Is Anyone Have Tried Giving Cannabis To Your Pets For Medical Purposes

Guest Eddy790

Guest Eddy790

My dog is having a hard time pooping and I gave him some medicines that his vet doc advised, but nothing is working. So, I did my own research and I have read many articles about medical cannabis and how it can help them in terms of chronic pain, bone injuries, eating disorder, inflammation, and a lot more. Alternatively, they've also found new ways to infuse cannabis on food and beverages. If this is true I can't find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

I'm a toxicologist (human) so I can't speak for animals, but I can give a general opinion.

Cannabis is (was in Canada) illegal and research has been limited due to that and the number of permit required. So you won't find super results just yet. I am guessing that research in Canada will make many great advances.

While it seems to help in many type of ailment, it is nothing but a patch on the symptoms and definitely not a cure, so if you give CBD oil for example to treat joint pain and it works, the pain is still there underneath, but it will not be felt until the next dose is required.

So while it might help, itwill not solve the issue :) I have never tried for myself ormy animals, so I can't give an opinion on that! I hope it helps!

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I have been giving Conner CBD oil for his fear of thunder and fireworks. It definitely helps (works better for fireworks than thunder :dunno ) I have recently started giving it daily for his arthritis and pain in his bad foot (old injury) at his vet's recommendation. He is feeling better, but I started the oil at the same time as other treatments, so I can't say for sure how much is the oil, how much the other things.

I've been giving my guy CBD Oil for his arthritis and disk problems in his neck and it definitely has helped him. He also takes Tramadol and Previcox, but adding the CBD oil has made a big difference in his mobility and he is more playful now with his sisters.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Just wanted to add that it should be the product without THC, the psychoactive part of cannabis. I have read that THC is toxic for dogs.

No, it's not. I started giving CBD for Buttercup's epilepsy at my vet's advice (in addition to the prescription drugs she's on). There's a vet named Dr. Robert Silver who practices in Colorado where marijuana is legal. He 's written extensively about medical marijuana for both dogs and cats. He's published guidelines for administering CBD both with and without significant amounts of THC and it's what I've relied on when giving it to Buttercup. There CAN be adverse effects to giving too MUCH THC, so you DO need to be careful about the dosing, however. I should mention, also, that I live in Nevada, where marijuana is legal, so I have access to products with THC. Most anything you buy online or in most states will not have enough THC in it to worry about.

This PDF is what I have relied on for dosing Buttercup with CBD. I belong to a couple of CBD for canine epilepsy groups on Facebook and this handout is pretty much the Bible when it comes to figuring out dosing. http://hawthornevet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Medical-Marijuana-and-Your-Pet.pdf

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

While it seems to help in many type of ailment, it is nothing but a patch on the symptoms and definitely not a cure, so if you give CBD oil for example to treat joint pain and it works, the pain is still there underneath, but it will not be felt until the next dose is required.

Thank you. I'm glad that I've finally heard someone point that out.

Yes, it treats the symptoms, not the cause. It is good for things like arthritis which have no cure, but you should always consult your vet for the underlying cause of the pain (or other symptoms) Also, while it seems fine for most dogs, like anything else, some individuals can have negative reactions, another reason to have your vet on board.