Greyhound Trust Dry Kibble Stomach Issues?

Moo

Hi, I'm not sure how many people here would have used it, as it's a UK based Greyhound charity, but I bought Rumble some dry kibble from the Greyhound Trust, which is specially formulated for greys, and I found it was giving him mad poops whenever I added even a few to his wet food. I know about gentle introductions of food, so I know some upset is bound to happen, but I was very careful about how much I added into his diet. Now I've only used fish flavour so far, which funnily enough he seems to get loose poo with if I give him fish flavoured wet food. Is it likely he's allergic to fish, or it's too rich for him? I'm pretty surprised with it being a greyhound special formula the kibble upset him so much. I was hoping to get him onto half and half wet and dry eventually, but now I'm stuck with a sack of fish stink cereal. :blink:

I do also have a full bag of chicken flavour, so I'll have a go with that and see how he gets on. Has anyone else tried this food and had a similar experience?

When we got Buddy, he was on Wainwright salmon and potatoes kibble from Pets At Home, and he had very loose, offensive poop. We moved him over to Royal Canin adult, then Royal Canin senior, and currently he is on Greyhound Trust Chicken food, recommended by HeyRunDog. I am suspicious about fish based foods for Buddy as a spoonful of wet food (fish flavour) resulted in runny bum, and some salmon sticks also gave him issues. Some of them do seem to have very sensitive stomachs and if they can be allergic to chicken and wheat, I’m guessing they can also be allergic to fish. I suppose it’s just a case of try it and see. You’ll know within a few days. Not to worry you but just look out for any blood in his stool which might indicate a more chronic condition like colitis. Good luck and I hope he enjoys his new kibble p.s. can we have a picture please? Dying to see him!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I'm still waiting on his poo culture tests, so fingers crossed that comes back negative! No blood seen in poo thank good, I think I'd flip out if I saw any. I'm already a hyper sensitive first time dog owner, so I worry about every little thing. :lol I've given him some of the chicken flavoured kibbles as a treat in one of his toys, and nothing drastic has happened thus far, so maybe I'll keep them as a treat food rather than a main. He's already getting a bit squidgy though thanks to my mum fussing over him.

As far as pics are concerned, I made him a Facebook and IG page because he's spoilt! :D That's also him in my profile, with his dangly tongue thanks to lack of teeth.

https://www.instagram.com/GymstarRumble/

https://www.facebook.com/GymstarRumble

• 4 months later...

I'm so pleased I found this forum! Our boy Bob came to us from Dogs Trust a month ago and was also on the Wainwrights salmon and potatoes, and he had fairly noxious gas and poops, and 4 or 5 poops a day. We've started moving him over to Step Up to Naturals grain free stuff, I think we're on day 6 now and just onto 60/40 split of new/old. He is still stinky as heck so I'm really hoping he gets sorted soon!

2 hours ago, Razzie said:

I'm so pleased I found this forum! Our boy Bob came to us from Dogs Trust a month ago and was also on the Wainwrights salmon and potatoes, and he had fairly noxious gas and poops, and 4 or 5 poops a day. We've started moving him over to Step Up to Naturals grain free stuff, I think we're on day 6 now and just onto 60/40 split of new/old. He is still stinky as heck so I'm really hoping he gets sorted soon!

Hi Razzie and welcome, :welcome

Ours is still a stinker nearly three years on and we think he might have an intolerance/allergy to chicken too. We are currently feeding him Chappie and are sticking to beef flavour at the minute. A lot of people on here will advise that you stay clear of grain free foods as there is a link between them and a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) - possibly related to the leguminous foods that are used to bulk the food out instead of grains. Unless there is a reason why your pup needs to be grain free you might want to consider reintroducing grains back into his diet. 

I have had Chancey 7 years now and for the first year or so I used the RGT food and she always did huge sloppy poops, then I changed her to Burns Fish & Brown Rice I think it was. I found that was an improvement but I couldn’t use too much water on it or everything got sloppy again. After quite a few years on that she seemed to start getting loose again despite being wormed etc. Then someone on here mentioned the Gain * greyhound food for retired dogs and I tried that and things seem to be OK now but I’m still careful about how much water I use, especially as she seems to have a big drink once she knows I am getting their meal ready.

I use one tin or one packet ( something like Forthglade) of wet food per day mixed in with the girls’ kibble i.e. a quarter of tin on each meal for each dog - two meals per day. This way the majority of their main food stays the same but the addition makes it smell and taste different to add variety.

*The Gain dog food seems to be available from only a few on line suppliers and I think it may have been the food that came with her but I couldn’t find it available on line at that time so I went for the RGT one.

I find some treats will produce a runny tum so she doesn’t get too many of those, just something when I go out and leave them.

Edited by Banjoman

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

3 hours ago, Banjoman said:

I find some treats will produce a runny tum so she doesn’t get too many of those, just something when I go out and leave them.

