How to transport grey in a van?

My aunt has a van she sometimes uses and it would be helpful if we could get Rumble in it from time to time. What's the most secure way to transport a grey in a van? When I tried googling it I found pics of the whole back part kitted out in massive cages, which is overkill for just one dog. I was hoping maybe some sort of secure bed exists that can be tied to the sides? 

we secure our wire crate in our van. the safest way is an impact crate, but i'm not spending $300 on a Ruffland crate, no way. so, the wire crate will do. if the crate is not secured to the interior frame of the van it roll and tumble on a sharp turn or accident. many people use ratcheting tie downs. 

Just thinking out loud:

How big is the van?

If it's a car derivative then secure him the same way as if it's a car.

If it's a larger van and it has to do an emergency manoeuvrer or stop what does Rumble slam into?

Can he be secured near the front with a harness?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

The absolute safest way is the have a crash tested dog crate secured to the floor struts towards the front of the vehicle.  Gunner, Ruffland, Variocage, Impact and others are all good brands but none of them come cheap.  Many are for sale for hunting dogs through sporting goods stores like Orvis and Cabelas.  You need to have it secured to the frame, if possible, for security in an accident and so the crate/dog don't go tumbling through the vehicle.  And towards the front to avoid the crumple zones in the back if you're rear ended. 

There's an excellent Facebook group called Dog Sport Vehicle Ideas where people share pictures of their vehicle set ups and ask questions of the experienced members.  It's a closed group, so there's some hoops to jump through, but I think you can see some of the content without.

I've seen people use wire crates, and even x-pens, to keep their dogs from roaming around when on the road, but if you *do* have an accident they are absolutely not safe or protective for your dog.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly