Food for dog with pancreatitis

We are supposed to start weaning Bella off of her bland meals (hamburger and rice, she won't eat chicken).

She won't eat the Hills I/d that we had started.She won't eat the Hills I/d canned. Shenwont eat the hamburger and rice if a handful of the Hill's is mixed in - she was eating it before we started the hamburger and rice. I don't mind adding things to get her to eat but I know the hamburger and rice isn't enough long term.

Any thoughts? My vet hasn't been all that helpful on this, she keeps coming back to the Hill's.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Purina and Royal Canin both make veterinary foods for digestive issues.  Purina's is EN, Royal Canin's is Gastrointestinal something-or-other.  Dogs that don't like the Hill's often do like Purina's.  If your vet doesn't have them, she ought to know a local vet who does.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

why do you need to wean her off the bland rice diet? felix survived on it with failing kidneys and chronic pancreatitis for well over a year and he was a happy camper eating away- 4 meals a day.my vet was really pleased that he did as well as he did on that- my saluki who survived parvo lived on rice for years and my scottie w/ addison's disease had failing kidneys at the end and lived on rice. no ID diet for them! i will use ID short term if a dog is ill, but long term....it's $$$$. 

if you are worried about vitamin deficiency then throw a multi-vitamin in or maybe Nupro. Bella is an old lady, let her enjoy what she likes- as long as she is eating. the chicken congee that we used to make can be made with beef and rice- just cook all of it together in either a rice cooker or stock pot. add some beef broth for additional flavor and just nuke when serving. at her age it's keeping her eating and happy, no? like my 95 year old mom- i tell her if it tastes good, just eat it. their taste buds(both dog and human) change when they age. 

Edited by cleptogrey

Thank you :) Yes, the I/D and Royal Canin are $$$$. Part of it is about what is manageable and sustainable for us as well. She had been taken off of her thyroid med and is now back on it and is doing so much better.

Ok, well, now we are at the point where if she will eat hamburger, she gets hamburger. That and treats are about all she will eat now, so let her have what she wants. 

Thanks! She's refusing all kibble so went back to hamburger and rice and other things that she will eat :)