Grace has looser poos and gaseous emissions when she has Dentalife chews 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

On 4/20/2021 at 5:15 PM, Banjoman said:

We gave Bob a Whimzee and he had terrible sloppy, orange poop 🤮

On 4/20/2021 at 5:11 PM, MerseyGrey said:

Ours is still a stinker nearly three years on and we think he might have an intolerance/allergy to chicken too. We are currently feeding him Chappie and are sticking to beef flavour at the minute. A lot of people on here will advise that you stay clear of grain free foods as there is a link between them and a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) - possibly related to the leguminous foods that are used to bulk the food out instead of grains. Unless there is a reason why your pup needs to be grain free you might want to consider reintroducing grains back into his diet. 

Thank you 😊 hmm, that's a worry. It was my brother that suggested it before we even got Bob. He knew we were looking for a grey (he had had 2 retired racers) and unprompted said if they had a dodgy tummy to try grain free

We're just about switched over to it now so I guess we should leave him on it for a while before we attempted to change again? In a couple of weeks I want to get him off the wainwright's tins of salmon and potato - he has this on top of his kibble

I probably need to start a new thread, sorry for the hijack! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 5:11 PM, MerseyGrey said:

That's interesting to know as I've started giving Rumble Chappie as a last resort. I don't really like giving him it, but it has helped a lot. The trouble is he has a weird routine; good poo in the morning and night (usually), and then his daytime poo is ALWAYS squidgy. I'm at an absolute loss. I tried YuDIGEST as it was a probiotic combo that promises "decreased flatulence and firmer stools", and it gave him what I can only describe as explosive liquid diarrhea. :puke I'm actually going to email them because it was absolutely shocking how bad it was for a product that's supposed to do the exact opposite. Keep me posted on your boy's progress with Chappie though, it sounds as though he's got a similar digestion to Rumble. Is there anything out there that says what it is in particular about the chicken that can cause an intolerance? I was always under the impression chicken was the most inert thing you could give, but since chicken is so often slipped into the food (I've seen most dog foods include chicken to some degree despite having a different main flavour, even the Chappie) that might explain a lot with Rumble. 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:03 PM, Razzie said:

Thank you 😊 hmm, that's a worry. It was my brother that suggested it before we even got Bob. He knew we were looking for a grey (he had had 2 retired racers) and unprompted said if they had a dodgy tummy to try grain free

We're just about switched over to it now so I guess we should leave him on it for a while before we attempted to change again? In a couple of weeks I want to get him off the wainwright's tins of salmon and potato - he has this on top of his kibble

I probably need to start a new thread, sorry for the hijack! 

Don't worry! ** happens as they say, I don't mind it being discussed in this thread, especially with UK owners, cos then I can get some ideas of what foods are out there that might work! Yeah, I think the Wainwrights is given to owners at Dogs Trust as it's Pets at Home's own brand, and they sponsor Dogs Trust. I got given dry Salmon and Potato and some "tins" of wet Naturediet, as when I adopted him he'd had 29 teeth out. :crying I tried mixing a few of the kibbles in with the wet food but I don't remember him ever having a decent poo with them. It's like alchemy at times trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. As for taming the farts.... don't hold your breath! Or maybe do? :sick:D We've kind of just accepted that Rumble is a stinky bum now, haha. 

Edited by Moo

4 hours ago, Moo said:

That's interesting to know as I've started giving Rumble Chappie as a last resort. I don't really like giving him it, but it has helped a lot. The trouble is he has a weird routine; good poo in the morning and night (usually), and then his daytime poo is ALWAYS squidgy. I'm at an absolute loss. I tried YuDIGEST as it was a probiotic combo that promises "decreased flatulence and firmer stools", and it gave him what I can only describe as explosive liquid diarrhea. :puke I'm actually going to email them because it was absolutely shocking how bad it was for a product that's supposed to do the exact opposite. Keep me posted on your boy's progress with Chappie though, it sounds as though he's got a similar digestion to Rumble. Is there anything out there that says what it is in particular about the chicken that can cause an intolerance? I was always under the impression chicken was the most inert thing you could give, but since chicken is so often slipped into the food (I've seen most dog foods include chicken to some degree despite having a different main flavour, even the Chappie) that might explain a lot with Rumble. 

Don't worry! ** happens as they say, I don't mind it being discussed in this thread, especially with UK owners, cos then I can get some ideas of what foods are out there that might work! Yeah, I think the Wainwrights is given to owners at Dogs Trust as it's Pets at Home's own brand, and they sponsor Dogs Trust. I got given dry Salmon and Potato and some "tins" of wet Naturediet, as when I adopted him he'd had 29 teeth out. :crying I tried mixing a few of the kibbles in with the wet food but I don't remember him ever having a decent poo with them. It's like alchemy at times trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. As for taming the farts.... don't hold your breath! Or maybe do? :sick:D We've kind of just accepted that Rumble is a stinky bum now, haha. 

This is where we are with Buddy - he is a stinky bum. I don’t want to give him anything with too much fat in case it gives him pancreatitis, but then we find his skin gets really flaky, so we have just started adding a little oil supplement to his Chappie. Chappie kibble was suggested by his vet after a few bouts of diarrhoea (related to him eating his own poop on a few different occasions). We have tried him on both the chicken and the beef Chappie, and while we could be imagining it, I think he’s slightly better on the beef. I posted on here just before Christmas about his tummy issues, and it was someone who is really experienced with greyhounds who suggested that he could be allergic to chicken. I thought the same as you about it being pretty much the go-to food for tummy upsets but his poo gets a slimy film on it when I’ve given him chicken. So the answer is - I don’t know if he is, but he seems to marginally better on beef kibble so we will try to avoid chicken from now on. I was initially sceptical that Chappie would be good for him but his coat is still nice and shiny and he seems to like it. Someone else commented recently that greyhounds do well on mid-price range kibbles so I have to put my food snobbery behind me and really, just accept that if it works for him (doesn’t give him the squits), don’t change it unless I have to!
We also gave Buddy YuDigest last year which did absolutely nothing for him. We now sprinkle a powder probiotic on his food three times a week called Sustain. It was also recommended by the vet. We also add yogurt to his morning meal (about 2tbsp) and kefir drink to his tea (free pour - about 50ml). I’m not sure that they are doing anything for him but he likes them so we are sticking with it.
We find that the first poop of his walks is always solid. They become softer with each poop and I think it’s to do with how quickly it moves through his system and how much water is absorbed from it. This seems to be Buddy’s base line so if he deviates much from that, then we look into what could be upsetting him but for now, this is his diet. Supplemented by many treats - particularly now I’ve discovered there’s a raw food shop in walking distance from my house!

14 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

I don’t want to give him anything with too much fat in case it gives him pancreatitis, but then we find his skin gets really flaky, so we have just started adding a little oil supplement to his Chappie.

When I first got Grace she had flaky skin and I used ExmaRid Deep Cleansing dog shampoo. It worked like magic ridding Grace of most of the flakes after one wash. The vet recommended Yuderm Moulting Dog for Grace's dandruff which works for her but I only give her half the recommended amount because of the squidgy poos if she has the full dose.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

20 minutes ago, HeyRunDog said:

When I first got Grace she had flaky skin and I used ExmaRid Deep Cleansing dog shampoo. It worked like magic ridding Grace of most of the flakes after one wash. The vet recommended Yuderm Moulting Dog for Grace's dandruff which works for her but I only give her half the recommended amount because of the squidgy poos if she has the full dose.

Thanks for this, i will keep them in mind

On 5/2/2021 at 4:39 PM, MerseyGrey said:

This is where we are with Buddy - he is a stinky bum. I don’t want to give him anything with too much fat in case it gives him pancreatitis, but then we find his skin gets really flaky, so we have just started adding a little oil supplement to his Chappie. Chappie kibble was suggested by his vet after a few bouts of diarrhoea (related to him eating his own poop on a few different occasions). We have tried him on both the chicken and the beef Chappie, and while we could be imagining it, I think he’s slightly better on the beef. I posted on here just before Christmas about his tummy issues, and it was someone who is really experienced with greyhounds who suggested that he could be allergic to chicken. I thought the same as you about it being pretty much the go-to food for tummy upsets but his poo gets a slimy film on it when I’ve given him chicken. So the answer is - I don’t know if he is, but he seems to marginally better on beef kibble so we will try to avoid chicken from now on. I was initially sceptical that Chappie would be good for him but his coat is still nice and shiny and he seems to like it. Someone else commented recently that greyhounds do well on mid-price range kibbles so I have to put my food snobbery behind me and really, just accept that if it works for him (doesn’t give him the squits), don’t change it unless I have to!
We also gave Buddy YuDigest last year which did absolutely nothing for him. We now sprinkle a powder probiotic on his food three times a week called Sustain. It was also recommended by the vet. We also add yogurt to his morning meal (about 2tbsp) and kefir drink to his tea (free pour - about 50ml). I’m not sure that they are doing anything for him but he likes them so we are sticking with it.
We find that the first poop of his walks is always solid. They become softer with each poop and I think it’s to do with how quickly it moves through his system and how much water is absorbed from it. This seems to be Buddy’s base line so if he deviates much from that, then we look into what could be upsetting him but for now, this is his diet. Supplemented by many treats - particularly now I’ve discovered there’s a raw food shop in walking distance from my house!

Definitely sounds like Buddy and Rumble have a lot in common, poo-wise! I'll have another go with yoghurt, I was trying it but stopped in case it was that that was causing the nasty ones. I did also try Fortiflora probiotic, and while I can't say I noticed much difference, it definitely didn't have the same horrible effect as the YuDigest. Might have another go with the Sustain if I can find it. 

7 hours ago, Moo said:

Definitely sounds like Buddy and Rumble have a lot in common, poo-wise! I'll have another go with yoghurt, I was trying it but stopped in case it was that that was causing the nasty ones. I did also try Fortiflora probiotic, and while I can't say I noticed much difference, it definitely didn't have the same horrible effect as the YuDigest. Might have another go with the Sustain if I can find it. 

https://www.vetplusglobal.com/products/sustain/ This is what it looks like if you want to find it