Coat color change?

Hi All,

We have had Rocket for 6 months now, he has a black fur with white spots. He has started getting brownish around his mouth and in his crouch area. Nothing worrying otherwise, he eats normally and behaves as usual. 

We just came back from holiday in the Mediterranean area and gave him all preventive treatment recommended by our vet. He had been bitten by mosquitoes and by a bee (requiring a cortisol injection at the emergency vet). But all seemed resolved. 

Just wondering if it's common to change the coat color? Anything I may need to look for?

Thanks for the advice.

All of my Greyhounds, even my current black-coated Nate, get brown staining around the mouth from food and saliva.  It can help to wipe sides of the face after meals.  I'd suspect that the genital staining is also dirt and bodily fluids.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My black dog would get areas with brownish cast off and on.   Usually in the summers.  It happened more as he got older.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Black dogs in particular get a "sun coat" when they are outside a lot.  The hair shafts are basically faded from black to brown from sun exposure.  It's not uncommon for them to to come from farms and kennels completely brown.  This coat usually falls out during the next shedding season, but you can help it along by a good brushing a couple times a week.

But if the coloring is limited to around his mouth and undercarriage, I would agree with the above that staining and dirt is the issue.  Use some hypoallergenic baby wipes after eating and peeing to keep those areas clean.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly