seatbelt harness?

clk5

Hi all! Just adopted my first grey, Otto, this weekend, and so far things are going pretty well. Looking ahead, I'm hoping to bring him on shortish roadtrips (4-5ish hours) to my parents' house across the state. For safety, and because he's already the type who likes to try to climb into the front seat, I'm trying to figure out what the best method is to keep him safe and relatively restrained in the car? His crate isn't going to fit in my cargo space (I have a Ford Escape) and I've looked at backseat slings, but I'm thinking he might also need a seatbelt harness or similar. Anyone have any luck/experience with a particular style/brand? Thanks! 

I have been using one the last few weeks for my girls has a caribiner that clips into their harness and then has a seat belt end that clips in.  I don't currently have a grey so my two are quite a bit smaller but it keeps them sitting in the seats.  I like it and got them at PetSmart for $10 each.

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

We have one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-Zip-Line-Leash-Carabiner/dp/B002AN6STC

which we used for Buddy on the back seat of my car. We put the main strap between the passenger handles above the doors and then attached the lead to that with the carabiner. The strap length is adjustable and the lead has loops along its length so you can restrict the dog as much as you need to. I’ve now bought a new car so I can fold the seats completely flat and he has the run of the boot and back seat space and think this will work in that configuration too.

I also have the kind that clip in where the seatbelts would but I found that it wasn’t really long enough to allow him to move around at all. I want him to be safe in an accident but not to strangle him while he’s finding his comfy spot so the Kurgo is better for us.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

This website has loads of good gear.  She is also a vendor here on GT.

Sit!  Stay Safe!

I also have rigged up a couple sections of xpen (you have to work to take them apart!) across the backs of the front seats with zip ties so the dog is contained in the back and can't climb forward.  There are products you can buy that do this, but this way is cheaper and easier.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I can't comment on a specific restraining system.  But whatever, do something to secure the dog.

About a month ago, my wife was driving to work and had her Corgi restrained in a dog seat in the back seat of her car.  It was dog day at work.  She was tee boned on the drivers side by someone who drove through a stop sign.  Her car landed on its roof and she and the pup were left hanging upside down for a few minutes until someone got them out.  Both were OK, but it could have been a lot worse.  Scared the heck out of the dog.  I shudder whenever I see a dog riding in the bed of a pickup truck.

The point I was making in the previous post was that even though the rear hatch and the driver's door flew open during the impact, my wife and the dog remained in the car because both were restrained by the seat belt and dog harness.