Ah! What do I get first? :)

Irish

Hi peeps =)

So, still getting (or trying to get) things ready for a grey. I'm wondering what you all think should be necessaries to have when I first get him/her. I read an article on a website about what to get, so I can go by that also, but thought I'd see what you guys had to say.

Thanks!!

Read the New Adopters Guide on the Greyhound Friends of NC website. https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/adopt/resources/

And definitely read the Lost Greyhound Emergency booklet. https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/2022/06/lost-greyhound-booklet/

I wrote both of those resources and they are free pdf downloads.

I'm a moderator on the Greyhound Amber Alert Facebook page. Join the page before you need it. Currently there are 2 loose greyhounds, put there are also too many of the "never found" ones too. Always have your dog wear a tag collar. Always have it microchipped, make sure the chip is in your name, and update if your phone number changes. My Lost Greyhound Emergency booklet is not only for finding a lost greyhound, but also how to prevent it from happening.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

1 minute ago, Irish said:

Oh, awesome! I will, thank you!

And thanks for writing those :)

You're welcome. I edited to add a couple more sentences.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Beds.  Lots of beds.  Comfort must be everywhere.  :)  Sounds like you have time to look for sales.  

And I always recommend a folding crate.  Even if you don't plan to keep a dog in a crate a lot, they're wonderful for emergencies such as diarrhea; needing to keep a dog quiet to let an injury heal; visitor brings a little dog or a cat without telling you ahead of time; dog needs a cave-like place to feel safe during a thunderstorm; visitor is afraid of large dogs; you're painting an open-concept room but dog doesn't want to be shut up in a bedroom where it can't see you; etc., etc.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Decide whether you're going to feed in the crate or outside it, then decide if you want a raised feeder.  Unless you get a giant boy, a 48 should be plenty big enough.

FYI - Most greys eat on the floor of their kennels at racing facilities, so no raised feeders.  But they do look rather like giraffes when eating off the floor, and seem to be more comfortable having the bowl at least knee high (dog knee, not human knee! ;) )   There's no science behind the statements that raised feeders prevent or exacerbate the probability of bloating, so it's almost entirely about comfort.  

Research vets in your area who have experience dealing with greyhounds.  Ask in your local greyhound groups social media, and most groups will have lists of vets they recommend on their website.  Depending on timing you might try and get in and talk with them casually, and see how you like the doctor and the feel of the clinic.  Lots and lots of them are not taking any new clients, so finding one to take you might be an issue.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly