Second Greyhound Boundary Issues

Hi Friends!

I recently adopted a second greyhound (about a month or two ago) named Roy and we love him dearly. He’s 2.5 and wasn’t very fond of the racetracks - hence his early retirement. He is sweet and affectionate. Our first girl, Ollie, was a successful racer of 4.5 years and is the dominate one - a bit less affectionate, alpha type.

For the most part, they know their place. Roy likes to sleep on the couch and Ollie prefers her own space in her dog bed. However, nearly every night lately, Roy will wake up in the middle of the night walk to Ollie’s dog bed and lay right on top of her! (as you can imagine, Ollie is not too fond of this) she will bark and growl, understandably so, to get him off. Often times he doesn’t listen and if he does, he’ll repeat this behavior the next night.

Im unsure what to do besides maybe trying crates for both of them or her at least? She sleeps great without one (when her brother isn’t lying on her face that is, lol) so Id hate to force her in one. Wondering if anyone has experience with this. Just nervous since this behavior has been happening for over a month. Is it still early days? Thanks !

☺️

You could crate or xpen your boy. If not, then both dogs should be muzzled. Sooner or later Ollie may lose patience with Roy and use her teeth. He is still transitioning from kennel life and is used to being around many dogs. Females seem to be pushier than boys, and boys are oblivious or subservient to them.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Have you tried getting Roy his own dog bed on the floor??  He probably just likes to switch places sometimes and her dog bed is the only one available.  If you don't have room for two dog beds I would definitely figure out a way to keep them separated when he feels the need to roam.

One of mine will stand by the couch and WHINE her head off until I make her sister move so she can lay on the couch too.  She will usually lay up there for 30 minutes or so - her on one end, her sister on the other - and then get back down and lay on a dog bed.  She just likes to move around a lot.  :dunno 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi! Yes he has his own dog bed right next to hers - he just chooses to lay on top of her on hers. we’ve tried to swap out the beds incase he didn’t like them but it seems to have nothing to do with that sadly 😭

Is there are chance off adding a 3rd dog bed?  I mention that because my hounds like to switch beds throughout the day.  Nate moves between the 2 living room dog beds several time a day. It might help to provide a 3rd bed as an option when he's in the mood for a change.  Having said that, when I had both Spirit and Nate there were 4 dog beds in the house.  Yet Nate would stand over Spirit, demanding that Spirit move so Nate could have that particular bed.  Spirit qualified for sainthood, IMO, since he would snarl at Nate but, when Nate didn't back off, Spirit would get up and move. I muzzled both dogs when I left the house, just in case Spirit finally had enough.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

16 hours ago, katt said:

Hi! Yes he has his own dog bed right next to hers - he just chooses to lay on top of her on hers. we’ve tried to swap out the beds incase he didn’t like them but it seems to have nothing to do with that sadly 😭

Then you only option is to try and keep them separated (or muzzled) when not under your direct supervision.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly