Advice on Foot care

Hi All,

I would like to ask for some advice on how to best take care of our dog's paws.

Rocket has been with us for 8 months now. He stopped racing in June 2021, and we have no knowledge of any type of injury (however he did win his last race and we have no explanation on why he was retired early).

2 months ago during a hike he got a cut in between his pad and toes that needed stiches. We noticed it coming back home after the walk and are not sure how he got it (he does a scream of death when he gets stuck on the couch but showed no sign of pain during the hike or when we were home in that case!). It healed well we had follow up at our local vet after the holidays and they were happy with the healing as well. 

Now 2 months later, same leg, Rocket did not want to put his leg on the ground suddenly one morning. I looked and saw he was red in between his toes and he did not want me to have a proper look! He even slightly growled to tell me to back off. We went to a local vet (not our usual one as they were fully booked during the holiday with no availability even for emergency consultation!). Anyway, the other vet gave us a week of antibiotic with Metacam for the pain, and said it was an abscess but she was not sure of the cause (she mentioned he could have started a habit of licking the paw following his injury). Again we went for a follow up, the abscess dried out and she was happy with the healing progress. She said it may just have been unlucky and we have nothing to change in our habits. We still continue to put a protection at night to ensure he doesn't keep licking this particular feet.

We do live in a city but we have a lot of parks and a nice walk on a gravel path near a river we generally walk him on. In winter I used to clean his feet after each walk due to the salt but I have to say I stopped doing this in the summer. 

I just want to know if we may have been just unlucky or if you recommend any care that you do to avoid feet injuries? What worries me a bit is that we are not very sure why he had the infection.  We appreciate any advice!

You can try soaking feet in Epsom salts to keep the foot clean it will draw out infection.  Wonder if it was hurt again on the gravel.  You could always put a boot on to protect the pad.  

I am sure you will get lots of good advice, some times it is difficult to heal up places that bend/flex.

Foot injuries are *extremely* difficult.  They are hard to examine and difficult to bandage.  The very thin skin and fur all around make it hard to stitch anything and have it be successful, not to mention it's probably the highest stress point on a dog since they have to use it to walk around and do everything.  And they are impossible to keep clean and dry, and easily reached for licking.

I would suspect that either the stitches, or part of the stitches didn't hold and a secondary infection started.  OR there was a stitch that didn't dissolve and the infection began there.  OR it's something totally unrelated to the previous cut.  OR he's developed a corn from his altered gait from his earlier problem.  OR there some sort of foreign body he's gotten stuck in his foot - thorn, grass seed, tiny piece of glass or rock.

I've had several greyhounds rip or cut their webbing.  After much angst and worry and money spent trying to heal the webbing, I usually just leave it to heal with the toes remaining separated.  It's not worth it since the webbing remains vulnerable and will easily split again.  Most foot injuries are the same.

First - get him some sort of easily appliable foot covering for all outside time.  His foot must stay clean and dry.  Look into PAWZ rubber booties.  Or one of these if you want a more permanent solution  Medipaw Boots   And use his muzzle to keep him from licking when he's not directly supervised.  You may need to cover the bottom holes with duct tape.

Two - soak his foot in a warm solution of water and epsom salts at least two times daily.  This will help healing and draw out anything that may have become embedded.  Using the liquid solution is best, especially if the wound was in between the toes, but you can also soak a washcloth in the solution, wrap it around his foot, and cover with a plastic back (secure with some vet wrap to help prevent leaking).

Three - get him in to his regular vet for a thorough re-exam.  

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

14 hours ago, greysmom said:

Foot injuries are *extremely* difficult.  They are hard to examine and difficult to bandage.  The very thin skin and fur all around make it hard to stitch anything and have it be successful, not to mention it's probably the highest stress point on a dog since they have to use it to walk around and do everything.  And they are impossible to keep clean and dry, and easily reached for licking.

