male with lump on inner thigh

Toothy

Our neutered 4-year-old Irish greyhound, whom we adopted a couple weeks ago, has a lump about the size of an egg (if it were mostly submerged) on his inner thigh, a couple inches from his genitals.  Unfortunately, I don't see any way to add a photo. He doesn't limp or seem to be in any pain, and there is no record of a previous injury. The lump is neither hard nor soft, but somewhere in the middle. He marks a lot, but that could be because he's still new. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Rocket had something similar but on the outer part of his rear leg/hip area. It turned out to be a fairly large and deep benign fatty tumor of some kind, which isn't all that unusual. The only way to know for sure is a vet check.

If I'm remembering correctly though, there was no sense in doing a biopsy or aspirating it with a needle because it would be possible to miss any cancerous part if only taking a small sample. We had it removed at the same time that he had a dental and the pathology came back as completely benign. Good luck and keep us posted. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

He's torn his gracilis muscle.  It's super common with greyhounds.  Depending on how long ago it happened there may or may not be anything you can do about it.  It's usually not painful once it the end heals from the tear, and opinion is split about whether you even *should* do anything treatment-wise.  If you have a greyhound-savvy vet they can better advise you about what to do going forward.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly