Is this still seperation anxiety ?

Apologies for another SA post and thanks for the help so far. 

I'm a still lost and confused (again). We have made some good progress after weeks of working hard with the alone training. My boy will now happily let me leave and settle down with his kong. He will even follow me to the door and race back to his kong when he realises whats happening. 

After 4/5 minutes with his kong he will go up to the window and stare out for awhile then he'll retreat to the sofa and sit looking out the window with his ears alert. 

I am a bit confused if this is still anxiety or something else (some kind of guard duty??), the reason I ask is because he doesnt exhibit the typical symptoms you read about or that he used to get like the panting, barking etc. He will whine a little but not a great deal at all. He also doesn't get hugely excited when I return (he used to go crazy and was panting heavily), he will just come stick his head in the shopping bag and wag his tail. 

I am guessing it is still SA just not as pronounced as he used to have it? If so I need to time my returns before he goes to the window?

Sorry if this is basic, in all the guidance I've read I didnt come across such symptons. 

Thanks!

I would say not.  As long as he's quiet(er) and not destructive, I think you're on the right path with his Alone Training.  He's getting the idea and he doing great!  Does he eventually lay down or relax?  Work on his Kong and take a nap?  I would maybe start to stretch him out some and see how he does.

Good job!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agree with Chris   :thumbs-up

Make sure you continue to ignore him for several minutes when you come home.   My dogs usually don't even get up off their beds    

And yes... stretch out the time.  I think he will be fine.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Sound normal to me. I think there is a difference between SA and getting a dog used to being left alone which worries new owners which then worries their dog. You have done great in teaching him that being left alone is OK and that you will return.

Grace is happy to be left as long as she gets her Kong before I leave her and ignores me when I get back apart from looking up expectantly for her chew.

The looking out of the window is nothing to worry about. He's just watching the world go by and doesn't want to miss your return. Grace does the same, she watches out of the window when I first leave her until she gets bored, then she lies on her bed. If I've gone to work when she hears the school children passing on their way home she knows I'm not far behind and the window watching recomences.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Thanks so much for the help.

I left him half an hour which he spent the first 20 happily playing with his kong. He abandoned it at 20 mins and seemed a little agitated but as bad as he was by any means. He started to lay down right as I got back so he might have fully settled.

I'll keep doing sessions around 20 to 30 mins time and I'm sure he'll get comfortable and we can keep increasing.

Thanks again !