I would suspect that either the stitches, or part of the stitches didn't hold and a secondary infection started.  OR there was a stitch that didn't dissolve and the infection began there.  OR it's something totally unrelated to the previous cut.  OR he's developed a corn from his altered gait from his earlier problem.  OR there some sort of foreign body he's gotten stuck in his foot - thorn, grass seed, tiny piece of glass or rock.

I've had several greyhounds rip or cut their webbing.  After much angst and worry and money spent trying to heal the webbing, I usually just leave it to heal with the toes remaining separated.  It's not worth it since the webbing remains vulnerable and will easily split again.  Most foot injuries are the same.

First - get him some sort of easily appliable foot covering for all outside time.  His foot must stay clean and dry.  Look into PAWZ rubber booties.  Or one of these if you want a more permanent solution  Medipaw Boots   And use his muzzle to keep him from licking when he's not directly supervised.  You may need to cover the bottom holes with duct tape.

Two - soak his foot in a warm solution of water and epsom salts at least two times daily.  This will help healing and draw out anything that may have become embedded.  Using the liquid solution is best, especially if the wound was in between the toes, but you can also soak a washcloth in the solution, wrap it around his foot, and cover with a plastic back (secure with some vet wrap to help prevent leaking).

Three - get him in to his regular vet for a thorough re-exam.  

Good luck.

Thanks! I can't find MediPaw in my country at the moment, I'll try to find something equivalent.

May be a stupid question, but what is the ratio you use for the epsom salt  bath ? And is it 10min the best timing?

Thank you all for the advices, we will keep monitoring and hope nothing will come back :) 

Dissolve 1 Tablespoon per 1 cup of as-warm-as-they-can-stand warm water.  Try and keep it soaking until the water cools, but any time your dog will tolerate will be good.  If he will only allow it a short time, then try and do it a few times a day.  Very low impact on your part, and use his muzzle with some peanut butter in the front (or spread on the wall if you're standing him in a container) to keep him occupied if he gets antsy or anxious.  You really can't make the solution too strong or soak too long.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ditto what greysmom said.  Epsom salt soaks. :nod

PAWS rubber foot covers shouldn't be worn all day as they will hold moisture in. Not good.

With my boy the vet finally had to use a pet safe glue for a cut between the toes since stitches and then a staple were tried. Ouch!  I've heard some people have used Superglue, but that it burns so I never used it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

18 hours ago, macoduck said:

With my boy the vet finally had to use a pet safe glue for a cut between the toes since stitches and then a staple were tried. Ouch!  I've heard some people have used Superglue, but that it burns so I never used it.

Superglue sounds painful! 

Thanks for the advices, I will start doing the baths! Worst thing is Rocket hates water! He will jump over a small puddle of water during his walks! But peanut butter is always a good motivator!

I will start the routine and hope it will not come back ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

as per paws and toes(banged and inflamed) i clean with https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-B000HHSD8M-Chlorhexidine-Solution-fl/dp/B000HHSD8M/ref=sr_1_5_pp?keywords=chlorhexidine%2Bfor%2Bdogs&qid=1693473362&sr=8-5&th=1

i will soak the paw 3xs daily and if immediate relief is not apparent i have the area checked for FUNGUS! in the states we often call it Athletic's Foot. if a fungus then a totally different approach- keep it dry, i've used OTC fungicides and/or medicated powder.

in a pinch, i've reversed the order- kept the paw/toe/webbing dry and waited to see what happens. every time i vacation at the beach my dogs  greyhounds end up with fungus in between the toes- strange but the hairy terriers never had that problem.

as per split webbing- i was told by my late country vet to use hydrogen peroxide 2xs a day, keep the paw bandaged and let the area form scar tissue. it's nearly impossible to stitch webbing. and one becomes very proficient at bandaging. 

i have used chlorhexidine on myself- it's wonderful. i'm always getting some debris under my nails or in my hand from gardening and a couple of times soaking and all is healed. it's good stuff to have around.

Edited by cleptogrey