Afraid Of Going For A Walk

Guest MikeM

I recently adopted a greyhound (also my first dog ever). Things have been going fairly well and were both adjusting.

A new issue has come up that Im having trouble with though. I cant get him to go on a walk through the neighborhood. The first few days we went on walks and he was scared of cars driving by and would pull on the leash. So I tried doing some loose leash training in my yard that seems to be going well. The problem is that whenever we go out, he wants to head straight for the yard and statues if I try to pull him towards the street.

Ive tried calling, pulling, and treats but the best I can get is one or two steps and he backs up. On one hand, I feel like Im rewarding his behavior by giving in and going to the yard, but on the other hand its a much better alternative than him using the house as a bathroom!

I know itll take time and patience, but does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to coax him out? Im getting jealous of all the people calmly walking their dogs down the street 😂

My Iker is the same way, even after seven years. Things got much better when I changed the walking route, as it seems the first one I ever tried with him scared him. I also started to walk him out night, when there are fewer people around. I also avoid busy routes as best I can.

Some people recommend walking him in a circle when he stops, just to refocus him. You can try that.

I'm working with a behaviourist on Iker and this is what we've done. I walk him in quiet places using a 15' leash, which I gather and loosen depending on his needs. I let him decide where we're going, just to show him that he has a choice and to help get him to trust me. I encourage him a lot, but I don't force anything. I've been going to a quiet area of a local park. It's been very successful and he actually seems to enjoy it. He started to improve on street walks, but then I broke my foot and won't be able to walk him again until the cast comes off. Anyway, it's worked wonders for Iker.

Edited to add that I give him lots of encouragement and try to give him great treats, which he never takes because he's Iker :lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My Iker is the same way, even after seven years. Things got much better when I changed the walking route, as it seems the first one I ever tried with him scared him. I also started to walk him out night, when there are fewer people around. I also avoid busy routes as best I can.

Some people recommend walking him in a circle when he stops, just to refocus him. You can try that.

I'm working with a behaviourist on Iker and this is what we've done. I walk him in quiet places using a 15' leash, which I gather and loosen depending on his needs. I let him decide where we're going, just to show him that he has a choice and to help get him to trust me. I encourage him a lot, but I don't force anything. I've been going to a quiet area of a local park. It's been very successful and he actually seems to enjoy it. He started to improve on street walks, but then I broke my foot and won't be able to walk him again until the cast comes off. Anyway, it's worked wonders for Iker.

Edited to add that I give him lots of encouragement and try to give him great treats, which he never takes because he's Iker :lol

For Iker: :kiss2:beatheart

I had the same problem with Grace. I couldn't even get her to the end of the driveway. I tried all the usual, waiting, treats, walking round in circles, having a heart to heart with her, none of which worked. I got fed up with providing entertainment for the neighbours.

Then I came across a solution on another forum which worked.

Face the same way as your grey and put two fingers through the collar and grab it as you would a suitcase handle, a fishtail collar works best for this, and with a slight lifting and forward motion walk forward. At the same time give the command "lets go" or something similar. Apparently it's how the trainers put greyhounds into the traps at the races. Only had to do this a few times and now grace walks with no freezing.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Ive had some success the past 2 days! It still took some wrangling, but it seems like if we start walking towards the backyard and then turn around to walk towards the street, hell go along with it.

Im hoping it sticks!

Ill keep the collar trick in mind any other tips out there?

My boy would statue, to the point where I was often late to leave for work. No amount of budging would work, however, he saw a pair of very happy goldens going for a walk towards him and that got him going. He kept a quick pace after that so as to not get stuck again we jogged home.

Another dog might really help you (not necessarily getting one, but a neighbour, etc.) They are really sensitive dogs, it could be a billion reasons why he won't walk with you, and there are a few solutions like redirection, rewards, etc. Search "statuing" and you might have some luck there. Oh, and you might want to invest in a harness. I found that helped a lot.....it might give the dog more control because they can really put their shoulders into walking and pull you, but ultimately, you are able to control the dog better than by just using the neck - which could be painful in the long run.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Do you know anyone nearby with a greyhound or any other dog that is a friend to yours? If so, invite them to join your walks. Seeing them enjoy going for a walk will show your dog that walks are fun and nothing to be scared of.

Dogs are pack animals...see if one of your neighbors can walk their dog with you.

Most of the neighbors have small, house dogs they dont really take for walks, so it wont be easy to find one to walk with.

He was good for a couple of days but started freezing up again. Ill look into a harness and do some searches on statuing.

I had the same problem with Grace. I couldn't even get her to the end of the driveway. I tried all the usual, waiting, treats, walking round in circles, having a heart to heart with her, none of which worked. I got fed up with providing entertainment for the neighbours.

Then I came across a solution on another forum which worked.

Face the same way as your grey and put two fingers through the collar and grab it as you would a suitcase handle, a fishtail collar works best for this, and with a slight lifting and forward motion walk forward. At the same time give the command "lets go" or something similar. Apparently it's how the trainers put greyhounds into the traps at the races. Only had to do this a few times and now grace walks with no freezing.

Having searched the forums I've found the original one posted by Greyt_dog_lover. You can read his original post here:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/252118-our-new-grey-freezes-on-walks-what-to-do/?hl=%2Bfreezes+%2Bwalks

his advice is the 9th reply

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Amismom

What harness do you recommend?

My boy would statue, to the point where I was often late to leave for work. No amount of budging would work, however, he saw a pair of very happy goldens going for a walk towards him and that got him going. He kept a quick pace after that so as to not get stuck again we jogged home.

Another dog might really help you (not necessarily getting one, but a neighbour, etc.) They are really sensitive dogs, it could be a billion reasons why he won't walk with you, and there are a few solutions like redirection, rewards, etc. Search "statuing" and you might have some luck there. Oh, and you might want to invest in a harness. I found that helped a lot.....it might give the dog more control because they can really put their shoulders into walking and pull you, but ultimately, you are able to control the dog better than by just using the neck - which could be painful in the long run.