Protest peeing?

We’ve had our boy for 8 months - he’s our first greyhound, he’ll be 5 in June.  He’s settled in well, but we do still have trouble with over-attachment (to me) and separation anxiety.

We only had one indoor accident in the first couple of days after he arrived home, due to not recognising his cues, and he’s generally quite good at letting us know that he needs to go outside (pacing between front and back door).

we’ve had three incidents over the past month, all of which seem to relate to him not getting attention when he wants it.

1. At Christmas, staying with my parents.  He peed against their bed (thankfully not on it).  It was his first stay away from home so I put it down to that, and possibly marking a smelly area (dad was catheterised at the time, so there may have been some scent in their bedroom).  However it did happen at a time when I was busy with something, and he had been getting under my feet looking for attention.

2. A couple of weeks ago.  Trying to have some private time in our bedroom, I had given him a special chew in his bed (in its regular spot, on the landing) and closed over the door.  He whined, then peed on a pack of toilet rolls outside the bathroom.  Hadn’t touched the chew.  Put this one down to SA and not making a point of letting him out beforehand.

3. Tonight.  Had taken him for a long walk mid-afternoon and then had to go back and finish some work (I WFH at our dining table).  Teenager gave him his dinner at the usual time, about an hour after the walk.  He came and stood behind me at the table for a bit, then went and peed next to / on the edge of his daytime bed.  This one seems particularly weird as I thought peeing near a sleeping area was a big no-no.  I usually finish work a bit earlier and come over for sofa snuggles before our dinner.

He’s due his vaccinations this month so I will check with the vet, but all three incidents happened at a time when he wasn’t getting his own way - or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

if it is protest peeing, how do I address it without always letting him get his own way?

Each time it sounds like he's anxious and looking for reassurance. My girl has also been marking indoors recently and I know that giving her more attention and cuddles has reduced the frequency.

Ive also been told to make sure that the dog is out of the room when you clean up so that they don't see you paying lots of attention to their pee-mail.

It does sound like it's an attention or anxiety thing, but since you are going to the vet, make sure he gets a urine sample and rule out a urinary issue.  Call ahead to see how they want to collect the sample,  as they may want you to bring the sample with you and will have specific instructions as to collection time, refrigeration etc, or they may want to catch a sample while he is there.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yes I agree. It does sound like attention seeking. He pees and you interact with him,,,result.

You could try when he pees to calmly grab him by his collar and lead him out of the room and shut the door on him. He'll probably whine or scratch the door but the split second he's quiet and calm immediately open the door with a lot of praise and a treat. After a few repeats he should get the idea that peeing is the wrong way to get your attention.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time