Gabapentin

has anyone had to start with a lower dose of gabapentin due to severe ataxia and then work up to the prescribed amount?  If so, how did you do it (one dose at bedtime, 1/2 dose timed through the day as prescribed, etc.)? Did it work?  Did the dog adjust to the medication?  

he can’t take NSAIDS due another medication.  

Thanks in advance . 

It's really common to have to work up to a higher dose of gabapentin.   I haven't heard of a dog not adjusting over time - it can take as much as a week to ten days for them to get used to a dosage.  It depends on how your individual dog reacts and what kind of time frame your on.  Some start with half doses, some use a schedule similar to what you describe.   

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This was always the instruction with Gabapentin. Starting at a lower dose and building up is the only way we've ever had it prescribed. If I'm remebering correctly, we upped the dose about every three weeks until we got it to the desired dose while watching for any negative side effects with each dog that has taken it. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

my daughter's 13.5 yr old dog is on pregabalin. much more $$$$, but she has liver issues and her vet is being super cautious. Mango(3yrs old) was just on gabapentin for 4 weeks- neck, spine issue due to crazy running and off bad landing. i started her on 100mg, twice a day then increased to 200mg twice daily the next day. she only weighs 37lbs(whippet) hence the lesser dosage. it did sedate her and helped keep her quiet- but also made her super dumb. my friend's 85lb borzoi was on 300mg, 3xs daily. i was watching her after my friend suddenly died. i reduced her intake to 300mg once a day and eliminated it after a couple of days, she was doing really well in our environment and didn't need it. strangely enough, the borzoi did have liver issues- she recovered from lepto which affected her liver. the Animal Medical Center(the best in NYC) did NOT put her on pregabalin. go know?