New England travel tips with a greyhound

Hi everyone! I haven't posted much at all here other than about hookworms...but I consistently enjoy reading the forums and have found so much great info here. We're trying to plan a trip for later in the summer/early fall in New England (we live in southeastern Massachusetts), and are looking for a small house or cottage that is pet-friendly, and most importantly, has a fenced-in yard! This is remarkably difficult to find on VRBO, AirBnB, or any other property rental sites.

Does anyone have any tips on where to look or search terms to use, or specific good places you've stayed with your pup somewhere in New England? We'd ideally like a large fenced in area (we already have a small fenced in area at home) and some proximity to the water (ideally ocean, but lakes are OK too).

Since I have barely posted here, also attaching a photo of Sally from when she swam in a lake last summer 🙂. We adopted her about a year and three months ago and she's six years old and we love her.

1883477747_IMG_7875(1).jpeg.6866bbacbe816c6816a53577bf9e8ac2.jpeg

Edited by SallysDad

Not sure if its still open but I stayed at the Paw House Inn  in Rutland Vermont.  They had a fairly large fenced in area with agility coarse.  I had 2 greyhounds at the time and they loved running in there.  Some nearby hiking, restaurants.  Not sure about lakes though.  Take a look.  It was an awesome place. 

I had success looking for a rental house/yard (although not in New England) on www.bringfido.com

We'll need more pictures after you return!  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

On 7/14/2020 at 5:46 AM, SIGreyLady said:

No idea about properties but you Sally is a beauty.

Aw thanks! We think so too.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:45 PM, zimsmom said:

Not sure if its still open but I stayed at the Paw House Inn  in Rutland Vermont.  They had a fairly large fenced in area with agility coarse.  I had 2 greyhounds at the time and they loved running in there.  Some nearby hiking, restaurants.  Not sure about lakes though.  Take a look.  It was an awesome place. 

Thanks for the tip! We'll check it out.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:41 AM, EllenEveBaz said:

I had success looking for a rental house/yard (although not in New England) on www.bringfido.com

We'll need more pictures after you return!  

We've looked there a bit. Not much luck quite yet but are still looking... We were trying to plan something for later in the summer/early fall but we'll see.

I've attached a couple more pics of Sally :). We also have an Instagram for her, @sallythegreyt.

IMG_9996.jpeg

i have always communicated with the owners privately when renting thru airbnb. i personally use a crate when leaving the dog(s)- owners like that and stress the laid back temperament of the breed. exceptions to the rule have been made with my communications. 

remember flea and tick preventative.

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, cleptogrey said:

i have always communicated with the owners privately when renting thru airbnb. i personally use a crate when leaving the dog(s)- owners like that and stress the laid back temperament of the breed. exceptions to the rule have been made with my communications. 

remember flea and tick preventative.

We ended up reaching out to the owner of a place we rented via AirBnB a couple of times before, and they'll allow dogs with an additional cleaning fee! We bought some "snow fencing" (dark green so it's pretty inconspicuous) and stakes to fence off a portion of the outdoor area for Sally and we're really looking forward to it.