Senior Grey Help

Guest Charlieb

Guest Charlieb

My 13 year old male grey has started losing weight and muscle mass. I'm afraid it may be close to the time where I may have to make a hard decision. When do you know? Other than being lathargic and panting he doesn't seem to be in pain

There are many reasons a senior dog may start losing weight. A vet check should be your first step, it may be something simple and treatable. Conner, 13.5 yrs, was losing weight this spring, and my vet had me add digestive enzymes to his meals and add an extra small meal, he is fine now, but of course it could be something serious, so your vet needs to take a look at him.

Definitely a vet check. Panting can be an indication of some pain or many other things, many of which can be treated. Good luck. Hope your boy is feeling better soon.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

If your vet says he's up to it, some gentle, regular exercise is good for body, soul, and muscle mass to help keep those back legs strong enough.

As far as The Time, I belong to the Better a Day Early than a Day Late school. Many people draw up a mental list of the things their dog loves absolutely the most, and when they're no longer able to do one or more of those things, it's time. But it's a brutal decision no matter what.

Wishing you and your boy many good days ahead.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Add an extra small meal to keep some weight on - it is difficult to do anything about the muscle unless the dog is able to exercise. Maybe try Fresh factors by Springhill as a supplement - link is

https://www.amazon.com/Springtime-Fresh-Factors-Dogs-Digestion/dp/B009Q7UFWG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536681308&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fresh+factors&psc=1

You might want to consider water treadmill therapy for your dog. It takes the weight off their legs while getting the legs moving. You might have a vet that offers it in your area.