your opinion? Before I was feeding him Vetline (a Premium brand here in Italy) which has 24% , he was good for years with this food but lately something is bothering his stomach

It could be that the company changed the formula of the food that had been working for so long, you might check with them. Lamb was never a good fit for my seniors but it does work for some, these hounds are such snowflakes. I would be cautious, tho, about going from 24 to 35% protein and perhaps discuss with your vet what you might give to settle your boy's stomach vs going to the higher protein food. What was the primary ingredient of the former food? If the Acana line is helping, see what other formulas they have with a lower protein. Good luck and please keep us posted. As I said, almost 14 is remarkable, good for you! 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

As we get older (hounds and people!) our systems can’t always handle foods and such as well as they used to, so it may just be an age thing. Or, as Jan said, the company may have changed the formula. My personal take is, at almost 14 :yay  go with what works, but do check with your vet.

It's hard for us to know what's available in foreign countries as most of us are US based.  35% is definitely high for a senior, but I agree that a 14 yr old should be eating whatever he will eat regularly.  Just be aware that too high a protein percentage in food can also cause horrible gas!  ;)

You might see if Acana has one of their senior formulas available where you are and compare it to what you've been feeding him.  The difference might be small.  Your vet may also have suggestions for an available senior food.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you! Vetline hasn't changed their formula (I am one of their retailers too 🤦). I tried fish, venison and pork but with no luck. I also tried other kind of Acana, included their Senior formula but again...gas... and Max didn't like them so much (he wolfs the Lamb one). Unluckily Vetline has Lamb only in a Less Dry formula which Max doesn't appreciate.

There is an italian brand I would be keen on trying (the name is Almo) because they use high standard ingredients (suitable for human consumption) but they have a good amount of corn in every recipe.

I've been using Acana for about one month now and even if he's thinner than I would like (but this is not that bad for his poor legs I think) it looks like he's gained some muscles back,could it be due to higher protein?

My vet, as you, says to give him what he pleases most, as long as he's happy to eat!

Thank you! Vetline hasn't changed their formula (I am one of their retailers too 🤦). I tried fish, venison and pork but with no luck. I also tried other kind of Acana, included their Senior formula but again...gas... and Max didn't like them so much (he wolfs the Lamb one). Unluckily Vetline has Lamb only in a Less Dry formula which Max doesn't appreciate.

There is an italian brand I would be keen on trying (the name is Almo) because they use high standard ingredients (suitable for human consumption) but they have a good amount of corn in every recipe.

I've been using Acana for about one month now and even if he's thinner than I would like (but this is not that bad for his poor legs I think) it looks like he's gained some muscles back,could it be due to higher protein?

My vet, as you, says to give him what he pleases most, as long as he's happy to eat!

Edited by Ilaria
  • Like 1