The longest your Grey has gone without pooping (weather related)

Stanley isn't a big fan of the rain. He doesn't panic--he just declines walks when it's raining outside ('I can hold it, dad--let's just go out later'). Our forecast today was rain in the morning, a break midday, then rain starting again this afternoon then CONTINUING THROUGH THE ENTIRE DAY TOMORROW :blink:

Stanley walked around the outside of the house this morning in the drizzle, stood around briefly, didn't pee or poop. Then at noon time during a lull in the rain, I basically forced him to remain outside, leading him to various trees and the fire hydrant to 'inspire' him. He FINALLY cut loose a little yellow river after about 30 mins of ..... encouragement.  I was more insistent because of the forecast...he will not be inspired this evening...or tomorrow morning, or tomorrow midday.

My question is, how long has your greyhound gone without pooping, esp when it wasn't a medical issue?  I know they *should* go at the very minimum once per 24 hours, but we might pass that time frame before the storm is over.  Just curious---any poop-shy hounds out there? How long could they 'hold it' for when offered 3 walks per day?

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Sniffy

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

I've not had that problem, Lila would just run out to do the necessary and Wiki is unbothered by any kind of weather. But a lady I knew had a foster who would only poop in his own backyard. They had a cottage up north they went to regularly and he wouldn't poop on a leash. They fenced in a turn out yard for him and he still wouldn't go.  She drove him back home after three days so he could go. 

Edited by Jerilyn
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

4 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

I've not had that problem, Lila would just run out to do the necessary and Wiki is unbothered by any kind of weather. But a lady I knew had a foster who would only poop in his own backyard. They had a cottage up north they went to regularly and he wouldn't poop on a leash. They fenced in a turn out yard for him and he still wouldn't go.  She drove him back home after three days so he could go. 

Wow! 

(no luck with us this evening so far)

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

In the UK citizens of Newcastle are renowned for wearing a T-shirt or thin top no matter what the weather, even in the middle of winter. I think Grace must have an ancestor from there as the only weather she's not keen on is if it's raining that hard it's painful and will only wear her coat if it's below -5 C (23 Fahrenheit) but will still go out to pee twice a day and poop every morning.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

The Eagle Has Landed!  :catscat   After refusing to go out for his walk last night, he asked to go out at 2:30 AM and peed immensely.  This was in high winds and rain due to a nor'easter storm. I thought 'great, we'll try again in the morning for Number Two!'.   About an hour later...'asked' to go out again but changed his mind and ran back inside.   Few minutes after..'asked' once again and wouldn't go out the door (still windy and raining).  I thought 'i'm not playing this game' and from the sofa watched him pace around for a few mins.  Then he reared up and put his paws on the door ("I really will go this time, Dad! I promise").  And he did.  at 4:45 AM Three craps within about 200 feet.  Almost lost the umbrella in the wind twice, almost got poop on my hand and the leash while picking up, but hooray!  Success!

Gave him breakfast and he's now doing what I need to do  :sleepy 

I try my best to never complain about rain, because the alternative (drought) is much worse.  But a steady rain forecast to be about 32 hours without letting up is a bit much at once. Not complaining though!  All Smiles a la Gene Kelly over here!

Needless to say, I stayed downstairs anticipating that he'd be needy, and I'm glad I did....now I need a nap.

Edited to add:  Stanley's personal record:  just shy of 36 hours without pooping.  Now Stanley, don't try to break that record.

Edited by Sniffy

1 hour ago, Jerilyn said:

:clap

Oh, you have to leash walk. That makes it a lot harder than just shoving them out in the yard and shutting the door.  ;) 

Oh I know...this was a great example of our lacking that convenience! .We're thinking of putting up a fence but we have a few other home improvement projects ahead of that on our list!  Plus, having to leash walk means my having to walk as well, which is *usually* a good thing.

Three days.  Our first girl went three days once because of a massive rainstorm.

We finally learned.  She would *never* go in the house, no matter what, so she would ask when she really had to.  We just kept to her same daily schedule and let her decide when going out otherwise was necessary.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

9 hours ago, greysmom said:

Three days.  Our first girl went three days once because of a massive rainstorm.

We finally learned.  She would *never* go in the house, no matter what, so she would ask when she really had to.  We just kept to her same daily schedule and let her decide when going out otherwise was necessary.

Wow, Three Days!   (I'm not telling Stanley about this)