Proper Weight

New to site, first post.

Have had my 2.5 year old male Greyhound for 3 months. When I got him he was about 3 weeks off the track and weighed 67 pounds. His ribs were prominent. The adoption agency said he was lean and could use another 3 to 5 pounds.

I have been feeding him 2 cups of Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice with a little baked skinless chicken breast twice a day, about 1/3 cup. He loves it and it agrees with him. Solid stool,etc.

He now weighs 70 pounds and I can only see an outline of his last couple ribs. Just right to my untrained eye. He gets 3 good walks a day, 20-40 minutes a walk.

Should I cut back on the Purina to 1 and 1/2 cups twice a day to maintain his weight at 70 pounds? I want to continue with the skinless chicken breast. It helps maintain his coat.

Thanks

Taking a full cup per day out all at once may lead to him being hungry. I would back it off 1/4 cup at a time every 2-3 weeks until you see him maintaining the weight you want him at.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

it's the food that's doing wonders for his coat! pro plan is better than you think! no fat in the skinless/chicken breast. that's a tasty add on. sardines in olive oil are better for the coat. nupro supplement is a great topper, add water and it's tasty liver broth. my whippet is on pro plan/salmon and rice. his black coat shines like a mirror- no add in/on.

for an active 49#, 4 year old boy- jamie eats 1.5 c daily.

my older female at 1.75c(or less) and maintained 66#s

male who was 72-4# ate nearly 4 cups daily. if he looked heavy i cut it down 1/4c per meal.

my dogs generally walk 4 miles a day and play in the yard. when the weather is bad and they can't walk i always cut the food down.

i would try 1.75 cups per meal. that 1/4 cup makes a difference. also mind the snack situation. i'm not big on snacks. so basically it's kibble for calories.