Excessive flatulence??

Rjelly

Hi all,

Our Billy has recently been getting more and more gassy! 

Now, he’s always had a bit of wind from time to time but recently it’s got a lot worse, and well, sorry to sound gross but he stinks! Haha!

We’ve had him 4 years now, he was a dogs trust rescue and we got him he was on wainwrights turkey and rice. We’ve kept him on the same food since then without any issue until recently. 

His poops have been normal and without change so we’re not really sure what’s going on.

We wondered if we should maybe think about switching foods or something?

We are taking him to the vets soon for his annual vaccinations and we’re going to ask them about it but just wondered if anyone had any advice or suggestions in the mean time?

thanks in advance!!

You might check with the company that makes the food to see if they've made a recent change.  Given all of the supply chain issues around the world, it's  possible that they've changed an ingredient, or sourced an ingedient from a different place, causing a change to the food. That assumes that everything else is good and you have not seen any bloody stools or diarrhea to indicate that something else is going on. 

Good luck! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

43 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

You might check with the company that makes the food to see if they've made a recent change.  Given all of the supply chain issues around the world, it's  possible that they've changed an ingredient, or sourced an ingedient from a different place, causing a change to the food. That assumes that everything else is good and you have not seen any bloody stools or diarrhea to indicate that something else is going on. 

Good luck! 

That’s a really good point! It hasn't even crossed my mind that they may have changed the recipe recently!

Definitely nothing else going on, stools are normal, no diarrhoea or anything like that, just lots of stinky farts 😂

Will 100% be looking to see if I can find out if they have changed anything though, thanks!

Grace has periods when she tries and fumigates all and sundry with an SBD (Silent But Deadly) and unfortunately she seems to save her most pungent emissions when visiting friends especially in the evenings. I think she gets over excited.

I have thought about putting something in her food bowl to slow her eating down so she doesn't gulp down to much air but haven't got round to it yet.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Like Don, I would suspect a change in the food, or his treats, if *nothing* else has changed.  

Though the manufacturing company is unlikely to tell you the truth about if they've had to change their formulation or not.  Here in the states, there aren't any rules regulating ingredients for dog foods - they can sub or change things as they wish as long as minimal standards of quality are met - so commercial foods actually change quite frequently.  A popular Purina variety was switched up about 18 months ago, without telling anyone, and so many dogs had issues resulting from whatever they changed!!

But it's also possible that dogs develop an allergy or intolerance to an ingredient over time.  If you can't find out anything about a recipe change, you might try switching him for a short time to a home cooked bland diet (a low fat protein different from what's in his current food, and a low fat carb source like pasta or overcooked rice) to see if that makes a difference in his emissions.  ;)   Also something to talk about with your vet if it persists.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

14 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Grace has periods when she tries and fumigates all and sundry with an SBD (Silent But Deadly) and unfortunately she seems to save her most pungent emissions when visiting friends especially in the evenings. I think she gets over excited.

I have thought about putting something in her food bowl to slow her eating down so she doesn't gulp down to much air but haven't got round to it yet.

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong, he loves to stink the place up, especially with visitors present, even more so if they are sat tail end! Hahaha!

I don’t think it’s necessarily that he’s gulping food down too quick but as I said, we do have a scheduled vets visit so I’ll mention it and see what is said.

thanks for your reply!

4 hours ago, greysmom said:

Like Don, I would suspect a change in the food, or his treats, if *nothing* else has changed.  

Though the manufacturing company is unlikely to tell you the truth about if they've had to change their formulation or not.  Here in the states, there aren't any rules regulating ingredients for dog foods - they can sub or change things as they wish as long as minimal standards of quality are met - so commercial foods actually change quite frequently.  A popular Purina variety was switched up about 18 months ago, without telling anyone, and so many dogs had issues resulting from whatever they changed!!

But it's also possible that dogs develop an allergy or intolerance to an ingredient over time.  If you can't find out anything about a recipe change, you might try switching him for a short time to a home cooked bland diet (a low fat protein different from what's in his current food, and a low fat carb source like pasta or overcooked rice) to see if that makes a difference in his emissions.  ;)   Also something to talk about with your vet if it persists.

Hey thanks for replying!

I’m starting to suspect that it could be down to a recipe change in his food.

managed to get a small bag of something else today so we’re going to slowly wean him onto the new stuff and see how he goes but yeah definitely will be mentioning it at the vets!