Corn hulling??

Bails

The vet hulled one of Grace's corns when I first got her and as it was done during one of her 3 monthly check-ups she didn't charge me.

Unfortunately Grace is one of those greyhounds that suffers with multiple corns. I have tried various remedies including having the vet surgically removing one while she was having some pieces of grit removed that had caused an abscess between her toes. It came back after a few months.

I now manage her corns by taking her to the park in the car so she can walk on the soft grass. The grass softens the corns especially if it's wet and after a few weeks they often drop out but unfortunately they do reappear but not as bad.

If she has to walk on hard surfaces I put a towelling baby sock over her foot and then a dog boot.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I use the duck tape method and I have been told (and believe) that it has to be original brand Duck tape.  I tape a small piece over the corn for as long as it takes to soften the corn.  Mostly the tape stays on by itself for a few days and then needs to be replaced.  Once the corn has softened sufficiently, I pluck it out.  The procedure lasts for a while and then the corn is back.  But, I can deal with it.

Once at a local vet, they handed me an estimate for corn removal of over $100.  I went to the FB page on greyhounds with corns and was advised not to do it.  I was told it was a waste of time and money.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

To answer your question:

If you're talking about the vet putting your dog under anesthesia, and surgically cutting and removing the corn, the answer is that it is NOT worth any amount of money.  It puts your dog in danger from the sedation, and it is highly unlikely to completely remove the corn.  It will probably grow back in a few months.

If you're talking about the vet "hulling" the visible part of the corn as a maintenance service, I would urge you to consider learning how to do this at home.  It's an easy procedure, not painful for the dog, and much simpler to manage at home.

If you're on Facebook, join the group mentioned above "Greyhounds with Corns" for more info than you would ever think possible about corns and how to deal with them.  If you're not on Facebook, it's worth it to join just for that group.

The current "in" treatment is with a product called "Animaltex" which you apply as in the duct tape method described above.  It soaks and loosens the corn, making it easier to remove.  There is also a minor surgical procedure called the "Flexor Tenotomy" which cuts the inner toe tendon (causing a "sprung toe").  This then relieves the pressure inside the toe which causes the corn to disappear.  There's a sister FB page to the corn one that discusses this procedure.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly