At what age at full speed?

Whippy

Hey together,

i was wondering at what age does a greyhound reaches its full speed potential. I have a whippet / Greyhound mix at 5 1/2 months of age and he loves running for sure, but I was wondering if he’s already at his full speed potential?

He is kinda massive compared to other puppys in his age (raw diet) and will grow even much bigger than now. 
he Is not overweight, but Definetly one of its bulkier kind. 

Edited by Whippy

Racing greyhound puppies begin formal training at around a year old, and begin competing around 18 months old - all depending on their individual physical maturity.  So I would say, given you're dog's a mix with a smaller, faster maturing breed, your puppy should reach maturity sooner.  Maybe somewhere around 12-15 months.

Please keep a close monitor on your puppy's growth.  Too much too fast can be as dangerous as too little and cause just as many issues.  Slow and steady, with moderate amounts of protein and carbs, will be the best.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think my whippet lurcher runs slower than my pure bred whippets ran because her conformation makes her neither a whippet or (probably) a greyhound.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

having brought up a puppy- i would say somewhere around 2 or so. I was totally shocked that when he was clocked at GIG when 8 years old his top speed was 38mph. No training- just a great recall and lots of play with a soccer ball. So can you imagine his speed when he was 2 or so?

I uploaded 2 videos from my pup having his zooms. Based on them, It doesn’t really look like, that he decided yet to go full speed.

His body structure also is not 100% proportioned yet, which could be also a fact. I will never send him racing anyway, however I was wondering „how quick“ this is compared to other 5 1/2 month old greyhound / whippets 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0XqSNqilnhfwaGPpK818N2fOg

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Lve08E-HJQwGt45SwuyOLKyQ