Bad bruise after blood draw

Alana

My baby got a regular blood draw a few days ago. He developed a hematoma which has sense got down but today we noticed his bruising got worse. We took him for a walk today and used a collar leash because we forgot his harness and im worried it caused it to start bleeding again. The vet isnt open till Tuesday. 

This is not uncommon.  The bruise may spread more as it resolves.  Many times this occurs because pressure wasn’t held long enough after the stick (draw).  Ring your vet once they open again so, they may record the event in your dogs file.  Mention next time they should use a limb for the draw (not the jugular) and to place a pressure bandage…(typically folded gauze and vetwrap)..one you will remove after an hour.  

How old is he? Has he had any bleeding issues in the past?
Was the blood drawn from his neck?
Was the hematoma in that area or when it pooled down his chest? Is there still a hematoma at the site was his blood was drawn?
This is not uncommon and it may take several days to resolve.
Are you seeing any bruising? Circle that area with a Sharpie marker pen to monitor how it spreads and take photos to show your vet.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My dear old boy Spirit was known at my vet's office for bleeding and bruising after blood draws.  The techs and I knew to watch and take care.  We'd all have known to take extra precautions if Spirit had needed surgery of any kind.  The vet techs were always careful to put a pressure bandage on his leg for any blood draws and I too was there to apply pressure if needed.   Worth noting with your vet's office, as mentioned by tbhounds.  Worth thinking about if surgery is ever needed.  Very likely, however, this will not be a big problem, just a quirk you and your vet know to watch for.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

If the bruising hasn't stopped growing by now, or if there's a pooling of liquid blood under the skin that keeps growing you should get him in to an emergency clinic as he may need rx help for the bleeding to stop.  Also if the actual wound in the skin has opened up and continues to bleed.

In a pinch, and if you can find some at a local homeopathic store (or that section at Walmart carries it I think), you can use a chinese herbal product called Yunan Baiyao.  It comes usually in capsules and can both be taken orally and the capsules opened and the powder sprinkled on the wound to help the blood clot.

Yunan Baiyao at Walmart

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly