My ex racer has up til recently got into the car boot no problem but now won’t go in of her accord. We visit family quite often so need to take her but are worried because she gets so anxious. We are carrying her to car and lifting her in , has anyone any ideas ?

My previous greyhound stopped jumping into the car, the vet and I thought it was anxiety.  As she was not showing any other signs of discomfort and there was lots of life drama and a move going on in her world.  She had a history of SLO that affected her toe nails but was well treated and not an active problem.  But if my toenails were sensitive I would not want to land on them so did not think much of it.  Two years later she started knuckling under and was treated for Lumbar Stenosis.  Looking back I think the refusal to get into the car could of been the beginning sign of LS.

Might be worth asking about at a vet visit.

What is the configuration of the boot? It's possible that she is physically uncomfortable within that space. If she got bounced around a bit she could certainly become anxious and unwilling to ride there. Riding in the way-back of a vehicle can cause nausea as well. Def also need to rule out any physical issues that might limit her ability to pop in as she used to. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

And as we've seen with greyhounds very often - one even slightly uncomfortable experience will often make them say "Nope!" to any ongoing activities involving anything to do with what scared them/hurt them/made them anxious/made them uncomfortable in any minor way!!  I'm also assuming by "boot" you just mean the last space in a car or SUV with a hatchback (or similar) where the cargo goes and not actually closed up in the trunk of the vehicle.

So - number one!!!  Make sure there's no medical reason she doesn't want to go for car rides:
>A vet visit with attention to soft tissue injuries especially in her back/neck, look at her feet and lower legs for nicks and bumps, and any other hurty areas. 
>Car sickness is a possibility - does she drool copiously during rides, or actively heave and/or throw up, is she off her food later in the day of a car ride from feeling nauseous?  Is there a place more towards the front of the vehicle she can ride?  Can she see out towards the direction of travel?  You can use most human carsickness over-the-counter medications, just make sure there's no artificial sugar!!  Or your vet will also have rx medication you can try.

Number 2 - Use really yummy treats and classic counter-conditioning techniques to help her feel comfortable in the car again.  At a calm time when you aren't going anywhere just take her out to the car and sit with her.  If she'll take a treat at this time give them to her along with giving her some time to lay down and relax.  My dogs usually take about 20 minutes to decide any particular thing is OK.  Read a book with out there with her or anything to give her space where she can figure things out.  You will probably need several short sessions of this stretching out to longer time periods, and perhaps active reinforcement during future car rides.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I helped a new adopter with this problem by"

Better treats, not a boring biscuit
I stood by the open car door while owner encouraged her girl to jump in the boot. She could smell the bits of chicken I offered and jumped in quickly.
We repeated this 5 times, then took a short break by walking around the yard.
We then switched places at the side door and boot. In she went.
Took another break and went back into the house. Fifteen minutes later went out to the car and she hopped in with only the owner asking her to. (I was at the side door but it was not open.)

Owner continued to train getting her into the boot, even when they weren't going to drive anywhere. They'd just sit in the car and relax.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png