Poor Appetite- Multiple Issues

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/323280-kidney-disease/?hl=%2Bfelix+%2Bkidney

update; felix has been having good and now more bad days. he's still catching that ball on the fly! since i posted the last time i have been cooking for him, not joe- a sandwich for me(oh, sharp cheddar on ciabatta w/ fresh lettuce- that's my comfort food). but felix....well, he's not too happy about anything except green tripe and white bread. i guess those are his comfort foods these days. nutritionally i know it's a joke- that's why i'm posting.

his diet has included kibble, white rice, yams, pasta(he only will eat it with red sauce), graham crackers, bread- lots of bread and GREEN TRIPE, boiled chicken. all but the last 3 items are being refused. i have come from the school of hard knocks and generally will just take it away and serve again. but when a dog is not medically sound i do bend over backwards to encourage eating.

presently he's on zofran combined w/ pecid ac/20 mg- 2xs a day for the nausea. amoxicillin, thyroid med, tramadol and just threw in some gabapentin(vet said ok). he's pretty lethargic until late afternoon/early evening.i'm giving him vit. b12 w/ amino acids & Nupro supplement & fish oil along w/ some clay that's keeping his poops in better shape so i can clean up.

then, daily there is proof that he ain't dead yet- he's crazy- doesn't run but charges after frisbees, balls, kong play sticks. he's out there w/ his new partner in crime, Jamie who generally does whipped style warp speed zoomies.

any suggestions on getting some food into him. remember low fat/low protein is what he needs-

thanks in advance for your suggestions

andrea

Maybe ask your vet about mirtazapine? Chase had congestive heart failure and other issues and every day was a struggle to get calories into him until we put him on mirtazapine. It took about 4 days to kick in, but after that he never really turned down anything for the last 21 months of his life.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Good suggestion from Tracey.

Do you think he needs both the Zofran and the Pepcid? Both at once might suppress his appetite a bit. 'Course you don't want him to get nauseous and throw everything up either.

A dog could live for a long time on green tripe, chicken, and bread. You might be able to sneak a few more things in by mixing them into the green tripe, but I wouldn't worry about it much.

Hugs and hopes for many more good days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

i did ask about the combo of drugs, as my vet explained to me the two will keep the nausea and acid down. when he was on pecid only he didn't eat at all. we are getting the chicken/tripe/bread in and around 1 c of kibble daily if lucky. knowing your experience batmom i feel better. he is getting supplements, but is skin and bones and i generally try to keep my dogs on the thinner side so i must admit that's he's really skinny. and i lived with adolescent salukis who looked like they came from Biafra and felix looks like that. but he still catches a ball and does his best to beat jamie to it!

thanks, will ask. the vet tech is really responsive. dr. T, knows her meds well and knowing felix she has avoided re-dosing him w/ doxy and has used other combos for the anaplasmosis and lyme. what she explained to me is the approach was to get to the one cell organism and the chloro....what ever(i always forget) gets deep into the tissue. also, the dosage of amoxicillin is higher than usual and that is found to be as effective. i know when joe(dh) had his last tick bite and circle around it it was 2 days a intense amoxicillin- no doxy this time.

i'm curious as to why she prefers zofran. it looks like they both do the same thing.

it seems as if his appetite waxes and wanes. we did get a couple of good meals down, then he didn't eat for a day, then scarfed up food. friends who haven't seen him in a while thought he looked fabulous....???here's a video of his favorite activity. i guess what ever is going in just is doing the trick. my vet recommended that we stick w/ the schedule right now. thanks everyone! and a big thanks from FELIX!38814137_1981942555158384_63919142113116https://www.facebook.com/andrea.guttman/videos/1981825491836757/?t=0

Edited by cleptogrey

He's quite the catcher!

Was Felix the model for this? I think we bought this picture from you at Dewey.

0g5POqT.jpg

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

no, felix has really bad ears! but it does look just like your dog! joe really understands red fawns- he get's it right every time! you should introduce yourself to us if you are going this year.(rm 114 atlantic oceanside)

You guys were slammed when we were there and then we never got back to the hotel a second time. DW bought that pretty fast when she saw it because it looks like Rocket, and then cleared out to make room for more people to shop.

This year is on our calendar but will be a last minute decision due to medical and work issues happening. We hope to be able to go so fingers are crossed that we can make it work.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 3 weeks later...

just wanted to thank all for input. somehow we got felix eating. it must be pain management, the gabapentin kicked in. his ribs are not so ribs- hips are there, but they always have been. with less muscle tone he's always going to be skinnier. just posted this in a harness blog here on gt. YIPPEE....he's looking like less than a skeleton! it must be the drugs and the 1/2 loaf of white bread that he consumes daily!40402792_2017481491604490_61189701090976